Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:54:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 257088 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #350 on: December 19, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

In a bizarre story, NDP MLA Lenore Zann filed a complaint that started a cyber-bullying investigation after someone tweeted a nude image of her from her acting days. The complaint has since been dropped, but this is an example of how anti-bullying legislation can go too far. Getting filmed nude on HBO is a different kettle of fish than sexting pictures being circulated.

Wasn't this an issue in 2009?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #351 on: December 19, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »

Did I really call Julian's refusal? Good lord.

Of course pundits will spin this into a general "no one wants to be NDP leader!" narrative, but it's more subtle than it looks. The executive until the 2013 election was still ran by brass from the Clark days (Sihota, Dix) and for good reason. But it has been fifteen years, and people like the federal MPs are nowhere near that group. Julian was a community activist; Donnelly environmental. They're closer to Green MLA Andrew Weaver than anything.

In wake of the election, the 90s generation have a candidate; Mike Farnworth, who ran last election on a credibility platform. You're going to hear party members say he'll be coronated, but who knows? That the BCNDP has not been able to articulate a winning coalition means no one knows what the ideal candidate should be.

EDIT: Kennedy Stewart (MP Burnaby-Douglas) is still thinking. But this is more out of necessity, since Burnaby North-Seymour next election will screw him hard.

He doesn't have to run in Burnaby-Seymour, I think they can all shuffle around to have at least marginal ridings to defend.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #352 on: December 19, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »

Not everyone has ipolitics accounts, not even us EKOS employees. Tongue

Here is the full results: http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2013/12/political-landscape-freezes-with-winter-cold-december-19-2013/

(No accolades, I didn't work on this one)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #353 on: December 20, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »

Supreme Court has unanimously ruled that prostitution laws are unconstitutional! (Despite a majority of the court being Harper appointees)

Good decision in my opinion.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #354 on: December 25, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »

It's tradition in Canada to eat turkey on Christmas. It's removed enough from Thanksgiving (which is in early October) so as to not be repetitive.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #355 on: December 31, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »

Ontario will definitely go. With all the talk about Quebec going in the Fall, isn't it likely they will go too?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

I think the Liberals will win a majority in Quebec.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »

Hi.

First off, we've started a new thread, but I'll address your questions anyways.

The BQ is generally left of centre, because most sovereigntists are left of centre. There are some right wing sovereigntists, but not many. They are theoretically a big tent party.

I'm sure many BQ voters voted CAQ on the provincial level, although the strongest CAQ areas were also the strongest Conservative areas, so the Tories are obviously their main federal counterpart.

To answer your last question, why wouldn't a Quebec social conservative vote Conservative like anywhere else in the country? Or are you confusing the PQ (provincial) with the BQ (federal)? Provincially, a social conservative sovereigntist is a rare breed.  Not sure who they would vote for. I know RB abstains from voting, but he might be a federalist. He's been mum as to why he doesn't vote for CAQ, PLQ or the provincial conservatives (which are federalist, but a fringe party)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies