Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:38:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255585 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »

I'd like to think the Grits have learned their lesson, since they haven't advocated such policies in the past 6 years. But in this case, it was Harper who wanted to override provincial jurisdiction and the opposition which objected. Both Dippers and Grits are centralistic, and Harper's centralistic or devolutionist depending on the subject.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1112925--hebert-liberals-top-down-view-of-federalism-out-of-date
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 12:01:22 AM »

RogueBeaver, considering that that article about First Nations education policy mentions Canada's history of using education to undermine First Nations cultures, have any major tribes come out either in favor of or opposition to the Government's proposals yet? Also, am I correct in understanding that, at least in the Senate, this isn't an entirely partisan issue?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:29 AM »

Yes!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »

Quebec Dipper backbencher defects to the Grits. She represents the Strangler's old riding. IIRC this is the first defection since Blair Wilson's 4 years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/01/10/pol-lib-rae-coderre.html
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/01/09/pol-joe-oliver-radical-groups.html

Does this pathetic government no longer even try to not appear as some Tea Party far-right joke? And yeah, I'm a "radical" and proud of it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »

Bah, I hate turn coats in general, I feel like it's an injustice to the riding that elected the person in question. But, 71 and battling cancer, jumping to the third party in Parliament... I don't see her having a future in the next Parliament.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »

Which begs the question of why Coderre engineered this in the first place.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

Now they're making a big deal over her backing for Mulcair.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mp-who-backed-mulcair-for-ndp-leader-defects-to-liberals/article2297353/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »

Updated seat count:

CPC: 165
NDP: 101
LPC: 35
BQ: 4
IND: 1
VAC: 1
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »

Quebec Dipper backbencher defects to the Grits. She represents the Strangler's old riding. IIRC this is the first defection since Blair Wilson's 4 years ago.

It is me, or the article is more or less implying than she left because she didn't got a good position.
Anyways, she will lose next time, if she bothers to run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »

It is me, or the article is more or less implying than she left because she didn't got a good position.
Anyways, she will lose next time, if she bothers to run.

She probably won't run, and the seat will probably flip.

What's also interesting: article says Coderre still has organizational duties. Last I checked all real power was devolved to bureaucrats, with the "lieutenant" becoming a "caucus liaison to Pelciquiste board" after the Candidate Swap Incident 3 years ago.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »

Ugh... good riddance. Apparently she was one of the MPs that were making us look bad. Never campaigned in the riding, never moved there (nor is planning to), doesn't know the words to O Canada...  and some of her opposition to our policies are baffling to. You don't support the Libyan mission? Well guess what, the Liberals supported it to. Only the Greens were against it. Why arent you switching to them? And you're against abolishing the Senate? Well, so am I, but it's hardly a pressing issue. And Im sure your constituents just LOVE the Senate. If the NDP became the government, then it would be an issue... She also said her constituents just voted for Jack... but I think the fact that the NDP still leads the polls in Quebec shows that that is not entirely true.

Also, I am 100% in favour of the party's position of making turncoats resign to force a by-election. It's actually an idea I thought of on my own before learning it was party policy. This is what she should do.

As for the riding's future, if the NDP remains the #1 party in Quebec, it should keep the riding. It certainly wont be going Liberal. If the BQ gets a resurgence, than they might be able to pick it up. If there was a by-election held now, I think the NDP would win it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

I agree with the by-election idea.

Also, interesting: Rae says he doesn't know whether or not this is an isolated event. Depends on how things develop politically this year IMO. As it is the Pelciquistes are a small but talented and experienced group- they don't need (and shouldn't want) dead weight just to pad their seat count.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mp-defects-to-liberals-ndp-decries-lack-of-respect-for-democracy/article2297353/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »

This is ridiculous. If federalism's an issue, don't run with the Sherbrooke Declaration party.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1113145--ndp-mp-lise-st-denis-defects-to-the-liberals
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »

No by-elections. The riding shouldn't have to go to the polls for their MP being stupid and crossing the aisle.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »

No by-elections. The riding shouldn't have to go to the polls for their MP being stupid and crossing the aisle.

But they voted for the NDP, not the Liberals! How would you feel if Charlie Angus defected? I bet you'd want to get the chance to vote him out. Unless you like Charlie that much more than the NDP...
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »

I do like Charlie more than the party yes, and I don't think Timmins-James Bay will ever get a better representative when he retires. But no by-election. I'd probably abstain from voting in the next election (he'd lose anyway).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »

The last time a defector was reelected would be Scott Brison in 2004- but he had a legitimate reason and never really changed his ideological stripes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »

Belinda Stronach also got re-elected after defecting.

I do like Charlie more than the party yes, and I don't think Timmins-James Bay will ever get a better representative when he retires. But no by-election. I'd probably abstain from voting in the next election (he'd lose anyway).

OK, but I'm sure this MP's constituents don't prefer her over the party.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »

I don't understand why anyone would join the Liberal Party.

They shouldn't get a say about that?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »

From her comments, it sounds like she was a Dipper who didn't realize that ideologically, she's a Grit.

On another subject, since my "LPC policy convention" thread never really got going, should I post about that here or in the Grit leadership thread?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

From her comments, it sounds like she was a Dipper who didn't realize that ideologically, she's a Grit.

It seems that way, but who could possibly not realize this, especially in Quebec. Why volunteer and run for a party with no history there, when there is a big red machine that has historically actually won seats in Quebec.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

Dunno. Grit brand is still toxic in ROQ anyhow. And she should thank her benefactor, the Strangler, for that.

Anyhoo, I think I'll place any non-leadership related stuff from the Grit convention here and anything leadership-related in that thread.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »

They shouldn't get a say about that?

So what, a referendum when there's a defection about whether or not there should be a by-election, and then one if they want one?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »

'Les électeurs ont voté pour Jack Layton. Jack Layton est mort.'

Jesus Christ. You stay classy, Mme St-Denis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies