Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:50:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255590 times)
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« on: June 05, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »

We definitely need to improve our Maritime bench in 2015. Truth be told I have my doubts MacKay even runs when the time comes, for fairly obvious reasons.

Indeed. Brison always struck me as the heavyweight in NS conservatism. To be fair to the Maritimes, we only have 13 MP's. There's more equal* selection among MP's from Calgary than New Brunswick Tongue

*Calgary has 8  MP's Tongue
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:58:53 AM »

That's quite the  flood evac going on in Calgary right now.

Haha, tell me about it.  It's at times like this that I'm thankful that I live on fairly high ground, and away from the rivers.  But I was down at the reservoir tonight, the water is much higher than normal and lots more is rushing in from the north.  The dam's going to overflow soon, I just hope that people in the evac areas heeded the warnings. 

Tomorrow's going to be unusual too, it's the first day since I moved to Calgary 11 years ago that things got serious enough for the downtown core and all the schools to close.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »

*Sigh*
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:15:06 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2013, 01:17:00 AM by Mideast Assemblyman Njall »

I doubt it, at least for the immediate future, but if he's charged then that could change things.  If he does resign, this could be a tough seat for the PC's to hold, given the circumstances.  Allen won with 49% in 2012, versus 43% for the Wildroser (although the Wildroser was the incumbent, so take from that what you will).

But yeah, turnout would probably be very low.  I'm pretty sure less than 8,000 people voted there in the general election.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »

They're showing the Greens at 8.5% nationally.  They're also showing them as getting 13.6% in BC, 10.9% in Manitoba (albeit with an 11.2% MOE) and 9.7% in Ontario.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken, he had mentioned support of marijuana legalization during the leadership campaign.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

The RCMP were just trying to do their job, under the difficult and stressful circumstances of an emergency situation.  While she does have an obligation to represent her constituents, Smith is coming off as as nothing more than an opportunist by trying to tie the actions of federal officers to the provincial government.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2013, 08:34:16 AM by Mideast Assemblyman Njall »

Lines being drawn in the lead-up to Calgary's Municipal elections: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Civic+interest+groups+headed+electoral+battleground/8930255/story.html?rel=841484
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »

I have to disagree with this.  While the mayoral race will be a coronation, the city council elections will be quite intriguing.  The home developers out here have issue with Nenshi's ideas, and they (along with the Manning Centre) are funding "business-friendly" candidates in hopes of getting an anti-Nenshi majority on the council, to put it simply.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »

Hmm. Is there a list somewhere of their slate? Or perhaps a list somewhere that details the ideology of the council/candidates?

I plan on doing an analysis for my blog, and it would be interesting to know.

Well, there isn't quite an official slate, as the developers know enough to know that that wouldn't go over well.  But as this article says, there is a group of candidates that are known to have ties to the home developers and to the Manning Centre, and are essentially a slate in all but name.  Something to keep in mind here as well is that these candidates aren't the only ones that the home developers support; they're just the ones who are running in seats held by more left-leaning incumbents.  The incumbents in Ward 3 (Jim Stevenson), Ward 5 (Ray Jones), Ward 10 (Andre Chabot), Ward 12 (Shane Keating), Ward 13 (Diane Colley-Urquart), and Ward 14 (Peter Demong) are also seen as 'business-friendly,' but given the advantage that incumbent aldermen normally have, they're being given less attention and help.

In terms of ideology, there isn't a full platform that they all follow, but they are all seen as fiscal conservatives who would be more open to allowing the suburban sprawl to continue at its current pace.  Nenshi has signalled support in the past for more focus on development in the urban core, as well as for higher fees paid by the home developers when building in the suburbs (the current fees are quite a bit less than the costs that the city has to burden in order to expand service infrastructure to new communities).

As a side note, here is a list of all candidates running in the election, as well as links to their websites and twitter feeds and so on.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »

These six are the candidates cited in the media as having connections to Cal Wenzel and the Manning Centre
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:24:26 AM »

Checking in from the PC Alberta youth summit in Sylvan Lake.  Lots has been going on; the Premier was here for lunch, and Senator Black was guest of honour at dinner.  Something of interest to note; The Premier's Communications Director told us that the September monthly PC internals had the PC's at 38%, with the Wildrose at 29, Liberals at 19, and NDP at 11.  Take from that what you will.  Alongside that, he said ~60% of Albertans say that the province is on the right track (not that exact wording, but it was that type of question)
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »

Ted Menzies, MP for Macleod, has resigned from the House of Commons.  He had previously stated that he wouldn't be running in 2015.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »

So I understand there was a provincial reshuffle in Alberta?

Yup.  http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/edmonton/story/1.2454624

The notable changes are:
-Dave Hancock replacing Thomas Lukaszuk as Deputy Premier and Minister of Innovation and Advanced Education
-Lukaszuk is now Minister of Jobs, Skills, Training, and Labour
-Manmeet Bhullar (Service Alberta) replaces Hancock as Minister of Human Services
-Doug Griffiths (Municipal Affairs) replaces Bhullar as Minister of Service Alberta
-Ken Hughes (Energy) replaces Griffiths as Minister of Municipal Affairs
-Diana McQueen (Environment) replaces Hughes as Minister of Energy
-Ric McIver (Transportation) and Wayne Drysdale (Infrastructure) switch jobs
-Fred Horne (Health), Doug Horner (Finance), Jonathan Denis (Justice), Jeff Johnston (Education), amongst others, stay where they are
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »

Will Calgary finally be free of the embarrassment known as Rob Anders come 2015?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies