So how did this guy get Re-elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  So how did this guy get Re-elected?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: So how did this guy get Re-elected?  (Read 30605 times)
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2005, 11:15:48 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2005, 11:32:41 PM by George W. Bush »

It is offten said that toadys news is tommrows history, so how will history view the 2004 election? Consider this, The incumbent president was hated by large segments of the population. He was riduculed regularly as a moron, a western hick, and a simple minded ideologue guided too much by faith- based morality. He was said to be unable to grasp the complex problems faceing out county. His western Draw, Self-Mocking Humor and public speaking style were mocked by eastern sophisticates and intellectuals. Europeans called him our nations buffoon. Political cartoonists created insulting caricatures of the man.
   His handiling of the war was criticized as shotr-sighted, bumbling, unjustified or vengeful, while John Kerry promised to direct a much smarter, more complex strategy. His Opponents claimed that he misled the nation into war for other reasons, then belatedly made "freedom" the justification for it. The real reasons he he went t war according to them was to cater to wealthy industrialists and big companys who profit from it.
    They protested that it was an illegal war, with no constitutional basis and no international support. They charged him with violating their constitutional rights in the name of national security. The president was Widely blaimed for causing the biggest public division in the nations history. He was attacked by pundits as a colossal failure.
    What kind of president could generate so much hostility and ridicule for both personal and official failings? How will history judge such an incompetent, polarizing hick? Well, Historians have already judged him. These conclusions were drawn from the news reports of the 1864 election when Abraham Lincoln was our Incumbent wartime president. The Major news media, then as now, were on the wrong side of history.  If President Bush's bold strategy (the Bush Doctrine) ultimately succeeds against terrorism, where will future historians place him? My guess, Is near the top of the pile.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 11:32:43 PM »

Depends on whose history you're talking about.  For his supporters, he was a strong champion of American values, life, liberty, and democracy who truly understood what it meant to be a leader and who was unjustly mocked by ridiculous, egotistical intellectuals who were so hopelessly out of touch with reality that it was laughable.  For his opponents, he was a moronic, self-serving, arrogant brat whose only support came from people even dumber than him: people whose only care in life is the Bible and bigotry.

Hopefully, no one from either of these groups will be writing the history.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 11:40:17 PM »

Depends on whose history you're talking about.  For his supporters, he was a strong champion of American values, life, liberty, and democracy who truly understood what it meant to be a leader and who was unjustly mocked by ridiculous, egotistical intellectuals who were so hopelessly out of touch with reality that it was laughable.  For his opponents, he was a moronic, self-serving, arrogant brat whose only support came from people even dumber than him: people whose only care in life is the Bible and bigotry.

Hopefully, no one from either of these groups will be writing the history.

Hah, that's actually a very good assessment.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 12:48:30 AM »

Bush is not a "Westerner."

He's a New Englander posing as a Southerner.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 01:23:29 AM »

He grew up in Midland, Texas.
I was born in Maine and I lived there for 4 years, and I'm Sure as hell not a New Englander.

Whatever your opinion, Texas is usually considered Southern these days. So he is not a Westerner.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 01:25:31 AM »

He grew up in Midland, Texas.
I was born in Maine and I lived there for 4 years, and I'm Sure as hell not a New Englander.

Whatever your opinion, Texas is usually considered Southern these days. So he is not a Westerner.

ok, I can Understand that.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 02:45:37 AM »

It depends on his second term. If Iraq spiralls even deeper into chaos, the WMD report damns him in March, and the economy tanks (yes, some are warning of stagflation), then he's toast. So far most historians agree he's been the worst president ever (look up Google if you disagree), but he could change.

JFK, if he was not shot, would have been reelected in a landslide but then would have bungled Vietnam like Nixon and not have been a hero he is today.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 03:36:39 AM »

If Iraq spiralls even deeper into chaos, the WMD report damns him in March, and the economy tanks (yes, some are warning of stagflation), then he's toast.

I wouldn't say that he would be toast.  He's already achieved the crown jewel of American politics: being a two-term president.  He can't get anything more.

The Republican Party, however, would probably be toast in the event that you describe.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 03:55:16 AM »

If Iraq spiralls even deeper into chaos, the WMD report damns him in March, and the economy tanks (yes, some are warning of stagflation), then he's toast.

I wouldn't say that he would be toast.  He's already achieved the crown jewel of American politics: being a two-term president.  He can't get anything more.

The Republican Party, however, would probably be toast in the event that you describe.
He's a weakened  two term president. And of the above happens, he would be remembered as an incompetent rich frat kid. And besides, if the WMD report paints a bad picture, his approval rate premenantly falls into the low 30-upper 20 category and the Dems gain both houses he could be impeached.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 04:22:45 AM »

He's a weakened  two term president. And of the above happens, he would be remembered as an incompetent rich frat kid. And besides, if the WMD report paints a bad picture, his approval rate premenantly falls into the low 30-upper 20 category and the Dems gain both houses he could be impeached.

I'm not sure how he's weakened.  He won the election with more electoral votes than last time and with a majority of the popular vote, and the Republicans expanded their majorities in both the House and the Senate.

If the above happens, he might be remembered as such, but I doubt he'd care.

I suppose that if you meant "toast" as in, in history's eyes, then you're right.  I thought you meant "politically toast".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 05:04:07 AM »

How did this guy get Re-elected?

1) Religion
2) Anti-gay bigotry
3) Fear

Of course a small minority of those who voted for him were motivated by an accurate estimation of their economic interests.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 05:20:01 AM »

He's in a much stronger position than any two term president since FDR.  It would take a series of catastrophies or scandals to weaken him. 
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 02:54:47 PM »

The "anti gay" stuff is a pile of it.

Just because you don't want gay marriage crammed down your throat doesn't mean your anti gay.  Something you lefties can't seem to understand.  Too bad.  Continue to lose elections then.  Fine with me.

Fear?  Element of truth to that one.  I was fearful as hell the left wing, pacifist wing of the Democratic Party (about 80% of the party these days) was gonna control national security.  The majority shared that fear.  Didn't trust Democratic Party on national security and well they shouldn't.

Religion?  Oh brother.  More of the Opedo paranoid obsession with Christianity. Being opposed to gay marriage is "anti-gay bigotry".  Contantly taking shots at Christians is what, Opedo?  Enlightened thinking?  You're the bigot.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 04:08:01 PM »

Uh, your not being forced to be gay.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 04:08:45 PM »

The "anti gay" stuff is a pile of it.

Just because you don't want gay marriage crammed down your throat doesn't mean your anti gay.  Something you lefties can't seem to understand.  Too bad.  Continue to lose elections then.  Fine with me.

Fear?  Element of truth to that one.  I was fearful as hell the left wing, pacifist wing of the Democratic Party (about 80% of the party these days) was gonna control national security.  The majority shared that fear.  Didn't trust Democratic Party on national security and well they shouldn't.

Religion?  Oh brother.  More of the Opedo paranoid obsession with Christianity. Being opposed to gay marriage is "anti-gay bigotry".  Contantly taking shots at Christians is what, Opedo?  Enlightened thinking?  You're the bigot.

Why do you think he's referred to as Opebigot?

I'm take the position that the MA should not tell PA what to do and support measures that would prohibit that.  I don't care what MA does in MA.  

The problem is this neo-facsist attitude on the part of the loony left, so typified by opebigot.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »

Here we see the neo-fascist loony left again.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

...and gays aren't "forced" to be straight.  Geez.  Loony left gets more goofy every day.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 05:40:42 PM »

yeah but thier forced to live with a straight definition of marriage.

The Taliban wing of the GOP gets more bigoted by the day.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »

Why don't you political failures ever worry about incestuous marriage and polygamous marriage?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2005, 05:54:18 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2005, 06:07:50 PM by phknrocket1k »

Were not the ones proposing the FMA, if its anybody whose worrying about marriage, its you.

And if anything that can be classified as a "political failure".
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2005, 06:22:19 PM »

Losing all three elected branches of government in ten years can be classified as a political failure.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 06:28:06 PM »

Bill Clinton just retired 4 years ago.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »

IN ten years, not for ten years.  Actually, the Democrats lost all three within six years.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 08:52:35 PM »

IN ten years, not for ten years.  Actually, the Democrats lost all three within six years.

We had them though Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 09:25:55 PM »

We had them though Smiley

The Confederacy had Richmond.  :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies