AH.com (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:42:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  AH.com (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AH.com  (Read 7779 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »

I'm a member and, indeed, found this place via there. I generally avoid the off-topic sections since they're full of unfunny in-jokes, people who post on TV Tropes and such, but otherwise it's not a bad site.

They have an idiotic time limit on how long you can edit posts, which irritates me greatly.

@Teddy - what kind of stuff are you talking about? Not disagreeing, I just can't remember reading any of the admin's posts.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »

I'm a member and, indeed, found this place via there. I generally avoid the off-topic sections since they're full of unfunny in-jokes, people who post on TV Tropes and such, but otherwise it's not a bad site.

They have an idiotic time limit on how long you can edit posts, which irritates me greatly.

@Teddy - what kind of stuff are you talking about? Not disagreeing, I just can't remember reading any of the admin's posts.

Are you kidding me? The site is like, 80% teenage omega males and basically anyone remotely interesting (non-"liberal" or not) either got banned or left. I was on the old board and let me tell you: the decline since 2004 on is really, really sad to watch. I don't think it's that much to ask that people that comment about history actually have somewhat of a background in that but...

Well, I agree that the site membership is mosty annoying teenagers, hence me more or less entirely avoiding the "Chat" sections.

Just to clarify, it's my characterisation of AH.com as "not bad" you're disagreeing with?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »

what the christ
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »

The halfway-decent members eventually migrate here.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »

As a member of both forums, this little "rage at AH.com" thread makes me laugh so hard my jaw hurts. I mean seriously, either side accusing the other of being "stuck-up" is absolutely hilarious. I would advise everybody involved to get over themselves. Ian's forum is Ian's forum, and though he's obviously biased and a bit tyrannical, he has good reasons to be so (would you want gigantic flame wars between pedantic history nerds over folks like Enoch Powell?). Plus, he's got about a decade of experience in being an Admin, so honestly I trust his judgement in most AH.com matters.

Still, I can see where the AH exiles are coming from. Ian does tend to rule with more of a fist of iron then most mods, and he is a bit paranoid in trying to prevent flame wars. Additionally, he tends to have more animosity towards religious folks (especially conservative religious folks) then the other members.

So I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle (cue South Park), though I'm a bit more biased towards Ian's point of view, having witnessed a lot of AH.cpm flame wars that could have been prevented by an early ban or kick by a mod.

Again, I think both the exiles/Atlas regulars and the AH.commers are taking this way too seriously.

Side note, when are you going to update An Era of Limits, oakvale? It's one of the best Post-1900 timelines on the site!

At this rate, probably sometime in 2016. Sad

I had most of a large-ish update written a month or so ago, but suffered a crisis of confidence and declined to post it. I recommend bumping the thread - that, usually, eventually, guilts me into putting something up. Sorry!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »

The main reason I refuse to post there any more is because of the time limit (IIRC it's a month or so) on post editing, which is absurd and stifling - it's an unbelievably wrongheaded policy.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

The main reason I refuse to post there any more is because of the time limit (IIRC it's a month or so) on post editing, which is absurd and stifling - it's an unbelievably wrongheaded policy.

Quite. Finding out you made errors several months later--or even more than a month later--is apparently an unforgivable offense and you're stuck with the crap you originally put up.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't go as far as to say "I refuse to post there" since I still do occasionally but it's a major grievance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies