2012 Elections in Germany (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:54:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 Elections in Germany (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012 Elections in Germany  (Read 115343 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »

except when both candidates with the most votes happen to be male, in that case the candidate with the most votes and the female candidate with the most votes are nominated instead (party statutes require at least one woman).

How increadibly stupid, they should just hold two seperate ballots, one for female candidates and one for male. And two women can win but not two men?

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

If I've ever said I prefer the Greens over the SPD I would like to officially flip-flop on that.

Now I don't agree with the Swedish Green Party's gender over merit system, but I can understand it. But a gender over merit system as long as you're the right gender? How do you possibly even justify that? 
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's a terrible defense. You're not very good at being the devil's advocate, I'm sorry to say.

You can have two women if the men allow it? Do you not hear how medieval that sounds? Besides it's not even mathimaticly correct, even if the men are 67% of the electorate, you could still have the men vote for 50.0/50.0 gender parity by giving their top two prefrences to one male and one female candidate, and still end up with two women finsihing in top two overall.

Now basing a system on 50.0/50.0 gender parity rather than merit is to me silly to begin with, but if you do hold the position that it's vital for equality then why not simply reserve half of leadership position for women and half for men (as the Swedish Greens do) instead of reserving half for women and the other half... well what-ever. 

Imagine if the system had been reversed, and you could elect two men but only one woman. There would thankfully and rightfully be a huge outrage. But apperently, symbolic equality is more important than actual equality. 

If the Green party cannot even trust their own members to vote with their mind and not their sex, then I for sure ein't gonna put any trust in them.

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »

That's a terrible defense. You're not very good at being the devil's advocate, I'm sorry to say.

Why? Is there an argument that would have convinced you otherwise? Then put it forward please. Wink

An argument that could convince me? Certainly not. Tongue Though even for the most silly ideas there's usually a few good arguments. (No one could for example convince me that gay adoption is wrong, but I've still heard credible arguments against it)

So they keep it because of tradition... You know I'm usually a traditionalist (being royalist and all that) but some traditions should just die out. Tongue But to every party what they see fit I guess, it's not as if you're forced to become a member or vote for them.   

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »

Glad to see finally the Pirates are beneath the threshold to enter Parliament. It can be fun to play an episode of My Little Pony in the Parliament of Berlin Land (genuine !), but the Bundestag is another thing... Also, a number of voters getting away from the Pirates come back to Die Linke (albeit maybe more were from the Greens or SPD).

I would be quite surprised if the Pirates made it into the Bundestag at this point.

I'm not surprised. I always expected them to go the same way as the Swedish Pirate Party. Do really well in one non-general election and then fade.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »

Is there any chance Linke-supporters could be convinced to support SDP or the Greens in order to stop a Grand Coalition?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies