VRA districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:21:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  VRA districts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VRA districts  (Read 2145 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »

How have we not move past the point of being obligated to make special segregated districts for minorities? If it happens naturally, as is the case with my home district of TN-9 or on the South Side of Chicago, great. But drawing a montrosity like NC-12 or FL-3, just so blacks can have "their" district is highly offensive to me. It's also totally screws the Dems by packing so many of our voters into one district. It doesn't make any sense.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »

How have we not move past the point of being obligated to make special segregated districts for minorities? If it happens naturally, as is the case with my home district of TN-9 or on the South Side of Chicago, great. But drawing a montrosity like NC-12 or FL-3, just so blacks can have "their" district is highly offensive to me. It's also totally screws the Dems by packing so many of our voters into one district. It doesn't make any sense.

And that is the main reason they are drawn.

But it kind of balances out such as in how we are now at least guaranteed one seat in Alabama and Louisiana for instance.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »

It may take another decade or so for VRA districts to start being more scrutinized and possibly phased out. On the other hand, there also needs to be more compactness in redistricting before that happens.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:51:29 AM »

Minorities want their fair share of Democratic districts. If you're a Hispanic or Black Democrat it makes perfect sense.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

Minorities want their fair share of Democratic districts. If you're a Hispanic or Black Democrat it makes perfect sense.
No. Black people don't want a special segregated ghetto seat anywhere. They want inclusion in politics. In 2010, our 18 year mayor ran in a primary against our white 4 year Congressman. Mayor's stump speech was all about how it was "our" seat. And he got his a$$ handed to him by the same black voters who had elected him mayor five times.
Segregation is what certain whites want, not what blacks want. Which is also why we have an endless cycle of blacks moving into white neighborhoods and all the white people running away to the point where it becomes a black neighborhood. Story of half the neighborhoods in my hometown.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »

You do realize this practice didn't really begin widespread until the redistricting cycle of the 90s, and thus about three decades after the passage of the VRA?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »

How have we not move past the point of being obligated to make special segregated districts for minorities? If it happens naturally, as is the case with my home district of TN-9 or on the South Side of Chicago, great. But drawing a monstrosity like NC-12 or FL-3, just so blacks can have "their" district is highly offensive to me. It's also totally screws the Dems by packing so many of our voters into one district. It doesn't make any sense.

No. Black people don't want a special segregated ghetto seat anywhere.

That isn't what Black state legislators have advocated in state after state. For instance, in Missouri, Black Democrats and Republicans formed a coalition to maintain as Black as possible districts in St Louis and Kansas City.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Democratic legislature of Tennessee "cracked" the Black communities in the Memphis area between the 8th and 9th districts to shore up a White Democrat in the 8th. The 9th retrogressed.

I don't think that is exactly the VRA argument the Democrats want to make.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

How have we not move past the point of being obligated to make special segregated districts for minorities? If it happens naturally, as is the case with my home district of TN-9 or on the South Side of Chicago, great. But drawing a monstrosity like NC-12 or FL-3, just so blacks can have "their" district is highly offensive to me. It's also totally screws the Dems by packing so many of our voters into one district. It doesn't make any sense.

That isn't what Black state legislators have advocated in state after state. For instance, in Missouri, Black Democrats and Republicans formed a coalition to maintain as Black as possible districts in St Louis and Kansas City.

The Democratic legislature of Tennessee "cracked" the Black communities in the Memphis area between the 8th and 9th districts to shore up a White Democrat in the 8th. The 9th retrogressed.

In Louisiana a black legislator did not want to give up her 88% black district and requested that GOP leadership maintain that district rather than crack her blacks.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

You do realize this practice didn't really begin widespread until the redistricting cycle of the 90s, and thus about three decades after the passage of the VRA?

That's how "retrogression" works. Once heavily Black districts are constructed, it is "retrogression" to crack the minority communities in those districts. I didn't write the law, but, that is what it says.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »

That's not true at all. Almost all blacks in Memphis are in the 9th. The 8th has a very small part of the city (so small that current Rep Fincher was unaware he was campaigning to represent any of the city), and the old White Democrat (John Tanner) was always re-elected either unopposed or overwhelmingly. Even in 1994, TN-8 wasn't competitive.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »

+10000. Exactly my position for many years...
BigSkyBob

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:46:17 AM »

In Louisiana a black legislator did not want to give up her 88% black district and requested that GOP leadership maintain that district rather than crack her blacks.

Perhaps, she was the Black community's "preferred candidate," but, an anathema to White voters in her district. Perhaps, 88% was barely sufficient for the Black electorate to work its will in the open primary.

Some White Democrats insist on lowering that percentage to the low forties!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »

Black Democrats in Florida express outrage at the attempt to crack their districts.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/11/2585203/senate-committee-finalizes-redistricting.html

But it was clear that Rich didn’t even have the support of her own members for her plan. Her congressional map, for example, would have ended the seven-county stretch that now comprises the district held by U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown and make it more compact but, in turn, reduce the percentage of black voters from 49 percent to 36 percent.

"This would have clearly diminished the ability for African Americans to be elected to office,’’ said Sen. Larcenia Bullard, D-Miami, whose district would have gone from more than 50 percent black under the Senate map to 20 percent black under Rich’s plan. Bullard’s son hopes to replace her when she leaves because of term limits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies