Scottish Independence Referendum 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:40:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum 2014  (Read 9158 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« on: January 16, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »

I'm curious what would happen to NI given that most Unionists are "ethnically" scottish.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »

I strongly disagree. It's always been "England and Wales".
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »

Northern Ireland was created form Ireland; which was a dominion of sorts. Wales had no devo and rejected the idea in it's first referendum on the idea. They can not be compared. NI is unique, not just in the UK but in the world; it's one of a kind.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2012, 11:39:10 AM by Whompwhastah (TEDDY) »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/opinion-where-will-scottish-independence-leave-northern-ireland-unionists-16104176.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »

If Scotland goes, more people in NI will see this as a change to NI's relationship with what's left of the UK that people in Wales will see as a change to Wales' relationship with what's left of the UK. It's a bigger deal for NI than for Wales. That's the core of my point; and I am thus curious to see how NI would deal with this. Would it cause Nationalism to go on the rise? Would it cause Unionists to want union with, not England, but Scotland? How would Scotland react to the latter? Would England decide to push NI out of the union (they've made some half-arsed attempts at this before)? Would NI Unionists lose their will? Would Ireland make a move on NI? I don't know the answer to these questions, but they would all be opened up by a YES vote for Independence in Scotland, where as Wales would face only two issues (more Devo? Independence?) and England, one (Devo?)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »

This idea from Quebec; I'm wondering, if the south of Scotland votes heavily in favour of staying with the UK, but Scotland as a whole votes to go, if there mightn't be a movement to partition the country
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »

I'm slightly paraphrasing, but here is an article from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16749576

headline - Teddy was right: Lord Empey

The former Northern Ireland Executive minister was speaking during a debate in the House of Lords about the Scotland Bill, when he said that "Teddy's claim that Scottish moves would have a greater impact on Northern Ireland than it would on England or Wales is 100% accurate. People in Northern Ireland would have a foreign country on one side of us and a foreign country on the other side of us We would end up like West Pakistan. We are all hewn from the same rock. Just imagine the situation we would be placed in."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies