Do you support Reynolds v. Sims?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:51:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you support Reynolds v. Sims?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Reynolds v. Sims
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Do you support Reynolds v. Sims?  (Read 3497 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2005, 02:35:59 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_v._Sims

Basically, it ruled that state legislature districts had to be roughly equal in population.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 02:47:09 PM »

Notice it's always liberals who want to legislate from the bench. Everything from Florida in 2000 to Roe v. Wade to Reynolds v. Sims.

These people have no honor, and might want to quit breaking oaths before they end up on the wrong side of eternity.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 03:17:27 PM »

It depends.  What is the state constitutional relationship between counties and the state.  If counties are not creations of the state, and the legislature can create or change them unilaterally, I might oppose it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 03:26:57 PM »

It depends.  What is the state constitutional relationship between counties and the state.  If counties are not creations of the state, and the legislature can create or change them unilaterally, I might oppose it.

Except this is valid for ALL states.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 03:33:50 PM »

Once a few fascist judges step down, a state constitutional amendment giving counties voting rights needs to be put on the ballot in states with the initiative process. That way, the Supreme Court will have to hear it again.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »

Except this is valid for ALL states.

Yes, and I would favor the decision states, like PA, where counties are the sole creation of the legislature. 

It there is a state where the relationship between a county and the sate is similar to the relationship between a state and the Federal govern.  I'm not sure that there is this relationship in any state.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

Yes.

One person, one vote.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »

If by one person, one vote, you mean that 5 year olds should be allowed to vote, that's idiotic. If you mean one voter should have one vote, I agree, but that has nothing to do with this.

J.J., what does the relationship between the counties and the states have to do with whether this ruling was constitutional or not?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »

Ok, one eligible person, one vote. And all votes should be treated equally.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 04:14:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that basically summarizes why this was needed. As much as I'd love my own congressional district.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 04:15:11 PM »

Ok, one eligible person, one vote. And all votes should be treated equally.

So every vote should count towards every seat?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »

Since I support a proportional representation parlimentary system, I do think that, but for the current system each vote should have equal power in determing the outcome of the district the person is in.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 04:59:36 PM »

Since I support a proportional representation parlimentary system, I do think that, but for the current system each vote should have equal power in determing the outcome of the district the person is in.

Okay, but that's your opinion, not the Constitution.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 05:03:56 PM »

AKA what he "supports."

I see nothing wrong with fixing the system so 33 people don't represent the same amount of people that five million do.  Especially since the House is supposed to be representative of the populace in order to check the Senate which is representative of regions.  Checks and balances.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 05:05:28 PM »

I actually agree with your position on checks and balances, but I don't understand your conclusion.

But the Senate no longer represents regions. The House was already based on districts, so the ruling doesn't affect it.

You should only support rulings that aren't bogus.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »

But the Senate no longer represents regions. The House was already based on districts, so the ruling doesn't affect it

Are you telling me that Texas isn't a region?

Districts, in order to represent populaces to check the senate, need to represent equal populations.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »

I'm talking about state legislatures. Reynolds v. Sims makes it illegal for states to give counties representation in their State Senates, like the federal Senate.

I am for equal population districts in the House (on both levels), but drawing unequal districts isn't unconstitutional. But Congress can regulate this by law; there's no need for the activist judges to get involved.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 05:35:08 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2005, 07:08:25 PM by patrick1 »

Yes mostly, not a fan of rotten boroughs.  Individual states still have some flexibility on how they go about drawing and apportioning their districts. 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 05:37:40 PM »

Yes mostly, not a fan of rotten boroughs.  Individuals still have some flexibility on how they go about drawing and apportioning their districts. 

I think you mean inDUHviduals.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2005, 05:40:10 PM »

If by one person, one vote, you mean that 5 year olds should be allowed to vote, that's idiotic. If you mean one voter should have one vote, I agree, but that has nothing to do with this.

J.J., what does the relationship between the counties and the states have to do with whether this ruling was constitutional or not?

In general, and in PA:

A county is subdivision of a state, a creation of the legislature and one that can be modified or altered by the legislature.  A state cannot be.

A county is completely dependent on state law for its existence; a state is governed by its own constitution.  The Federal government cannot directly, even through the courts, legislate for a state except by means of a constitutional requirement.  The state can legislate for a county.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »

Notice it's always liberals who want to legislate from the bench. Everything from Florida in 2000 to Roe v. Wade to Reynolds v. Sims.

These people have no honor, and might want to quit breaking oaths before they end up on the wrong side of eternity.

The Supreme court Five are liberals?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 05:43:35 PM »

In general, and in PA:

A county is subdivision of a state, a creation of the legislature and one that can be modified or altered by the legislature.  A state cannot be.

A county is completely dependent on state law for its existence; a state is governed by its own constitution.  The Federal government cannot directly, even through the courts, legislate for a state except by means of a constitutional requirement.  The state can legislate for a county.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with whether or not it's constitutional to give counties a vote in the State Senate?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »

In general, and in PA:

A county is subdivision of a state, a creation of the legislature and one that can be modified or altered by the legislature.  A state cannot be.

A county is completely dependent on state law for its existence; a state is governed by its own constitution.  The Federal government cannot directly, even through the courts, legislate for a state except by means of a constitutional requirement.  The state can legislate for a county.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with whether or not it's constitutional to give counties a vote in the State Senate?

I'm suggesting that under a county system as described, each county is but a political subdivision, just like a district is.  The exact same way a sentate distriict is drawn is the way a county is drawn.  Citizens of a county have no additional constitutional rights be being in a county.

The analogy is to a legislative district, which goes back to Baker v. Carr.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 06:54:03 PM »

They don't have the constitutional right to it, but it's not unconstitutional for the state to do so.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »

I'm suggesting that there is a difference between one man one vote and one repesentative unit with one (or more) votes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies