Senate Committees Resolution [debating] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:10:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Committees Resolution [debating] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Committees Resolution [debating]  (Read 3464 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: January 12, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

This might need to be in accordance with an OSPR amendment to be done right.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2012, 06:35:14 PM by No Good Napoleon »

I think committee votes should take place before final votes. Like the US Senate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »

MOPolitico understands how things ought to be.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »

As I've said before, Senate Committees are something that I support. Ideally, each Committee would deal with a specific subsection of the game, ranging from foreign policy to forum affairs. Each bill would be introduced into the appropriate Committee, where it must be debated and passed before being introduced into the Senate at-large. The members of the Committees would be elected by the Senate, and chaired by someone chosen from within that Committee. I also see Presidential appointments having to first clear the right Committee before they could be voted on by the rest of the Senate. Depending upon the number of Committees and how many bills they are allowed to debate, adopting Committees could also actually increase the number of bills being debated by the Senate at any one time.

Okay, I get that.  My only concerns are will it slow down legislation.  I ask because I would be worried that it might cause frustration and then hurt activity.  Also, I am a little unclear as to how people get selected for a committee.  In the US, each party gets so many spots for committee, but here it the says the Senate as a whole.  Then how do we pick them?  Is the dominant party the chair of each committee? How many committees does each Senator sit on? And what about the size?  You would need unequal numbers to avoid ties.  If it is 3, and we are 2 or 3 committees, we are talking a big number.  If it is five, that's half the Senate, so the committee seems a little moot.

I am not saying I won't support it, but I would want to see specifics as to what we are talking about creating before we just blindly do it.

That will need to be decided by more Senators than we have opinions from currently.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies