My solution to the Syrian blood bath
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  My solution to the Syrian blood bath
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: My solution to the Syrian blood bath  (Read 2637 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

Right, because it would be hard, we shouldn't help.  I understand.  I don't agree, but I understand.

No, its because there is no reason to believe that the result of our intervention would be significantly better than the current awful situation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »

Ok, so it will be hard and we can't be guaranteed of a result that suits us because a lot of the people that live there are giant asshats, so Eff 'em?  I suppose I can buy into that. 

I just have a hard time watching people die, knowing we can do something to help and sitting on our hands.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »

I just have a hard time watching people die, knowing we can do something to help and sitting on our hands.

No, you know we can do something, but you don't know that what we could do would help, and there is a significant chance it would do harm.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »

Well, it's basically impossible to "do" something like this without harming a few people you don't want to harm.  If we had "done" something earlier to help in the Sudan or the Congo we would have harmed people we'd prefer not to harm, but in the long run it would have been better for everybody involved if we had done something sooner.  We sat on our hands and millions died.  I'm not saying millions will die in Syria if we do nothing.  I'm not saying there will be rainbows and unicorns if do do something.  I guess I'm just saying we shouldn't just say "meh, it will be hard and we might not get the results that we want so lets not even consider doing something".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 06:12:08 AM »

I guess I'm just saying we shouldn't just say "meh, it will be hard and we might not get the results that we want so lets not even consider doing something".

I don't think people are trying to shut down debate here.  I'm open to "considering" doing anything.  (Not that anything considerations made on an internet messageboard like this are going to amount to anything in the real world anyway.)  I just expressed skepticism that this was the sort of situation in which an airpower only mission would be able to produce a desirable outcome.  The Libya situation had several unique things going for it in terms of airpower being effective, and even that still took six months before victory was achieved!  But I'm not an expert on this, so I'm open to being persuaded if there are good arguments on this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies