Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act [Law'd]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act [Law'd]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act [Law'd]  (Read 8802 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »
« edited: February 10, 2012, 07:43:51 AM by Mad Marokai, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Marokai Blue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »

I ask the Senate to consider amending the bill so that you must be 18 to do any of this.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »

I ask the Senate to consider amending the bill so that you must be 18 to do any of this.

I would like to offer this as an amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »

Then you can offer this, Jake. If you don't like the wording, feel free to change it. Smiley

Sponsor: Marokai Blue[/quote]
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »

Then you can offer this, Jake. If you don't like the wording, feel free to change it. Smiley

Sponsor: Marokai Blue

[/quote]

I'm feeling extremely lazy today Tongue

x20RP12
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »

I accept the amendment as friendly, and other Senators have 24 hours to object.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:55 AM »

As a longtime warrior in the failing war on drugs, I support this measure.  I would offer one amendment:

Section 2: Regulation and Re-Affirming Legalization

1. The possession, sale, transportation and consumption of marijuana, and the plants needed for its processing, shall be legal for citizens 18 and over throughout the Republic of Atlasia.

In order to possess, consume, or sell it, someone is going to have to transport and you should make that legal as well or you are not really making it legal.

My one concern is whether the Federal Government can make it legal everywhere.  The feds can repeal their statutes, and make it legal in all areas under federal control, but this bill would also repeal regional and local statutes and ordinances.  That I do believe would be an overreach by the federal government.

Think beer.  Prohibition did not work and it was repealed.  However, there still exists towns that are dry (as much as I think that is stupid).  I do believe that the bill should be amended so as not to overreach into regional rights.  I am willing to work with the sponsor on an amendment.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »

My one concern is whether the Federal Government can make it legal everywhere.  The feds can repeal their statutes, and make it legal in all areas under federal control, but this bill would also repeal regional and local statutes and ordinances.  That I do believe would be an overreach by the federal government.

Think beer.  Prohibition did not work and it was repealed.  However, there still exists towns that are dry (as much as I think that is stupid).  I do believe that the bill should be amended so as not to overreach into regional rights.  I am willing to work with the sponsor on an amendment.

I fully agree. The Constitution does not grant the Atlasian Senate the power to ban marijuana in the entire country. I admit that I am not a legal expert, but it seems to me that the following part of the Constitution would be violated if the bill were not amended:

Article 1, Section 6, Clause 7

7. No Law requiring any action to be taken or to be not taken by a Region shall be passed, except to preserve the rights of the Senate or of the People enumerated under the Constitution.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »

Under the logical extension of the interpretation of that clause, the federal government is unable to make any product at all legal or illegal. (And I say this as someone who considers myself a regionalist.)

What I think people often forget in reading that clause is "except to preserve the rights of the Senate or the people enumerated under the Constitution." The Constitution grants the Senate all kinds of different powers, a half dozen or so of which certainly justify the uniform legalization of marijuana.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »

I also accept Junkie's amendment as friendly. Senators have 24 hours to object to that as well. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2012, 02:20:54 PM by No Good Napoleon »

I object to the age restriction.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »

Under the logical extension of the interpretation of that clause, the federal government is unable to make any product at all legal or illegal. (And I say this as someone who considers myself a regionalist.)

What I think people often forget in reading that clause is "except to preserve the rights of the Senate or the people enumerated under the Constitution." The Constitution grants the Senate all kinds of different powers, a half dozen or so of which certainly justify the uniform legalization of marijuana.

I only see one of the 32 listed "powers of the Senate" that could possibly (and I want to stress that word "possibly") represent a case of "preserving the rights of the Senate ...", and that is Clause 4:

4. To provide an area of Freedom, Security and Justice without internal frontiers, and a single market where competition is free and undistorted.

All the other clauses do not justify a legalization of marijuana in the entire country against the will of a particular region. Maybe you were exaggerating a bit when saying there are at least half a dozen clauses, or maybe I subconsciously avoid to see them because I don't like what they say Tongue

20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »

Do you have something to say?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »

What's there to object to...?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »

Two amendments, as shown above.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »

Amendment to remove clause 3 from Section 2.
Amendment to remove clause 4 from Section 2.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »

What is your problem with my amendment?  I would like to know so that we could work something out or maybe I could address any concerns you have.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

Well no kidding, Captain Obvious. I'm asking you why you object to them, there's nothing wrong with them. I think you like to object to things just because you can.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »

I stand for regional rights and do not support forcing regions to abide by arbitrary and impractical age restrictions.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »

I stand for regional rights and do not support forcing regions to abide by arbitrary and impractical age restrictions.

If you stand for regional rights, then I assume you oppose legalization of marijuana on the federal level? I'm merely asking out of interest.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

If you stand for regional rights, then I assume you oppose legalization of marijuana on the federal level? I'm merely asking out of interest.

Assume what you want. It seems most people like to make assumptions.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »

That's fair, I disagree that there should be no age requirement, but I understand your objection.  What age would you support?  Additionally, my amendment allowed for the transportation.  It is hard to buy, sell, consume and/or grow legally if no one is allowed to transport the product.  What is the objection to my amendment?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »

I would not support any age restrictions at the federal level. I don't have an objection to your amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »

Assume what you want. It seems most people like to make assumptions.
See, I don't know why you're acting as though I'm trying to grill you. I'm just asking out of curiousity if you support the legazilation of marijuana at the federal level. If you don't want to answer my question simply because you don't like me, then I guess that's your choice. But I'm not trying to corner you or anything here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies