South Carolina Fox News GOP debate **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:59:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  South Carolina Fox News GOP debate **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: South Carolina Fox News GOP debate **live commentary thread**  (Read 22605 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »

Prediction: Perry's Turkish stupidity dominates the debate recaps.

Maybe in the international press.  In the national press, no one will care, because nobody knows a thing about Turkey.  Including Perry, as should be clear from his answer.  I wanted to throw things at my computer, honestly.  He lumped in Turkey with Syria and Iran... wtf?!?  Patent idiocy!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:42 PM »

Raising the retirement age is such a ridiculous idea.

No it isn't. Life expectancy has risen since we implemented social security and medicare. These people are living off the system longer and putting a bigger strain on the system.

Life expectancy for higher-income owners has risen, but it's been more or less stagnant for the lower income workers that actually depend on social security.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »

The audience terrifies me.  Seriously.  Where does the bloodlust come from?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »

Maybe in the international press.  In the national press, no one will care, because nobody knows a thing about Turkey.  Including Perry, as should be clear from his answer.  I wanted to throw things at my computer, honestly.  He lumped in Turkey with Syria and Iran... wtf?!?  Patent idiocy!

Yeah, Perry is off his rocker. Turkey is the model nation of what we want throughout the Middle East. Next Tuesday cannot come soon enough so that Perry the turkey can be sent back to Texas for good.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »

The audience terrifies me.  Seriously.  Where does the bloodlust come from?

White southern Republican audience, black man in the "White" House
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:21 AM »

So, can I get a summary?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2012, 01:28:33 AM »

I didn't get to watch the debate until the very end when I got home, so I don't have an opinion.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2012, 02:09:23 AM »

Even if people here cared, it wouldn't get much press - Perry is a non-issue now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2012, 02:36:52 AM »

What happened ?

A short summary please if someone has time ... Wink
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2012, 07:17:41 AM »

I didn't watch the the debate but some of the early op-eds seem to be suggesting that Newt had a great night and that Romney was hit hard. That's good news considering that I desperately want South Carolina to give us at least one more interesting primary.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »

What happened ?

Romney got clobbered by Santorum early on, Gingrich showed up big, Perry did quite well, Paul had his usual performance and Santorum did pretty okay.

My rankings:

1. Paul
2. Gingrich
3. Perry
4. Santorum
5. Romney
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

NBC morning news recap featured: Newt's Bain attack, Santorum's felon attack, Perry's tax return insistence and the live lynching of Juan Williams.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »

What happened ?

Here's my version:

Romney: Played it safe - too safe.  Was on his heels much of the night, and when he needed to fight back, was mostly flat and unpersuasive.  Had a few of his classic polished non-answer answers, but others, was taking a lot of hits.

Gingrich: Full-on attack mode on Romney and everyone not an uber-conservative.  Lots of red meat for the stalwart SC conservative base, lots of cheers, sounded confident and poised.  His positions still ring as almost absurdly extreme, so I don't think this alters his ceiling, but he'll definitely gain some momentum from this, and the support will probably come 50/50 from Romney and Santorum.

Santorum: Tried to be the attack dog, but was cornered into some bizarre positions.  To me, it felt like he was actually running to the LEFT of Romney, on race issues, indefinite detention, etc., which was really, really strange.  He seems to be running a FL campaign in SC after running a SC campaign in NH.  Didn't perform badly, but didn't notice a lot of applause moments and may have stepped in it a bit by repeating Ron Paul's "blacks get screwed by the judicial system" comments from NH's debate.

Paul: Pretty much the usual Paul performance.  Was more assertive and strident than usual, but missed a lot of the cues to convey a vision vs. responding to the specific question.  I think his big success of the night was to do a better job of conveying his military vs. defense view - blunts some of the national security criticisms, and looked like less of a libertarian and more of a paleocon on that issue.  However, he stepped in it on Osama bin Laden, as he gave a meandering and unpersuasive answer about what the US should have done.  All told, he had a pretty solid performance, but it wasn't a breakout performance.  (Personally, I find it fun to watch his evolution as a debater.  Still hoping he learns to do a better job at communicating his vision, rather than approaching a debate as a strict Q&A.)

Perry: Didn't receive much attention, didn't overtly blow any of the questions, but still said some of the same stupid sh** he's known for, just hid it better.  The Turkey comments will probably be requoted.  One of his better performances, but he's still done after SC.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »

Apparently, throwing red meat to South Carolina Republicans is far more important than acting like a reasonable statesman.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »

Apparently, throwing red meat to South Carolina Republicans is far more important than acting like a reasonable statesman.

Don't act surprised and indignant about it, this has been true since time immemorial.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »

What happened ?

Newt won the battle, Mittens won the war.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies