Roberto Duran and O.J. Simpson: two fiascos that set back U.S. race relations.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:35:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Roberto Duran and O.J. Simpson: two fiascos that set back U.S. race relations.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roberto Duran and O.J. Simpson: two fiascos that set back U.S. race relations.  (Read 595 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »

Now, I know Duran didn’t murder anyone.  But there are similarities between the two.  Both were the pride of their races.  Both were accomplished athletes.

And when they both imploded in disgraceful, yet quite different, ways - members of their respective races circled around them like they were Messiahs and victims of a racist society (which was especially strange in the case of OJ since he basically was loved by all Americans, regardless of race).

I remember when Duran quit with his infamous “No Mas!”, practically every Mexican in my school was defending him, and actually took pride in how he quit and still got paid.  Duran as even given a commercial for Miller Lite where he proudly repeated his “No Mas!” line, as if he were some Mexican hero for quiting.

And, of course, over 90% of blacks thought OJ was innocent.

Two very different cases, but the parallels are remarkable
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies