Mittens becomes more unelectable by the day: $8 million in the Cayman islands
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:05:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mittens becomes more unelectable by the day: $8 million in the Cayman islands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mittens becomes more unelectable by the day: $8 million in the Cayman islands  (Read 3208 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney-parks-millions-offshore-tax-haven/story?id=15378566#.TxeyP-Bk34h

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »

I made this commemorative jpeg in honor of this occasion:
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »

This isn't illegal. Leave it to liberals to attack someone on how much wealth they have. Roll Eyes
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:57 AM »

I suspect they are going to do everything they can for this year's return to minimize the negative reaction. The question is, will Mitt release returns for the last few years (as Obama has done and as his own father did when he ran for President).

CultureKing
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:43:38 AM »

This isn't illegal. Leave it to liberals to attack someone on how much wealth they have. Roll Eyes

No, it's not illegal. In fact it may not be necessarily a bad practice. However it would be a good idea to investigate such claims when the person in question may lead the entire nation. Wealth also does have a measurable impact on how people act and hold themselves (although I am not sure if it's a positive one or a negative one necessarily).
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »

They say that opening Romney's tax returns is more dangerous than Pandora's box and will melt your face. Chuck Norris won't even do it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »

Neither is burning the American flag but I doubt it helps your electability much.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:15 AM »

I anxiously await the day Lief has an unbiased post about the 2012 election.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:49 AM »

4 more years of unemployment above 8-10% with Obama in office and more food stamps for the dependent. Democrats always having to make wealth look bad, when it's not.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:36 AM »

4 more years of unemployment above 8-10% with Obama in office and more food stamps for the dependent. Democrats always having to make wealth look bad, when it's not.

Why are you trying to make food stamps look bad? They help people in need!
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »

My sister is on them right now, and she clearly doesn't need them. Im not stating why she doesn't need them, she's already making enough money as is without.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:15 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2012, 04:40:50 AM by Politico »

Romney follows the tax laws and, like everybody else, finds a way to lower his tax burden whenever possible. Nice smear job on trying to tie him into the Cayman Islands, though.

Of course, this is all too complex for people who think the world owes them a living. These type of people see Romney's wealth and think they are entitled to a piece of it. Good luck with that.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:31 AM »

Romney follows the tax laws and, like everybody else, finds a way to lower his tax burden whenever possible. Nice smear job on trying to tie him into the Cayman Islands, though.

Of course, this is all too complex for people who think the world owes them a living. These type of people see Romney's wealth and think they are entitled to it. Good luck with that.

"I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message".
Marston
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »

My sister is on them right now, and she clearly doesn't need them. Im not stating why she doesn't need them, she's already making enough money as is without.

In regards to significant public policy issues, I'm really not persuaded by arguments that start with "My sister...", "My friend...", "My cousin...", "My mom...", etc. Anecdotes only really get you so far. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »

I like how the response to every negative story about Romney is "LA LA LA IT'S NOT ILLEGAL YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

It's pretty much a given that every rich person in America has money in the Caymans.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »

I don't "attack" people because they are wealthy.  I call them out when they aren't paying their taxes. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »

It's pretty much a given that every rich person in America has money in the Caymans.

Yes, but that doesn't make it right.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

Never said it was, good sir.  Remember you're talking to someone who would have supplied the Paris Commune with modern weaponry.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »

Never said it was, good sir.  Remember you're talking to someone who would have supplied the Paris Commune with modern weaponry.

Fair enough.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

Of course, this is all too complex for people who think the world owes them a living. These type of people see Romney's wealth and think they are entitled to a piece of it. Good luck with that.

Thing is, nobody is entitled to Romney's wealth. Including Romney.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »

Somehow, I seriously doubt that having that kind of wealth during these particular economic times is a good thing for his Presidential prospects.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

Oops!

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/01/19/romney-iras-offshore-investments-helping-his-tax-bill/

Mitt Romney’s campaign has attacked an ABC News report on the candidate’s offshore investments, saying his holdings in the Cayman Islands and elsewhere have no effect on the amount he pays in U.S. taxes.

But the campaign’s assertions may be wrong or misleading. Tax experts said some of the offshore holdings are likely intended to help Mr. Romney avoid paying an obscure but hefty tax of as much as 35% on some of those investments, held in a tax-deferred retirement account.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

Romney isn't paying the taxes he ought to be.

Hey Republicans, you do want to "broaden the tax base", don't ya?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2012, 11:57:37 AM by Torie »

The investment income earned in the Cayman Islands is subject to US tax. Th cash probably came from foreign offshore corporations, earning non investment income (you know, from factories and the like), which if repatriated would be subject to US tax. If all foreign subsidiary non passive income were taxed in the US immediately (no other nations does that), then over time, the US would have no US based corporations left which have significant activity, and employees, overseas, particularly as long as the US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world among the major economies (a tax which by the way has regressive aspects, since a portion of it is like a sales tax, passed on in higher prices).

But yes, this can't help Mitt much. It is all too complicated for Joe Six Pack. The trick is to find out if Obama thinks the laws should be changed here. If he does, then the point I made can be used as a riposte.

Addendum: Well if some of it is held in a retirement account, then it won't be taxed until withdrawn from the account, which is the law for everyone else as well. The issue is the taxation of the original principal as it were, and I explained the policy reason why non repatriated earnings from foreign subsidiaries are not subject to US tax.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies