The Tea Party Vs. Occupy...... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:29:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Tea Party Vs. Occupy...... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Tea Party Vs. Occupy......  (Read 8587 times)
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« on: January 23, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »

The tea party at the beginning was very different than what the tea party became. Initially I heard people angry over the bail outs.  However very early on the Tea Party had it's control taken over by conservative leaders.  Fox News told it's listeners to "go tea bag the White House".  Former Republican D.C. leaders who formed groups like FreedomWorks.  Billionaires poured millions into the Tea Party.  The Tea Party, like the Republican Party, was a very top down movement.  Showing up at a tea party event had the feeling you were expected to "learn your place, shut your face".  The hatred of the President is at the forefront of the Tea Party movement.

Occupy on the other hand was a grass roots movement.  When talking to occupy protesters it is clear that more than one issue brought them together.  That's why it was difficult for people to attack Occupy at the beginning because the issues talked about by Occupy weren't bumper sticker slogans.  The only thing that is close to resembling a slogan is "We are the 99%" and unlike the Tea Party that is not a policy position.  The Tea Party talked about being "Taxed enough already" and used that as a war cry to have their taxes lowered.  Occupy talked about the true economic problems in our country.

Although there are two very interesting similarities between Occupy and Tea Party.  One is that both appeared to be very middle class.  The tea party as the middle aged middle class folk and Occupy as the people who were children in the 90s who were in the middle class.  Both also wanted shine light on economic injustice.  The tea party wanted to blame D.C. and Occupy Wall Street wants to expose the collusion that occurs between D.C. and Wall Street with respects to legislation that only benefits a select few.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »

Both seem to bring out the worst in conservatism and liberalism as Americans know it. Both are angry protest movements with a certain degree of intellectual vapidness. I tend to prefer the Tea Party to Occupy simply becuase I at least agree with many of its members on some issues, but I don't particularly like either movement. Both seem to jump the shark way too often.

Both also demonstrate the passion of the base of the two movements, which is at least part of why they occasionally "bring out the worst" because passion can easily turn into anger when used improperly
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

See what I mean. I don't see anyone who is happy with their profession in that movement. My doctor isn't in occupy and neither is my attorney. I'm not and I'm only partly happy and successful. Also, I don't see college professors who advocate students to go there actually participating themselves.

I like what I do for a living and I am an occupy person. 

Also why does someone have to be at a physical location to support certain political ideologies?  I'm sure there are plenty of people who believe/support the tea party positions who have never been to a tea party event. 

As for you paying the bill of Occupy Cincinnati, you still haven't backed up your assertion.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

They'll play loud music, have an orgy, smoke weed, refuse to bathe, and act like they're doing something at the conventions. There will be almost as many arrests as were made at the Obama inaguration. You don't see that happening at tea party rallies.

That's because the Tea Party supports the establishment, the establishment sees no threat to the current power structure from the Tea Party.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »

Right it's not what they do, it's how it's perceived by authorities. Those tea partiers are such dirtbags but they'll always get a pass because they support the establishment. Tell Obama they support the establishment.

The President knows the Tea Party supports the establishment.  It is the same old conservative GOP talking points that have been used decade after decade after decade.

Tea Party supports the establishment wholeheartedly and is no threat to the current power structure. 
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »

Koch Brothers, Fox News, Glenn Beck, Dick Armey

There is little about the tea party that is grassroots.  The tea party serves to support the establishment.  They are conservative, they vote for conservatives, they vote for the same conservatives who have been in power for years.  Sometimes they overshoot in a few places in the country, Sharon Angle for example.  However they are nothing more than the GOP base by a different name

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies