UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:51:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 264196 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »

Me thinks someone's got selective amnesia with the budget he voted for a few months back...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19406022
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »

Sort of Osbourne related, apparently his political hero is LBJ, which really surprised me. Was I wrong to be surprised?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »

Sort of Osbourne related, apparently his political hero is LBJ, which really surprised me. Was I wrong to be surprised?

Woah, no.

What's all that about!?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2012, 10:40:27 AM by bore »

Woah, no.

What's all that about!?

In case anyone is interested this is the article : http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/aug/27/which-cabinet-minsters-should-sacked?newsfeed=true
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »

Woah, no.

What's all that about!?

In case anyone is interestedx this is the article : http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/aug/27/which-cabinet-minsters-should-sacked?newsfeed=true

On that ICM poll, I must be the only person who thinks that there's far more dangerous cabinet ministers than GO. Michael Gove closely followed by Lansley.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

Caroline Lucas is about to make a huge mistake, by standing down as her party's leader when she's clearly their best hope (and their only MP).  Those who could succeed her:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069

That bloke who run in Norwich South in 2010 or Jenny Jones, I imagine. Common sense would tell you Lucas'd lose the seat on the new boundaries anyway, but actual facts (local election results) are making Brighton look as if it's becoming a Green stronghold or something.
Ironically, the two strongest potential leaders aren't running.  A guide to the candidates: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

Caroline Lucas is about to make a huge mistake, by standing down as her party's leader when she's clearly their best hope (and their only MP).  Those who could succeed her:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069

That bloke who run in Norwich South in 2010 or Jenny Jones, I imagine. Common sense would tell you Lucas'd lose the seat on the new boundaries anyway, but actual facts (local election results) are making Brighton look as if it's becoming a Green stronghold or something.
Ironically, the two strongest potential leaders aren't running.  A guide to the candidates: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069

Wow, back to irrelevance for them then.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2012, 10:56:44 AM by Bain Capital »

Tide is most definitely turning against Clegg now...
http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2012/08/30/are-we-seeing-the-tectonic-plates-moving-against-nick-clegg/

It's beyond offensive to the left and to the wider electorate for them to think a new leader will make any difference though. If they think a change of face is going to turn their fortunes around, then they don't even understand why they're so unpopular in the first place.

Every LibDem minister has had to back every piece of government legislation in this parliament, so they can moan and moan about having changed their ways all they want, but actions most definitely speak louder than words and their record in government is nothing but shameful.

Personally, I do struggle to see the SDPers at the top (those who're left anyway) winning the party back since they're now sans much of their former SDPer grassroots in the country. And anyway, who's their flagbearer? I honestly struggle to see how Vince Cable isn't beyond tainted amoungst 2010 LibDems who're now Labour/Tory/Green/SNP. And Tim Farron's one of the biggest jokes in the party.

Though what has been hilarious throughout this parliament is the way that there's been constant leadership speculation around all three. When it fades on one (like Cameron at Olympics time) it flares up on another of them (Clegg).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

Sir Rhodes Boyson, a colourful figure from what seems like another age, has died. He was best known for his mutton chops. He was also well known as an advocate (in a hammed-up Lancashire accent) of populist right-wing stances on education. He had stances on certain other issues that are now perhaps a little stomach-churning (though at least he wasn't a racist), and he was beloved by the Tory grassroots.

He held Brent North for the Tories from 1974 until 1997 when he fell victim to the biggest ever post-1945 swing from the Tories to Labour (a barely believable 18.8%). Oddly enough this wasn't a personal rejection as such, but the result of local fury at hospital reorganisation and demographic changes combined with the national landslide.

Anyway, a detail from one of his obits:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

lol.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »

Ironic that Clegg's incompetence is the reason why Ashdown's 1997 breakthrough (seat-wise) is about to be totally erased, and his name will likely disappear from the Lib Dem history books. 
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »

Ironic that Clegg's incompetence is the reason why Ashdown's 1997 breakthrough (seat-wise) is about to be totally erased, and his name will likely disappear from the Lib Dem history books. 

I'd be in a rage if I was a past LibDem leader. Nick Clegg's destroyed everything that the party's work for for the past 20 years.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »

He held Brent North for the Tories from 1974 until 1997 when he fell victim to the biggest ever post-1945 swing from the Tories to Labour (a barely believable 18.8%). Oddly enough this wasn't a personal rejection as such, but the result of local fury at hospital reorganisation and demographic changes combined with the national landslide.
I think that's (at least partially) a case of a strong personal vote evaporating in the face of too strong a wave/realignment.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »

I think that's (at least partially) a case of a strong personal vote evaporating in the face of too strong a wave/realignment.

Brent North also had the highest C to Lab swing in 2001.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2012, 04:46:25 PM by Bain Capital »

First whispers coming out about tomorrow and the moving around of the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Mitchell to the Whip's office from International Development. Warsi or Hunt to replace him.
Gillan moving out of the cabinet completely. Widely expected prior to the reshuffle anyway. None of the Tories in the Welsh seats seem like obvious cabinet material to me though.
Gove's staying put.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #290 on: September 03, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »

Patrick McLoughlin to Transport, so what of Miss Greening?

Seems to just be the bottom rungs so far. Doubt they'll be much change at the top, so this is all cosmetic really. Obviously, Cam still hasn't got a clue why his government's oh so unpopular.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #291 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2012, 06:06:34 PM by Bain Capital »

Ken Clarke's gone. There's a mistake I didn't think the PM'd make. He was offered Commons Leader, but said no apparently. That'd be a complete insult to him.

Greening off to Health. She's risen through the ranks quicker than her skills would suggest. Lansley being sacked was a no brainer, even if he did have the PM's "full backing" before the recess. Wink

So far, this is all seeming a bit... omnishambles.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #292 on: September 03, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »

Everyone's favourite benefits extremist IDS's moving.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #293 on: September 03, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

What, is this going to be an actual reshuffle, or are these all coming from unconfirmed rumourvilleland?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #294 on: September 03, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »

What, is this going to be an actual reshuffle, or are these all coming from unconfirmed rumourvilleland?

Actual reshuffle. It's on all the news sources, so...

We'll have a clearer view in the morning anyway.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: September 03, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »

In the meantime....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqM0Ube0oLs
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #296 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »

Ken Clarke's gone. There's a mistake I didn't think the PM'd make. He was offered Commons Leader, but said no apparently. That'd be a complete insult to him.

Greening off to Health. She's risen through the ranks quicker than her skills would suggest. Lansley being sacked was a no brainer, even if he did have the PM's "full backing" before the recess. Wink

So far, this is all seeming a bit... omnishambles.

Where are you getting this from?

Anyhow it's good to see Clarke go, we need a strong law and order type at Justice in the wake of the London riots a year ago. Michael Howard would be a strong pick. Greening had to be moved away from Transport as she had threatened to resign over the third runway at Heathrow.

Hopefully Grant Shapps will be in cabinet or at least be appointed Tory Chairman. Warsi is a catastrophe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #297 on: September 03, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

Warsi's departure would be a national tragedy. She isn't just a first rate hack ala Michael Fallon, she throws herself into matters with such palpable enthusiasm that you can almost believe that she almost believes everything she says. That's rare in politics. And hilarious.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »

Is the split in the LibDems over Clegg really as deep between old Liberals, many of whom endorsed Clegg and old SDPers, many of whom endorsed Chris Huhne, as it seems?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2012, 05:05:48 AM »

Warsi against Nick Griffin on Question Time. The only positive thing she's ever done.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies