UK General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:01:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 264729 times)
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 17, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »

The GMB will be submitting a resolution at the Labour Conference in September to outlaw Progress. 
OMG OMG I hope this works, though I have a gut feeling it won't. 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »

The GMB will be submitting a resolution at the Labour Conference in September to outlaw Progress. 
OMG OMG I hope this works, though I have a gut feeling it won't. 

It's like they want all out party civil war.

Well, with me being me, I really hope they at least force the party to reverse their support of the wage freeze and Ed Balls's statement that he won't guarantee that any cuts will be reversed.  But I really would like to see the Blairites forced out of the party.  It'll get the Labour party back to being an actual social democratic party again.  I also hope that if they can't ban it, then they can at least break Progress's grip on the party (especially when it comes to selection of prospective parliamentary candidates.  And policies, too.)
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »

Caroline Lucas is about to make a huge mistake, by standing down as her party's leader when she's clearly their best hope (and their only MP).  Those who could succeed her:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069

Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

Caroline Lucas is about to make a huge mistake, by standing down as her party's leader when she's clearly their best hope (and their only MP).  Those who could succeed her:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069

That bloke who run in Norwich South in 2010 or Jenny Jones, I imagine. Common sense would tell you Lucas'd lose the seat on the new boundaries anyway, but actual facts (local election results) are making Brighton look as if it's becoming a Green stronghold or something.
Ironically, the two strongest potential leaders aren't running.  A guide to the candidates: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19295069
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »

Ironic that Clegg's incompetence is the reason why Ashdown's 1997 breakthrough (seat-wise) is about to be totally erased, and his name will likely disappear from the Lib Dem history books. 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

Wow.  I must say, this reshuffle is...interesting.  In the mean time, the new leader of the Green Party is Natalie Bennett, an Australian-born former journalist.  A total unknown, who sounded incredibly nervous in her acceptance speech.  The guy who's interviewing her is an idiot.  But she is pretty weak and has nowhere near the ability to answer a question nor the charisma of Lucas. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEc-M8n22Kk
This whole Greenie thing of "I'm stepping down to give someone else a chance" right when it has the most momentum is really *facepalm*-inducing, I've got to say. 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »

Packing for uni today and I found the Guardian from May 10th 2010, the day Gordon Brown announced his resignation and talks between the Liberals and Labour officially began. I hadn't realised how good the deal Labour were offering the Liberals actually was. It would've been so much better for them, pure and simple. I can't help but feel that because Ed Balls was the salesman, they stupidly didn't buy it.
Well, to be honest, Balls isn't exactly the most delightful and friendly personality.  They should've had someone like Sadiq Khan or Douglas Alexander in that role. 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2012, 01:10:59 PM by Peternerdman »

Alan Johnson in a stupid Blairite Americanophile rage over the McKinnon thing.  Christ.  You know something's wrong when Labour wanted to kiss the US government's @$$ even more than the Torries.  Oh well.  Even more of the ugly legacy of Tony Blair.  
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »

So now the old, unelected, institutionalized and religiously-influenced club of hacks (aka the House of Lords) votes.  Is it considered a real possibility that they might reject it?
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »

Twitter's a-buzz with Dave's endorsement from hell. Marine Le Pen just endorsed his policy on Europe on Newsnight. She's also gone and said "breaking off relations with Bashar al Assad is senseless" in the same interview.
Oh, I see.  It's because he's mercilessly slaughtering and torturing Muslim Arabs, therefore he's a FF in her mind.  (Even if he's a Muslim Arab himself). 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »

Awesome Mitchell rant re Tories, awfulness, austerity, gay-marriage etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4xBbcCpfDc
I literally fell on the floor laughing.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

Urgh.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/section-28-returns-uk-schools-ban-promotion-gay-issues170813

'Three UK academies have stepped back to the 1980s by banning teachers from saying anything positive about gay life.

Gay Star News can reveal Castle View Enterprise Academy in Sunderland, Colston Girl's School in Bristol and Swindon Academy have re-introduced anti-gay language from Section 28, which banned the ‘promotion of homosexuality’, into their Sex and Relationships Policy.

The schools’ policy states while ‘objective discussion of homosexuality may take place in the classroom,’ ‘the governing body will not permit the promotion of homosexuality’.'
God.  And I thought we were the only 1st-world country where this crazy sh*t went down.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies