Oakvale for President exploratory committee - Declining to run.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:50:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Oakvale for President exploratory committee - Declining to run.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oakvale for President exploratory committee - Declining to run.  (Read 891 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2012, 11:13:32 AM by The leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces »

In light of President Snowguy's decision not run for a a second term, I'm officially exploring the possibility of seeking the White House.

I've been here once before. The February, 2011 campaign was at once exhilarating and fraught with tension and anger. I'm profoundly thankful that all concerned have put the experience behind us, and there's few people I respect more than my opponents in that race. Tmth was a fine President (and of course, put me on the Supreme Court, which doesn't hurt Tongue), Marokai is a passionate and dedicated proponent of game reform in the Senate, and Ben has distinguished himself in a long career as Atlasia's most prominent diplomat. And Snowguy, my running-mate, who I felt especially bad about letting down, has gone on to become a wonderful President.

Today, Atlasia stands, potentially, at the dawn of a new era. The ambitious dual dissolution proposal will reinvigorate a game that many feel has become stagnant, ushering in a vibrant and exciting multi-party system. With an influx of new members due to the real world events of 2012, I'm hopeful that we could see a Golden Age of activity, debate and civic  engagement.

At a time like this, Atlasia needs a President with the experience to work across party lines and lead the nation into this Golden Age. My record is out there - I was privileged to serve two terms as Governor of the great region of the Pacific, and to be elected twice to the Senate, and honoured to be nominated by the President to the Supreme Court.

I have never been an ideologue - when we were both Governors, Tmth and I worked together on common sense regional initiaves, I enthusiastically supported Junkie's Senate campaign, and one of my best friends and political partners is Senator Napoleon, whom I couldn't be further from on several issues, most obviously foreign policy. My instincts, however, are liberal, and if I run I look forward to debating Assemblyman ZuWo on the issues we disagree on, but I am fundamentally a pragmatist, and will take results over perfect ideological alignment any day. Wink

Speaking of my potential opponent, I do not know Assemblyman ZuWo well, but while we disagree on many things I have come to greatly respect his unflinching dedication in standing up for what he believes in. He is a person of integrity, and I believe the nation would be well served by a debate between candidates with markedly different stances on the issues. If I run, that is a debate I would be eager to have. I must also applaud his choice of running-mate. Former Senator Jbrase has a laudable record, and would make an effective and active Vice-President.

Atlasia, as I have said, stands at what could be a Golden Age. In the coming weeks, I hope to speak with citizens both old and new to the game to see whether a Presidential campaign is the right decision. Please feel free to ask questions and give your input. Smiley

If I decide to get into the race, I will publish a platform detailing my vision for the new era of Atlasia that I'm hopeful we are entering.

Thank you and Dave bless! Smiley

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »

TPP - Would The People's endorsement secure its Editor a coveted appointment/position ? Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »

Is running for President in February becoming a thing for you? Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »

20RP12 Research Center - Can you name a potential VP or VPs?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »

TPP - Would The People's endorsement secure its Editor a coveted appointment/position ? Wink

Obviously! Supreme Court? Wink

You should run too, it'd be just like old times, but mellower. Tongue

20RP12 Research Center - Can you name a potential VP or VPs?

I've got a shortlist of people but I'd rather not publicy announce any names until I'm sure I'm running.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »

You'll have my vote, just like last year. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »

You should run too, it'd be just like old times, but mellower. Tongue

We could always run together. It worked so well before. Tongue
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »

I've got a shortlist of people but I'd rather not publicy announce any names until I'm sure I'm running.

1. Bacon King  Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:14 AM »

Whether I'll actually run or not depends on A) whether I think it's viable in-game and B) real life factors. I hope to make a decision soon, probably as early as Friday. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »

I will be making a major announcement at 4PM EST.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »

Will you appear on CSPAN?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »

Statement:

Friends (and enemies, too Tongue) -

It was just a couple of days ago that President Snowguy announced that, sadly, he would not be seeking election to a second term, and I dipped my toe in the proverbial waters as to possibly running to succeed him. The condensed time scale this game runs on is quite handly - it allows people to make decisions about these things rather quickly, and I have come to a decision regarding my candidacy.

The feedback from Atlasians both in public and private has been positive, and I'm humbled by people's show of support. If I were to run I believe I would be a viable candidate, and could stand a fighting chance of taking the White House.

However, having assessed what my personal situation is likely to be in real life over the coming months, I feel that, unfortunately, I would not be able to commit to being the active, constantly engaged executive that Atlasia deserves. I fear that, were I elected, I would get bogged down with a heavy courseload of work in the real world, and saddle my Vice-President with the duties of office. Atlasia needs a President who can ensure that they will remain active throughout their time in office. After careful reflection, I do not believe I could ensure that.

Accordingly, it is with considerable regret - but the firm belief that I am making the right decision - that I have concluded that I will not be a candidate for the Liberal Party's Presidential nomination in February of 2012, nor will I seek the Presidency on any other ticket. Furthermore, I will not run for any elected office for the forseeable future.

I intend to focus my time in this game on my duties on the Supreme Court, a job I enjoy greatly, and on building the nascent and promising Liberal Party into a major force in Atlasian politics.

In announcing this exploratory phase, I spoke of my hope that we could be entering a veritable Golden Age in Atlasian politics. With the passage of dual-dissolution looking likely, I believe even more strongly that such is the case. I'm excited about the future of the game for the first time in a long while. Though I will not be the President who presides over the beginning of a new, vibrant multi-party era, I wish whoever is ultimately elected the very best of luck, and hope that more candidates will announce for the upcoming election in order to make it an interesting debate about what direction we want the game to go in.

Thank you.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »

Shocked didn't see that coming

Well, I'm sad to hear this. I think you would've been a great candidate.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »

This is sad. Now my opposition research team has to start from scratch for the third time!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »

I disapprove! Angry
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States