1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:04:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means  (Read 2128 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »

21% of those 18-29 old don't know what "Auschwitz" means.

95% of those older than that know what it means - says a new Forsa poll.

69% of all people correctly said that Auschwitz is located in Poland, 31% didn't know that.

57% said that they have visited a former KZ or memorial, 43% have not.

http://www.stern.de/politik/deutschland/stern-umfrage-zum-holocaust-gedenktag-deutsche-wollen-erinnerung-an-voelkermord-nicht-verdraengen-1777682.html
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »

What is truly tragic is how many people anywhere are unfamiliar with Sobibor or Treblinka.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »

That 43% is a number that should go down with every year. I don't know anybody my age who hasn't visited a KZ at 9th/10th grade.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »

That 43% is a number that should go down with every year. I don't know anybody my age who hasn't visited a KZ at 9th/10th grade.

I never did for example, nor did any other of our classes (which is kind of sad and weird, because my school was a socially left-leaning one and we did all other kinds of projects like driving to Rome for a week, driving to Germany for a project and so on). Even stranger considering that the next KZ is only 100 miles away in Mauthausen and few side camps of these KZs are just a few miles away from here ...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »

I never did for example, nor did any other of our classes (which is kind of sad and weird, because my school was a socially left-leaning one and we did all other kinds of projects like driving to Rome for a week, driving to Germany for a project and so on). Even stranger considering that the next KZ is only 100 miles away in Mauthausen and few side camps of these KZs are just a few miles away from here ...
That's because you're Austrian.

Note on the poll: both the "what's Auschwitz" and the "and where is it" question had no answer options supplied, and counted only whether the polled person clearly was positive about the correct answer, or wasn't. So this isn't exactly likely to exaggerate the number of people who know the answer.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »

To be fair, if this question was asked in other European countries the result would probably be far far worse. It's not that young Germans don't know enough about Auschwitz, it's that other young European's may know almost nothing.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »

Roll Eyes

(Even though I'd like to see what the result of such a poll would be here among the younger voters: probably 30% with no clue)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »

Roll Eyes

(Even though I'd like to see what the result of such a poll would be here among the younger voters: probably 30% with no clue)
It wasn't a swipe... (though of course Austria has an issue with accepting they're codefendants, not victims, regarding all of this). It's really that common in Germany. Though we went in 11th (to Buchenwald).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »

Roll Eyes

It wasn't a swipe... (though of course Austria has an issue with accepting they're codefendants, not victims, regarding all of this). It's really that common in Germany. Though we went in 11th (to Buchenwald).

It's not as bad anymore like during the Waldheim-era, mostly FPÖ/BZÖ people still have a problem accepting it and some ÖVP/SPÖ voters. So alltogether maybe 25-35%, because even ca. 1/3 of all FPÖ voters are thinking these days that Austria was part of the murderous Nazi-regime and not a victim of it. For example my parents who are FPÖ voters, but didn't go to the poll and vote for Rosenkranz, because they thought she was backwards and crazy b***h. They also agree with me on the codefendants-thing, therefore they are no Nazis, just mostly right-wing.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »

I fail to see the problem, this is people, who have a good chance that their grandparents wasn't born when the Holocaust happened. Unless we embrace some kind of idea of collective guilt, this is as irrelevant to them and their daily life as the Holy Roman Empire.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »

One of the enlightened countries, of course.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »

I fail to see the problem, this is people, who have a good chance that their grandparents wasn't born when the Holocaust happened.

Fits me. My moms parents were born around 1933/35, and were kids during the war.
My dad's dad was born 1925, was eight years old when Hitler was elected, and had to spend his best years somewhere in Russia (from which he never, ever recovered, mentally).

Nevertheless, it is our, the Germans, damn duty to live with what happened and tell the later generations. Has nothing to do with guilt, but with responsibility.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »

I really don't think an American should be laughing about numbers like this....considering I imagine they would be far worse for almost any topic in this country Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »

I really don't think an American should be laughing about numbers like this....considering I imagine they would be far worse for almost any topic in this country Wink

But the U.S. doesn't claim to be the enlightened, intellectual force like our dear friends from across the Atlantic.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

If Canadian numbers are lower I'd eat my shirt
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »

This both bad and good. Wounds need to be healed, so its good that not every person has to live with the guilt. But every wound leaves a scar. And that scar should not be forgotten.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »

I fail to see the problem, this is people, who have a good chance that their grandparents wasn't born when the Holocaust happened.

Fits me. My moms parents were born around 1933/35, and were kids during the war.
My dad's dad was born 1925, was eight years old when Hitler was elected, and had to spend his best years somewhere in Russia (from which he never, ever recovered, mentally).

Nevertheless, it is our, the Germans, damn duty to live with what happened and tell the later generations. Has nothing to do with guilt, but with responsibility.

That's you choice to do so, I don't see why we forced other people to embrace the same views as you. Not that I think that the Holocaust should be forgotten or not be taught, but it should be treated more as just one more historical moment. I think it would enable people to reflect why it happened and what we can learn from it rather than ritualised it.
Maybe it's because I'm tired of the fact that we all treat German history like it began in 1933 and ended in 1945.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »

But the U.S. doesn't claim to be the enlightened, intellectual force like our dear friends from across the Atlantic.

You mean the U.S. takes pride in being dumb? I don't think that's really true, but you'd get that impression sometimes. (See attacks on presidential candidates for being able to speak French, for example.)

BTW: Weren't you supposed to be some pro-European Republican? I don't see that much from you, to be honest.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:23:21 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2012, 01:31:16 PM by dead0man »

I'm much more concerned with the numbers of Germans who believe in "conspiracy".  Isn't it like 60% of those under 30 that think 9-11 was an "inside job"?  It's not like American's are immune, what with our stupid JFK theories.  Of course both of us look like normals when compared to the retarded things people in the Middle East believe.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »

I'm much more concerned with the numbers of Germans who believe in "conspiracy".  Isn't it like 60% of those under 30 that think 9-11 was an "inside job"?  It's not like American's are immune, what with are stupid JFK theories.  Of course both of us look like normals when compared to the retarded things people in the Middle East believe.

That I agree with 100%. Germans are just awful with the conspiracy bullsh*t. Gets annoying fast.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies