1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:52:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means  (Read 2152 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« on: January 25, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »

21% of those 18-29 old don't know what "Auschwitz" means.

95% of those older than that know what it means - says a new Forsa poll.

69% of all people correctly said that Auschwitz is located in Poland, 31% didn't know that.

57% said that they have visited a former KZ or memorial, 43% have not.

http://www.stern.de/politik/deutschland/stern-umfrage-zum-holocaust-gedenktag-deutsche-wollen-erinnerung-an-voelkermord-nicht-verdraengen-1777682.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »

That 43% is a number that should go down with every year. I don't know anybody my age who hasn't visited a KZ at 9th/10th grade.

I never did for example, nor did any other of our classes (which is kind of sad and weird, because my school was a socially left-leaning one and we did all other kinds of projects like driving to Rome for a week, driving to Germany for a project and so on). Even stranger considering that the next KZ is only 100 miles away in Mauthausen and few side camps of these KZs are just a few miles away from here ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »

That 43% is a number that should go down with every year. I don't know anybody my age who hasn't visited a KZ at 9th/10th grade.

I never did for example, nor did any other of our classes (which is kind of sad and weird, because my school was a socially left-leaning one and we did all other kinds of projects like driving to Rome for a week, driving to Germany for a project and so on). Even stranger considering that the next KZ is only 100 miles away in Mauthausen and few side camps of these KZs are just a few miles away from here ...

That's because you're Austrian.

Roll Eyes

(Even though I'd like to see what the result of such a poll would be here among the younger voters: probably 30% with no clue)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »

That's because you're Austrian.

Roll Eyes

(Even though I'd like to see what the result of such a poll would be here among the younger voters: probably 30% with no clue)

It wasn't a swipe... (though of course Austria has an issue with accepting they're codefendants, not victims, regarding all of this). It's really that common in Germany. Though we went in 11th (to Buchenwald).

It's not as bad anymore like during the Waldheim-era, mostly FPÖ/BZÖ people still have a problem accepting it and some ÖVP/SPÖ voters. So alltogether maybe 25-35%, because even ca. 1/3 of all FPÖ voters are thinking these days that Austria was part of the murderous Nazi-regime and not a victim of it. For example my parents who are FPÖ voters, but didn't go to the poll and vote for Rosenkranz, because they thought she was backwards and crazy b***h. They also agree with me on the codefendants-thing, therefore they are no Nazis, just mostly right-wing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies