1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:42:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1/5 younger Germans don't know what "Auschwitz" means  (Read 2179 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: January 25, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »

I fail to see the problem, this is people, who have a good chance that their grandparents wasn't born when the Holocaust happened. Unless we embrace some kind of idea of collective guilt, this is as irrelevant to them and their daily life as the Holy Roman Empire.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »

I fail to see the problem, this is people, who have a good chance that their grandparents wasn't born when the Holocaust happened.

Fits me. My moms parents were born around 1933/35, and were kids during the war.
My dad's dad was born 1925, was eight years old when Hitler was elected, and had to spend his best years somewhere in Russia (from which he never, ever recovered, mentally).

Nevertheless, it is our, the Germans, damn duty to live with what happened and tell the later generations. Has nothing to do with guilt, but with responsibility.

That's you choice to do so, I don't see why we forced other people to embrace the same views as you. Not that I think that the Holocaust should be forgotten or not be taught, but it should be treated more as just one more historical moment. I think it would enable people to reflect why it happened and what we can learn from it rather than ritualised it.
Maybe it's because I'm tired of the fact that we all treat German history like it began in 1933 and ended in 1945.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies