PA Supreme Court strikes down PA legislative map. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:48:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  PA Supreme Court strikes down PA legislative map. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA Supreme Court strikes down PA legislative map.  (Read 4050 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Word is that we keep the old maps for the next two years. Any scholars with insight?

If by "old maps" you mean the ones drawn in 2001, how is that possible when the seats don't have equal population, and PA lost a seat (with respect to the CD's)?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »

I'm talking about for the legislative seats. The Congressional map must be staying since it wasn't part of the breaking news stories.

OK, but the legislative seats are still not equal in population, and in Baker v Carr, SCOTUS ruled that they must be.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Mississippi just held elections for the Legislature in seats that were drawn after the 2000 Census. No Supreme Court intervention there. Could happen in PA too

Yes, but that was before the Census kicked in I believe. They got in just under the wire because they have odd year elections for state races, rather than even year ones.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2012, 07:24:47 PM by Torie »

Unless I am missing something, a federal court should toss this ruling. A state court cannot be bound by its prior decision if its reach given the current facts, makes it unconstitutional (the old map still being used after final and useable new census data is available). But can a state court be this dumb?  Or am I the dumbo here? Puzzling.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The PA supremes decided on their own just how you balance the state law on minimizing the division of political jurisdictions against the Baker v Carr equal population Constitutional mandate, and came up with a 0.5% deviation standard, or came up with no standard, and just did what felt right, or what?  Yes, it seems the federal courts will throw this one out in a hurry. They may even uphold the map that was drawn by the Commission, if it otherwise minimized divisions subject to getting equal - or more equal - populations.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »

Oh, they were interpreting state constitutional language. I hate state constitutions. But I digress.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies