PA Supreme Court strikes down PA legislative map. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:13:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  PA Supreme Court strikes down PA legislative map. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA Supreme Court strikes down PA legislative map.  (Read 4049 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: January 25, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »

Just got a flood of texts. I know that the state legislative maps have been ruled against. No idea what's going on, if anything, with the Congressional map. Huge story and very surprising.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »

Word is that we keep the old maps for the next two years. Any scholars with insight?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »

I'm talking about for the legislative seats. The Congressional map must be staying since it wasn't part of the breaking news stories.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »

Well, as a direct result of this, I'm going to be very busy this Spring and won't be here as much. You guys should be thrilled. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »

The Court still hasn't released its opinion and three of our Justices are on a retreat...in Puerto Rico. The opinion is expected next week - in the middle of petition season! - leaving us politicos hanging on the edge of our seats (no pun intended). No joke. Unbelievable.

So the two schools of thought: having the Specials and 2012 elections held in the 2001 districts is one belief. The other is that the Justices can tweak certain districts in the 2011 map (which I find ridiculous but who knows) and have the Specials and regular elections in the new districts. Not sure how they'll get that done in time though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »

The Supremes are clearly playing around now. We expected an opinion by yesterday. Still nothing. Let's see what the federal court has to say though. We're all waiting on pins and needles and while we are mostly circulating in the old districts here in Philly, others in other parts of the state are circulating in the old and thrown out new districts just to be safe.

I think most down here agree that delaying the primary (or having two!) isn't practical/likely.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »

The Court has released its opinion and has outlined how certain districts (mine, for example) should have been drawn.

In what would be an absolute stunner, there is word that the primary could be moved to September.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

I guess the primary will have to be used then. I imagine too many candidates would claim to be disenfranchised because they weren't able to circulate in the new districts (though some are circulating in both the new and the 2001 districts). This is such a disaster.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »

Yep, more craziness here...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31:23 PM »

Phil, haven't been on here much, but what is your take on the "old" maps?  I mean because of the Court ruling... you now have a friend able to run for State Rep.

Check my comments in the first half of the thread. And feel free to contact me personally. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »

Just got word that we will definitely be using the 2001 maps for the 2012 election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies