Popular Liberty Party (PLP) - HAEV You Heard The News?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:46:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Popular Liberty Party (PLP) - HAEV You Heard The News?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Popular Liberty Party (PLP) - HAEV You Heard The News?  (Read 11911 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »

buuuuuuuuuuump. Wormy?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

(Name) Party

[ ] Populares
[2] Individual Freedom
[ ] Populares-Individual Freedom
[] New Populares
[1] Popular Liberty
[3 ] write-in: Peace & Liberty Party

Color

[3] Teal ("emerald") - current color, old Populares color
[2] Green - old IFP color
[1] Purple
[ ] Brown
[ ] Maroon
[] Lime Green

(included every clearly visible color not currently used by another party)

Abbreviation

[ ] POP
[ ] IFP
[ ] NPP
[2] PFP
[1] PLP
[3 ] write-in: P&L

Platform

[1] The Populares platform (has probably been changed since the Wiki version if anyone has a link to an updated one)
[] 20RP12's draft platform
[1] Write an entirely new platform (remember, old ones can be amended!): Combine both of them.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »

Sorry, was hoping more people would vote:

Name:  Popular Liberty Party
Color: Teal
Abbreviation: PLP
Platform: write new one
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »

Sorry, was hoping more people would vote:

Name:  Popular Liberty Party
Color: Teal
Abbreviation: PLP
Platform: write new one

Alrightie.

Let's get to work on a platform, shall we?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »

Reminds me of the Progressive Liberal Party. lol.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »

I think we should focus on coming up with a description of the party and emblem to put in the Intro to Atlasia thread.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »

Reminds me of the Progressive Liberal Party. lol.

I don't know about the others, but that was exactly why I voted for this name. Interesting way to revive an old party acronym, no?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 03:25:20 PM by Those Who Own the Country Ought to Govern It. »

The Northeast Region and the New HAEV

The Populares Party was originally founded in response to a piece of legislation that threatened the very heart of our republican institutions.  The creation of the so-called "High Authority for Ethics in Voting" (HAEV) gave an unelected, ideological commission the power to disenfranchise any voter at will.  The original Populares, frightened by this step towards dictatorship, created a party whose goal was initially to effect the immediate repeal of this law, and concerned Atlasians of the left, of the right, and of the center, liberal, conservative, libertarian, and communitarian, joined the party in droves.  In fact, it quickly became the largest party in Atlasia, as the popular outrage against this subversion of the democratic process became so great.  While the bill was ultimately not repealed by the Senate, it was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, a decision that likely would not have happened had the popular outcry led by our party, the party of the People, not been heard.

Now there is another proposed piece of legislation, almost certain to pass, perhaps even worse than the HAEV.  It does not affect every Atlasian, fortunately, but it will fundamentally change the nature of our most populous region.  As it is long and complex, I will briefly summarize the untitled bill, which can be read in full here.  The bill would allow three pieces of legislation to be considered by the Northeast Assembly simultaneously, one reserved for legislation submitted by petition, one reserved for legislation actually submitted by assemblymen, but only in the order that the Speaker of the Assembly chooses, and one reserved for legislation submitted by the Governor.

Why is this a bad thing?  To start, not only does the Governor now have the power to propose legislation (a very troubling expansion of executive power in its own right), but now under this legislation anything proposed by the Governor takes precedence over any bill that an actual assemblyman proposes.  This effectively produces a system of rule by decree, wherein the Governor produces a decree and only then does the Assembly decides to rubber-stamp it or not.  This is the same system used by the Supreme Soviet in the USSR, wherein the executive (the General Secretary) proposed new decrees, and then the Soviet voted them up or down.

As if allowing the governor to rule by decree is not enough, this legislation neuters the power of the Assembly still further, as the legislation actually proposed by Assemblymen would now be voted on only in the order that the Speaker chooses.  The Speaker would now be empowered to choose in what order legislation is voted on, and even whether it is voted on (by delaying it until the assembly session is over), at his own discretion.  He might also game its passage by deliberately scheduling it before or after a special election or resignation, or by allowing a lame-duck session to vote on controversial legislation, among other things.  A grand total of two individuals would now decide what legislation is considered by the Assembly, and the role of the individual assemblyman would now be rendered meaningless and powerless, a rubber-stamp entity exactly like the Supreme Soviet this legislation models it after.  This sounds like hyperbole, but it isn't.  It's a factual description of the bill, and a valid comparison.

I'm calling on all Northeasterners who value a republican form of government, rather than semi-elected dictatorship, to oppose this bill.  This is not a partisan or a left and right issue, but rather one of right and wrong.  Simply because a bill is long and complex does not make it worth passing, nor does the fact that it was proposed by someone you like or opposed by someone you dislike (and I know I am disliked by many).  Nor is tyranny acceptable even when clothed in the guise of "reform," just as the HAEV was.  And while I believe this is an issue, just like the HAEV, that can unite left, right, center, and every ideology, I call on the Popular Liberty Party to take a stand in opposing this bill, just as the original Populares opposed the HAEV.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »

Very well said, Wormy. I take a firm opposition to this effort.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »

Also, so much for drafting a platform Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

Even though I am not a Northeasterner and therefore not affected by this bill, I wish you luck in your opposition to this piece of legislation. It seems over the top to me; I agree with you that Governors should not do the job of the legislative branch and I'm of the opinion that Speakers should only guide parliamentary debates, but nothing more. They certainly shouldn't influence debates by deciding what piece of legislation should be introduced at what point and even have the option to prevent certain bills from being debated at all. Indeed, the changes this bill intends to make seem especially problematic if the Governor and the Speaker are from the same party. That's not to say I think your Governor or Speaker will actually use these new options in a negatively partisan way, but the mere fact that the bill makes that theoretically possible would make me feel uneasy if I was a Northeasterner.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »

Even though I am not a Northeasterner and therefore not affected by this bill, I wish you luck in your opposition to this piece of legislation. It seems over the top to me; I agree with you that Governors should not do the job of the legislative branch and I'm of the opinion that Speakers should only guide parliamentary debates, but nothing more. They certainly shouldn't influence debates by deciding what piece of legislation should be introduced at what point and even have the option to prevent certain bills from being debated at all. Indeed, the changes this bill intends to make seem especially problematic if the Governor and the Speaker are from the same party. That's not to say I think your Governor or Speaker will actually use these new options in a negatively partisan way, but the mere fact that the bill makes that theoretically possible would make me feel uneasy if I was a Northeasterner.

Indeed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »

Damn, that sounds like something the IDS would debate as a joke. Best of luck in stopping it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies