Whig Party National Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:57:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51675 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »

The one on morality in our fighting men and women? If we are a conservative party, wouldn't we want to teach personal morality to our fighting men and women? Also, I know what I'm about to say will get me blasted like crazy but I must say it..... Banning gays from military service.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:38 PM »

The one on morality in our fighting men and women? If we are a conservative party, wouldn't we want to teach personal morality to our fighting men and women? Also, I know what I'm about to say will get me blasted like crazy but I must say it..... Banning gays from military service.

Do you not believe our service members have personal morality?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »

Why would we want to do that?
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »

Wait!

Let's not get distracted over whether our servicemen need moral teaching, or whether gays should be banned. Let's discuss the party's official position on the Anti-conscription bill.

I say we should work for a compromise that would allow for a draft only in wartime.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »

Wait!

Let's not get distracted over whether our servicemen need moral teaching, or whether gays should be banned. Let's discuss the party's official position on the Anti-conscription bill.

I say we should work for a compromise that would allow for a draft only in wartime.

I say we work to defeat it and if we have to settle for a compromise then so be it...

That is my mentality with all this and in life- push for what you want and if need be settle, but don't push with delicate hands. Come heavy or not at all
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »

Wait!

I say we work to defeat it and if we have to settle for a compromise then so be it...

That is my mentality with all this and in life- push for what you want and if need be settle, but don't push with delicate hands. Come heavy or not at all

If a compromise can not be reached, then yes, Clarence, we should vote against it.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »

Wait!

If a compromise can not be reached, then yes, Clarence, we should vote against it.
Amen
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »

Wait!

Amen

Clarence, I admire your attitude.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »

Wait!

Amen

Clarence, I admire your attitude.
Thanks brother- likewise
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »

I think Clarence is right- let's push back as hard as we can, even if we don't get a full defeat, we can force a compromise.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

I think Clarence is right- let's push back as hard as we can, even if we don't get a full defeat, we can force a compromise.

Let's also be sure to codify our position on this in the platform.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »

Do you not believe our service members have personal morality?

I believe many do seek to live morally virtuous lives. Sadly many around the world who serve in our military do not.

Would I support conscription in wartime as a compromise? I actually would.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

Does one have to be a morally virtuous person on issues unrelated to shooting the enemy, human rights, and nation building to be allowed into the armed services?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »

There was a time in American history where these matters were far more important than building other people's nations.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »

There was a time in American history where these matters were far more important than building other people's nations.

I'm talking in the hypothetical. As long as a gay member of the military doesn't start hitting on another military member, and as long as other certain deeds go undone while on active duty, I don't see a problem with it.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

I propose, since we have Clarence as a Whig Senator, to begin drafting a formal platform.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »

I propose, since we have Clarence as a Whig Senator, to begin drafting a formal platform.

I agree, and I suggest we take up Simfan's draft that he posted on the first page and change it wherever a majority of party members think it is necessary:

We, the members of the Communitarian Whig Party, desirous of the advancement of the state of Atlasia, our country, and the preservation of its society, believe:

-That the foundation of a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society is the family and community.
-That we simultaneously re-affirm the idea of personal responsibility, aided via the community.
-That the greatest long-term crisis facing Atlasia today is the decline of social capital and community, which shall eventually come to harm that democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society we enjoy.
-That greatest power in the land is not the State, whether Federal or Regional, but instead the community and the individual.

-That the government is not the arbiter nor origin of economic growth, but rather a force than can and should be used to assisted the marketplace in its growth, in the interests of community and the nation.
-That the model of free and unrestricted two-way trade is the optimal model for trade between nations
-That the government is, by nature, the power that can best provide certain resources and services to society.
-The government should regulate trade and industry to maximize social equity, while in a manner that does not impede the normal functioning of the economy
-That welfare is meant to temporarily assist, not provide for, the people

-That Atlasia must be mindful of its being the world's foremost power
-That military conflict, in general, is counter to the well-being of man and thus must be avoided unless necessary
-That diplomacy, not warfare, is the cornerstone of foreign relations
-That multilateralism and collective security- a community of nations- is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad
-That the goals set out in foreign interventions must be achieved.

-That the maintenance of tradition is an integral part of society
-That the concepts of "rights" and "entitlements" must be balanced by an awareness of responsibilities obligations to others
-That the life of all must be defended, and so both executions and abortion must be made rare
-That the promotion of culture and science is an integral function of society and its organizations.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »

I have strong issue with the foreign policy plank... multilateralism should not be the goal- I believe we must remain the world's only superpower
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »

One can have both- cooperation through leadership.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »

I agree Simfan- but I believe multilateralism implies we want other nations to match out strength... unless I don't understand the term?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:03 AM »

I agree Simfan- but I believe multilateralism implies we want other nations to match out strength... unless I don't understand the term?

Nope, multilateralism is just that you behave in a cooperative way, not only on your own in every case.
Of course, when it's needed, even a multilateral policy, you keep your right to act on your own.

And it's written "the best way": not the only one.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »

BUMP!
It is time now for leadership election, IMO.
I draft Simfan for Chairman and humbly Myself for Vice-Chairman.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »

Is Simfan still here?
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »

His last visit was yesterday.