Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2018, 05:55:39 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: New features added! Click here for more information. Click here to configure new features.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, Lumine)
| | |-+  Whig Party National Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 45799 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2012, 10:01:20 pm »

The one on morality in our fighting men and women? If we are a conservative party, wouldn't we want to teach personal morality to our fighting men and women? Also, I know what I'm about to say will get me blasted like crazy but I must say it..... Banning gays from military service.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »

The one on morality in our fighting men and women? If we are a conservative party, wouldn't we want to teach personal morality to our fighting men and women? Also, I know what I'm about to say will get me blasted like crazy but I must say it..... Banning gays from military service.

Do you not believe our service members have personal morality?

Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: 4.17

« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »

Why would we want to do that?

The world is becoming globalized, but cosmopolitanism is being hijacked by the Davos Man. What choice is left besides nationalism? The thought is terrifying, to be honest.

I just hope Trump doesn't turn into some kind of Berlusconi-esque Teflon man.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:30 pm »

Wait!

Let's not get distracted over whether our servicemen need moral teaching, or whether gays should be banned. Let's discuss the party's official position on the Anti-conscription bill.

I say we should work for a compromise that would allow for a draft only in wartime.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:38 pm »

Wait!

Let's not get distracted over whether our servicemen need moral teaching, or whether gays should be banned. Let's discuss the party's official position on the Anti-conscription bill.

I say we should work for a compromise that would allow for a draft only in wartime.

I say we work to defeat it and if we have to settle for a compromise then so be it...

That is my mentality with all this and in life- push for what you want and if need be settle, but don't push with delicate hands. Come heavy or not at all

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:05 pm »

Wait!

I say we work to defeat it and if we have to settle for a compromise then so be it...

That is my mentality with all this and in life- push for what you want and if need be settle, but don't push with delicate hands. Come heavy or not at all

If a compromise can not be reached, then yes, Clarence, we should vote against it.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »

Wait!

If a compromise can not be reached, then yes, Clarence, we should vote against it.
Amen

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:21 pm »

Wait!

Amen

Clarence, I admire your attitude.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2012, 10:23:02 pm »

Wait!

Amen

Clarence, I admire your attitude.
Thanks brother- likewise

Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »

I think Clarence is right- let's push back as hard as we can, even if we don't get a full defeat, we can force a compromise.

The world is becoming globalized, but cosmopolitanism is being hijacked by the Davos Man. What choice is left besides nationalism? The thought is terrifying, to be honest.

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:13 pm »

I think Clarence is right- let's push back as hard as we can, even if we don't get a full defeat, we can force a compromise.

Let's also be sure to codify our position on this in the platform.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2012, 11:06:20 pm »

Do you not believe our service members have personal morality?

I believe many do seek to live morally virtuous lives. Sadly many around the world who serve in our military do not.

Would I support conscription in wartime as a compromise? I actually would.
Cath
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »

Does one have to be a morally virtuous person on issues unrelated to shooting the enemy, human rights, and nation building to be allowed into the armed services?

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »

There was a time in American history where these matters were far more important than building other people's nations.
Cath
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

There was a time in American history where these matters were far more important than building other people's nations.

I'm talking in the hypothetical. As long as a gay member of the military doesn't start hitting on another military member, and as long as other certain deeds go undone while on active duty, I don't see a problem with it.

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »

I propose, since we have Clarence as a Whig Senator, to begin drafting a formal platform.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:37 pm »

I propose, since we have Clarence as a Whig Senator, to begin drafting a formal platform.

I agree, and I suggest we take up Simfan's draft that he posted on the first page and change it wherever a majority of party members think it is necessary:

We, the members of the Communitarian Whig Party, desirous of the advancement of the state of Atlasia, our country, and the preservation of its society, believe:

-That the foundation of a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society is the family and community.
-That we simultaneously re-affirm the idea of personal responsibility, aided via the community.
-That the greatest long-term crisis facing Atlasia today is the decline of social capital and community, which shall eventually come to harm that democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society we enjoy.
-That greatest power in the land is not the State, whether Federal or Regional, but instead the community and the individual.

-That the government is not the arbiter nor origin of economic growth, but rather a force than can and should be used to assisted the marketplace in its growth, in the interests of community and the nation.
-That the model of free and unrestricted two-way trade is the optimal model for trade between nations
-That the government is, by nature, the power that can best provide certain resources and services to society.
-The government should regulate trade and industry to maximize social equity, while in a manner that does not impede the normal functioning of the economy
-That welfare is meant to temporarily assist, not provide for, the people

-That Atlasia must be mindful of its being the world's foremost power
-That military conflict, in general, is counter to the well-being of man and thus must be avoided unless necessary
-That diplomacy, not warfare, is the cornerstone of foreign relations
-That multilateralism and collective security- a community of nations- is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad
-That the goals set out in foreign interventions must be achieved.

-That the maintenance of tradition is an integral part of society
-That the concepts of "rights" and "entitlements" must be balanced by an awareness of responsibilities obligations to others
-That the life of all must be defended, and so both executions and abortion must be made rare
-That the promotion of culture and science is an integral function of society and its organizations.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2012, 05:06:53 pm »

I have strong issue with the foreign policy plank... multilateralism should not be the goal- I believe we must remain the world's only superpower

Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »

One can have both- cooperation through leadership.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »

I agree Simfan- but I believe multilateralism implies we want other nations to match out strength... unless I don't understand the term?

big bad fab
filliatre
YaBB God
Ukraine

« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:03 am »

I agree Simfan- but I believe multilateralism implies we want other nations to match out strength... unless I don't understand the term?

Nope, multilateralism is just that you behave in a cooperative way, not only on your own in every case.
Of course, when it's needed, even a multilateral policy, you keep your right to act on your own.

And it's written "the best way": not the only one.

Enjoy the French elections !
Enjoy polling analysis !
Enjoy my tracker !

http://sondages2017.wordpress.com/
Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

Political Matrix
E: 5.87, S: 6.70

« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

BUMP!
It is time now for leadership election, IMO.
I draft Simfan for Chairman and humbly Myself for Vice-Chairman.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2012, 08:46:37 am »

Is Simfan still here?

Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

Political Matrix