Whig Party National Conference (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:58:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51683 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: January 27, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

I am interested in a Communitarian Party even though I may be too far right economically to fit that description in the most superficial political sense (though I maintain many of my underlying instincts have been communitarian in nature since before I knew what communitarian was). If the RPP dissolution goes through, I will give this party serious consideration.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:08 PM »

Gay Marriage has been legal in Atlasia for some time now, so trying to outlaw it would be a bit of a political reach IMO (and that's quite an understatement). To be honest, I think you ought to delete that entire line from the platform since it doesn't actually say anything coherent in the first place.

In the same light, I don't see why you would raise the issue of the death penalty because it has also been illegal in Atlasia for a long time. There is no political will to legalize it, either. Taking stands on political non-issues isn't a great way to attract people to a party; it only pushes away those who marginally agree.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

I see. But do you agree that it is difficult nowadays to enter a nation with "humanitarian" intent and leave without at least contributing to some kind of nation-building? Is there any morality in enter a country, helping them topple an oppressive regime, for instance, and then leaving?

Humanitarian aid does not generally refer to entering a nation and helping topple an oppressive regime. It usually is more related to things like sending malayria nets to poor African villages that can't afford them or something like Haiti's earthquake relief. Sometimes we fund military groups or UN peacekeeping missions. I think these things often result in us ending up in fewer wars if done correctly.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

I agree with Tmthforu on this. Having elections for party chair often would lead to some sort of musical chairs effect and get in the way if we have a good chairman. Having an approval vote makes more sense for this position in my opinion.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »

May I join as a non-elected member? I'll run for the next opening that occurs in the IDS.

Welcome!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »

I think we should advocate at the federal level for abortion to be a regional issue and at the regional level to ban/heavily restrict abortion. While we don't need to turn this into a one-issue party, I don't think we have much to gain by completely shying away from taking a stand. I don't think it's much of a secret that most of this party's membership is pro-life.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »

Chair:

[X] Pingvin
[  ] Write-in: ____________________

Vice Chair:

[X] ZuWo
[  ] Write-in: ____________________

Bylaws*:

[X] Yes
[  ] No
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »

I think it might be problematic, if it implicitly rules out cutting the military to a smaller level. If we support small government the military should be cut as well.
At least we should agree on a defence policy first.
Maybe our respect could be directly connected to our veterans policy?

If Atlasia is supposed to be a virtual US this might be problematic but how about:
"We recognize the Judeo-Christian tradition as the primary moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government".

Where does the Whigs stand on climate change and alternative energy? I hope we are relatively progressive on this issue (otherwise I am in the wrong party Smiley ).

First of all, welcome to Atlasia and welcome to the Whig Party.

As for the religion point, I like what you have written--hopefully it is broad and vague enough not to turn off any non-Christians or non-Jews from joining or voting for Whig Party members.

We haven't discussed climate change or alternative energy much here but I would suspect the Whig Party would support energy research (our last point is to encourage and promote science) but likely oppose tough carbon enforcement measures (like a carbon tax) as something of a government intrusion. One of the main ideological issues here is that the Whig Party was started as a Communitarian right party that has sort of morphed into a general US style conservative party with some more libertarian aspects as well. The original ideology is probably more progressive on environmental issues but this may be an issue with some tension inside the party.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

1. "We recognize the Judeo-Christian tradition as the primary moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

2. "God gave us the earth in trust and we are merely the caretakers of it and should pass it on to future generations in at least the condition we received it."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

3. "The Whig Party will only use military intervention abroad if the national security of Atlasia or our allies is threatened."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

4. "The Whig Party supports alternative energy research and supports enviromental protection."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

5. "That the military and its traditions are a fundamental aspect of our heritage and national identity."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

6. "That multilateralism and collective security - a community of nations - is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »

I motion to hold a vote of no confidence in the leadership of Chairman Pingvin in accordance with our party's bylaws:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

I'm leaving soon for a three month summer vacation, and I will have a very rare access to Internets.
ZuWo will be acting chairman until my return.

Sincerely,

Whig Party Chairman, IDS Judicial Overlord Pingvin

While I have complete confidence in ZuWo's leadership abilities, I believe an election should rightfully be held for both positions of leadership rather than a de-facto vacancy.

Have a good vacation Mr. Chairman!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »

In that case, the office of Chairman is vacant and ZuWo becomes the Chairman:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unfortunately there is a problem with our bylaws: we have no provision for a vacancy in the office of Vice-Chairman. Since the Vice-Chairman can only be elected at the convention in April, August, or December, or in the event of a vacancy, maybe we should hold a vote of No Confidence in Vice-Chairman Vacancy? Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »

When we reach the appropriate moment, I have some suggestions for amending the Bylaws so this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

Do you have confidence in the current Vice Chair (vacant)?

[  ] Yes
[X] No
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

Who should be the new vice chair of the Whig Party?

[1] Simfan34
[2] 20RP12
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »

[1] Clarence
[2] Oakvale
[3] Tweed
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »

Aye.

I support Nathan's position and agree the Whig Party ought to do the same. We must stand in support of the rule of law.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies