Whig Party National Conference (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:37:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51684 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: January 27, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »
« edited: September 24, 2012, 06:40:27 PM by His Most Serene Excellency Simfan34 »

I feel as if the social and economic right is poorly represented in the new party layout, and while they're not as great a proportion of the Atlasian voter body as they are elsewhere, I am founding the Communitarian Party of Atlasia. I'll draft a platform tomorrow, but meanwhile, you can enjoy these proposed logos:

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2012, 09:19:52 PM by Simfan34 »

DRAFT PLATFORM

We, the members of the Communitarian Party, desirous of the advancement of the state of Atlasia, our country, and the preservation of its society, believe:

-That the foundation of a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society is the family and community.
-That we simultaneously re-affirm the idea of personal responsibility, aided via the community.
-That the greatest long-term crisis facing Atlasia today is the decline of social capital and community, which shall eventually come to harm that democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society we enjoy.
-That greatest power in the land is not the State, whether Federal or Regional, but instead the community and the individual.

-That the government is not the arbiter nor origin of economic growth, but rather a force than can and should be used to assisted the marketplace in its growth, in the interests of community and the nation.
-That the model of free and unrestricted two-way trade is the optimal model for trade between nations
-That the government is, by nature, the power that can best provide certain resources and services to society.
-The government should regulate trade and industry to maximize social equity, while in a manner that does not impede the normal functioning of the economy
-That welfare is meant to temporarily assist, not provide for, the people

-That Atlasia must be mindful of its being the world's foremost power
-That military conflict, in general, is counter to the well-being of man and thus must be avoided unless necessary
-That diplomacy, not warfare, is the cornerstone of foreign relations
-That multilateralism and collective security- a community of nations- is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad
-That the goals set out in foreign interventions must be achieved.

-That the maintenance of tradition is an integral part of society
-That the concepts of "rights" and "entitlements" must be balanced by an awareness of responsibilities obligations to others
-That the life of all must be defended, and so both executions and abortion must be made rare
-That the promotion of culture and science is an integral function of society and its organizations.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »

I need to know more about foreign policy... this sounds based on UN and seems a bit isolationist

How would this party feel about Iran developing a nuke?
We dislike military intervention, but when it is necessary we shall use it.

We stand opposed to Iran's development of a nuclear weapon, and while we would prefer a diplomatic solution, all option must be considered.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »

-That gay and lesbian Atlasians are the equals of their heterosexual counterparts, but tradition must be considered

Bullsh-t
Take that last part out, and this becomes very tempting for me.

I was not necessarily opposing gay marriage, but literally saying "tradition must be considered". I am more than willing to strike that from the platform.

Clarence: the party is called the Communitarian Party because it is a communitarian party. An economically rightist one, yes but communitarian and Christian-democratic nonetheless.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »

-That gay and lesbian Atlasians are the equals of their heterosexual counterparts, but tradition must be considered

Bullsh-t

I was not necessarily opposing gay marriage, but literally saying "tradition must be considered". I am more than willing to strike that from the platform.

Clarence: the party is called the Communitarian Party because it is a communitarian party. An economically rightist one, yes but communitarian and Christian-democratic nonetheless.

I'm unfamiliar with the term... but I think these are all minor issues we can settle at our first convention

No problem. I will of course launch the party if we can have at least five members.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »

Welcome, and I hope more people register with us!

We now have a wiki page!

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Communitarian_Party
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:15:19 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2012, 07:20:09 PM by Simfan34 »

I'm also proposing we oppose the death penalty. And are we up for gay marriage?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »

If they are non-issues, then they can be left out.

What do you mean by "tradition must be considered", then?

We respect the traditional family. That's pretty much it. I'd like to see some more sign-ups so we can get a convention to hammer out a platform.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »

Bullsh-t

Sad Pigs are fun and all, but...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

I heard the suggestion of "Whig" party mentioned. Sounds much better than communitarian. When I hear "Communitarian", I imagine some nice cozy little welfare state somewhere in Europe, very small and very insignificant and with a decidedly leftist tilt. My mental image for "Whig" is Henry Clay or Abe Lincoln wading through the mud stoidly in Kentucky or something, charging boldly and ruggedly ahead in the wilderness, fighting for internal improvements and other stuff. Whig is much better.

Seeing as the RPP is dissolving, I'll put this on my list of parties I'm consider joining.

Communitarianism is an ideology that stresses the importance of the community as an organic social unit, and advocates moral values and tradition.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »

I heard the suggestion of "Whig" party mentioned. Sounds much better than communitarian. When I hear "Communitarian", I imagine some nice cozy little welfare state somewhere in Europe, very small and very insignificant and with a decidedly leftist tilt. My mental image for "Whig" is Henry Clay or Abe Lincoln wading through the mud stoidly in Kentucky or something, charging boldly and ruggedly ahead in the wilderness, fighting for internal improvements and other stuff. Whig is much better.

Seeing as the RPP is dissolving, I'll put this on my list of parties I'm consider joining.

Communitarianism is an ideology that stresses the importance of the community as an organic social unit, and advocates moral values and tradition.

Parties arent named after their ideology usuually or we would have the Conservative and Liberal parties, not the Republican and Democratic parties. A Whig Party could have a communitarian ideology

I'm totally fine with the Whig Party- but we can see at a convention.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:43 PM »

What do we think? We currently have 6 members- can we get to 10?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »

I'll probably join, but the name "Whig Party" is terrible.

Which one did you prefer? Or what name would you like?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 03:03:18 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 03:05:04 PM by Simfan34 »

Now THAT'S scary.

Which part is scary to you- community, morals, or tradition? It is sccary that you find those scary!

I don't find any of those things scary, I found the wording scary.

What is "morality" in terms of values? I'd like to know that.

We want people to act as respectful, social citizens, and would like to stem the loss of "social capital"- as it is an important part of democracy. Morality is very basic- normal, respectful behavior that helps to better others as well as yourself.

EDIT: And what Clarence said.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »

This is why we support multilateralism. We go in, do what we need to do, and have peacekeepers maintain the peace while we continue with aid and capacity-building programs.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 03:21:51 PM by Simfan34 »

I believe yes- by humanitarian I mean genocide. I do not believe in intervening in a civil war or a dictatorship unless it becomes genocide. If we put an end to genoide and then hand over power to a group of tribal leaders, that is success.  Nation building is FAR more then setting up a government... it involves building schools and community buildings. In Afghanistan a major mission of our Navy right now is to subsidize and deliver crops to prevent rural farmers from getting into the opium trade- I would never want to get into things like that

Indeed. Locals can do that, with Atlasian aid and international peacekeepers. No major intervention is needed.

And while I don't mean to be rude, 20RP12, I think it's safe to say you won't be joining us. Can we not continue this in Political Debate? We need to organize our party.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »

In other news, we have a majority in the IDS legislature. Cheesy
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »

Do we? Who else aside from me and Pingvin?

And the IDS legislature has 3 members! Smiley
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »

Do we? Who else aside from me and Pingvin?

And the IDS legislature has 3 members! Smiley

Not anymore... just passed bill to move up to 5. Yelnoc, Teddy, and Taft4Prez are also members

Well I knew of Yelnoc, but... hmmm... we can say we are major!

Hurray, Cathcon!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »

Welcome, A-Bob!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »

Right now, Communitarian. The name has not yet been changed.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »

I used royal purple- like the guy in the middle of our logo.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »

The Communitarian Party's first Convention shall take place in Philadelphia, PA from Wednesday, February 1 to Tuesday, February 7 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. The Schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, February 1
12pm-6pm: Early registration
7pm: Cocktail reception at Philadelphia Marriott

Thursday, February 2
10am-4pm: Registration
2pm: Visit and speeches at University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering
6pm: Opening Address
8-10pm: Plenary session

Friday, February 3

2pm: Speeches
3pm-6pm: Plenary session
8pm: Dinner reception at Convention Center

Saturday, February 4

10am-2pm: Plenary session
4pm-6pm: Plenary session
8pm: Philadelphia Symphony performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade  

Sunday, February 5

3pm: Visit and speeches at Philadelphia Museum of Art
8pm: Dinner reception at  ?

Monday, February 6

10-1pm: Plenary session
2pm: Luncheon at Philadelphia Museum of Art
3pm-6pm: Plenary session

Tuesday, February 7

12-4pm: Plenary session
6pm: Closing banquet

Hope to see you all there!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »

Why don't we just begin now? February elections are soon... might as well get the ball rolling

I say wait for the two parties to formally dissolve, and allow more members to join. We need time to gather ideas, then we can vote on them at once and get it all straightened out. I think it's preferable to throwing them about and when we're about to close the convention someone says "OH I thought of this!".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »

The convention ends on the 7th, which gives us enough time. And of course, we'll be endorsing ZuWo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies