Whig Party National Conference (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:33:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51664 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

I think it might be problematic, if it implicitly rules out cutting the military to a smaller level. If we support small government the military should be cut as well.
At least we should agree on a defence policy first.
Maybe our respect could be directly connected to our veterans policy?

If Atlasia is supposed to be a virtual US this might be problematic but how about:
"We recognize the Judeo-Christian tradition as the primary moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government".

Where does the Whigs stand on climate change and alternative energy? I hope we are relatively progressive on this issue (otherwise I am in the wrong party Smiley ).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »

I generally think we should just ignore comments from nonmembers in this thread. Otherwise we wont get a debate started about the actual programme. Over all the interesting thing for me is to see if we could somehow combine the traditions of European Christian Democrats and American Conservatives into a coherent programme. That may not be possible, but it could be interesting to try.
Still I am new to this and if you feel the Whigs should simply be the Atlasian version of the US Republicans just let me know.

Regarding the positive role of religion sentence. I was simply thinking that we could see religion as a generally positive force in society and be in favour of some level of government funding for religious schools, perhaps in a voucher system.
A coherent pro-life approach regarding abortion, euthanasia, the boundaries of bio-scientific research and the death penalty would be part of this tradition in my view. But I realize I am probably in the minority regarding the death penalty.

Regarding the environment I support the Christian Democratic "caretaker"-argument. That is "God gave us the earth in trust and we are merely the caretakers of it and should pass it on to future generations in at least the condition we received it". This view leads to a relatively high level of government intervention compared to the mainstream US Conservative approach, but some of those policies could be market based like a cap n trade-model for carbon-dioxine emission.

I agree with Simfan regarding the multilateral approach to foreign policy. But we should specify a level of defence spending. In my view this level should be consistent with relatively low taxes and a balanced budget.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »

I would like amend the platform:
While Whig Party is not pacifist, we support non-interventionist foreign policy.
How about: "The Whig Party will only use military intervention abroad if the national security of Atlasia or our allies is threatened".

Otherwise we cant be a part of military alliances.

How about genocide abroad? Could we provide troops for UN-operations to prevent genocide? Or is it none of our business?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2012, 04:14:05 PM by politicus »

The chairman should make a list of the various proposals so we can vote on them.

Include my "caretaker"-argument as a proposal.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 05:10:35 PM by politicus »

1. "We recognize the Judeo-Christian tradition as the primary moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government."

[ x ] Aye
[ ] Nay

2. "God gave us the earth in trust and we are merely the caretakers of it and should pass it on to future generations in at least the condition we received it."

[ x  ] Aye
[ ] Nay

3. "The Whig Party will only use military intervention abroad if the national security of Atlasia or our allies is threatened."

[X] Aye
[  ] Nay

4. "The Whig Party supports alternative energy research and supports enviromental protection."

[X] Aye
[  ] Nay

5. "That the military and its traditions are a fundamental aspect of our heritage and national identity."

[  ] Aye
[ X ] Nay

6. "That multilateralism and collective security - a community of nations - is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad."

[X] Aye
[  ] Nay
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

Ladies and Gentelmen, lets vote on National Convention Host City!
[] Chicago, IL
[] Columbus, OH
[] Cleveland, OH
[] Pittsburgh, PA
[] Indianapolis, IN
[] Cincinnati, OH
[] Atlantic City, NJ
[] St. Paul, MN
[ x ] Niagara Falls, NY
[] Winona Lake, IN
[] Milford, IN
[] St. Louis, MO
[] Detroit, MI
[] Wichita, KS
[] Denver, CO
[] Birmingham, AL
[] Mandan, ND
[] Springfield, IL
[] Minneapolis, MN
[] Bird-In-Hand, PA
[] Fairfield Glade, TN
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

Ehhh I'm thinking more so of having regulating to the point where you have externalities and private cost at the same level and in equilibrium with the market demand
Thats pretty much my position.
Since we are some European Christian Democrats and US Moderates in the party, its platform is to the left of US Conservatives in some areas.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2012, 06:24:37 PM by 中国共产党=criminals »

Who should be the new vice chair of the Whig Party?

[1] 20RP12
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies