Is Mormonism a Religion or a Cult (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:41:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Mormonism a Religion or a Cult (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What say you?
Religion

Cult

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Is Mormonism a Religion or a Cult  (Read 10131 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 01, 2012, 05:46:26 AM »

thread question makes about as much sense as "is an apple a fruit or is it red?"
As I said, I want to gauge your gut-level reaction.

ok, but just understand I don't do "gut-level reaction" to such things, rather I compare to scripture in order to make an objective decision.

have you read the Book of Mormon?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »

the LDS Church instructs us to read the entirety of the Book of Mormon, and then pray to our Heavenly Father and ask him if it is true.  I am embarking on this journey now.  I am about 2% of the way through the Book.  I ask you to join me before summarily rejecting the Holy Text.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »

I don't reply in detail to all of this.  after all I've only read through the first nine chapter of 1 Nephi, and I've yet to quit caffeine or alcohol.  but allow me to say.  as I am affected by postmodern thinking, I reject the Christian binary.  that one must accept something as Canonical or not, as 'true' or not.  no, there is a Holy Spirit: and so much around us is influenced by that Spirit.  to accept or reject any text in totality is to err.  I find the Book of Mormon is dripping in the Holy Spirit: whether this means it is inerrant, well, I am not qualified to say.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

I rented a book last year titled 'On Being a Christian'... by a 'distinguished' Catholic theologian, Hans Kung.  and he claims belief in God is "a confidence based in reality itself".  so I don't find myself looking for proof of objective truth, but rather, that confidence... this I told my LDS missionaries on Sunday, and they agreed with the general sentiment.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »

jmf, I appreciate the degree of attention, but as I am but a novice in LDS history and doctrine, I must indefinitely suspend meaningful conversation on these points.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

jmf, I appreciate the degree of attention, but as I am but a novice in LDS history and doctrine, I must indefinitely suspend meaningful conversation on these points.

novice or expert...I'm just warning you of what should be obvious brainwashing techniques which feed upon the one's desire to be apart of something bigger than one's self.

I'm only heading towards a Grand Inquisitor style anti-faith: my defenses are strong.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »

I don't see the contradiction.  it's clear the author felt a transcendental inspiration while penning it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies