Is the Mormon baptism by proxy practice much different from infant baptism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:36:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the Mormon baptism by proxy practice much different from infant baptism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the Mormon baptism by proxy practice much different from infant baptism?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Is the Mormon baptism by proxy practice much different from infant baptism?  (Read 1623 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: January 28, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »

Infant baptism strikes me as worse.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »

So would you encourage anyone who remains Christian who was baptized as a baby to be rebaptized? I guess you'd approve of me "invalidating" my infant baptism by getting rebaptized in a few weeks. Smiley
"Invalidating" Baptism? Dude, it's a Sacrament. Either that  charade your parents went through when they had you baptized as an infant was not a Sacrament at all but a mockery of one (and thus probably blasphemous to boot; not consciously of course, not saying that at all), and then there is no reason to bother with invalidating though you do need to be rebaptized; or it's valid anyways and you can't invalidate it (though I guess you could still be rebaptized just for, you know, yourself and the world, rather than God).

While I've heard of errors of ritual "invalidating" a Sacrament, I've never heard of some kind of "invalidating ceremony". That seems to be an innovation to Christianity quite as strange and disturbing as anything the Mormons come up with.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 05:33:51 AM »

Protestant churches that don't baptize babies still have a dedication ceremony for them, mine is doing it the same day I'm being baptized. So the view is that infant baptism is not an actual baptism, just equivalent to a dedication except using water. People who were baptized as babies therefore were merely only dedicated and can grow up and decide to be baptized if they wish (like I am), and if they aren't they baptized again it's not a big deal since baptism is only symbolic in most's view and not required for salvation (unless you're talking to some very legalistic cult-like groups and some extreme Pentecostal sects even other Pentecostals consider crazy.)
And even then there'd be no issue with the double Baptism - one's valid and the other's just some unnecessary-but-not-harmful kind of dedication / confirmation ceremony.

So what is this thing you're doing then before getting - oh. Just scrolled down and noticed that I read that wrong. "By" getting rebaptized. Alright. Objection dropped. Have your Baptism for real this time. Like I care. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies