Oil Spill Protection Act [Lazily Law'd]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:16:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Oil Spill Protection Act [Lazily Law'd]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oil Spill Protection Act [Lazily Law'd]  (Read 4765 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »
« edited: February 24, 2012, 10:03:37 AM by Mad Marokai, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(General slot, excluding Amendments.)

Sponsor: Marokai Blue
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »

I think this piece of legislation is actually really great and I'm glad it has been proposed, but my biggest problem is Section 3 Clause 1...I think the language should be changed to "In the event of an oil spill or another oil-related disaster, the oil and drilling companies in question shall be entirely responsible for the disaster and shall be largely responsible for cleanup, however, if Atlasian citizens wish to volunteer to assist cleanup efforts, they shall be allowed to do so." or something like that. Volunteerism brings people together Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »

I think this piece of legislation is actually really great and I'm glad it has been proposed, but my biggest problem is Section 3 Clause 1...I think the language should be changed to "In the event of an oil spill or another oil-related disaster, the oil and drilling companies in question shall be entirely responsible for the disaster and shall be largely responsible for cleanup, however, if Atlasian citizens wish to volunteer to assist cleanup efforts, they shall be allowed to do so." or something like that. Volunteerism brings people together Tongue

How about this? More simple, I think:

Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:10:17 AM »

That's better Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:13:35 AM »

We should give incentive to companies that improve their environmental record year to year , maybe by offering a lower tax rate for better performance.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »

We should give incentive to companies that improve their environmental record year to year , maybe by offering a lower tax rate for better performance.

I think a specifically lower rate would be a potential administrative nightmare... perhaps a tax credit would be better.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

I think a specifically lower rate would be a potential administrative nightmare... perhaps a tax credit would be better.

Yeah, this. I'm in favor of lower taxation for all businesses, but I could be persuaded to support tax credits for more "responsible" companies.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »

Yeah, this. I'm in favor of lower taxation for all businesses, but I could be persuaded to support tax credits for more "responsible" companies.

This bill raises taxes.

I have an aversion to the phrase "tax credit", rightwing connotations, but it could work for sure.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »

This bill raises taxes.

I have an aversion to the phrase "tax credit", rightwing connotations, but it could work for sure.

Lol, alright call it an earned corporate tax deduction?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »

Would it be wise to include language in this repealing the 2010 Oil Spill Protection effort so as to remove overlap?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »

Very modestly, and only on oil companies that make over 1 billion in profits a year, and for a good (and life-saving) purpose. The oil industry is literally the most profitable industry on Earth.

I'm certainly open to including some sort of tax credit, if your support hinges on such a thing. I'm not really sure how to write it up in this instance, though.

Would it be wise to include language in this repealing the 2010 Oil Spill Protection effort so as to remove overlap?

After a quick browsing of that Act I see nothing in the two that directly contradict. I see no reason why they can't work in tandem with each other. This bill mostly just sets up different funding mechanisms, more research and development on safety and cleanup tech, and forces companies to be responsible for their messes.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »

I'd be supportive of an earned corporate tax reduction, but I don't think I would like to see it by too much, since we're already only taxing profits above a level that most people and companies would consider exorbitant anyway. Something like reducing it to 4% or 3.5% would I think be good.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

I'd be supportive of an earned corporate tax reduction, but I don't think I would like to see it by too much, since we're already only taxing profits above a level that most people and companies would consider exorbitant anyway. Something like reducing it to 4% or 3.5% would I think be good.

What about reducing the profits tax that goes into the oil fund once it reaches a certain point? Once the Oil Spill Protection Fund reaches two billion, or something, we could cut the tax in half.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »

What about reducing the profits tax that goes into the oil fund once it reaches a certain point? Once the Oil Spill Protection Fund reaches two billion, or something, we could cut the tax in half.

I initially forwarded the idea to try and get companies to self-regulate, so that the fund can be used when most needed. Im open to discussing the merits of capping it though.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 01:58:37 AM »

I initially forwarded the idea to try and get companies to self-regulate, so that the fund can be used when most needed. Im open to discussing the merits of capping it though.

Yes, I'm not sure it's a great idea to treat this as a one-off thing. The purpose of this should be to foster appropriate and responsible business practices and ethics in the energy industry. It's not as if there's a dearth of things in the energy/environmental realm to use new revenue sources for, anyway.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 02:23:15 AM »

Yes, I'm not sure it's a great idea to treat this as a one-off thing. The purpose of this should be to foster appropriate and responsible business practices and ethics in the energy industry. It's not as if there's a dearth of things in the energy/environmental realm to use new revenue sources for, anyway.

Completely agree with this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you're both arguing for, sorry. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the idea? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »

I think what Nathan said is don't cap it, just send the revenue to other places related to energy and environmental issues. I am not sure how that encourages responsible business practices, if so. 

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:55 AM »

Well, is that interpretation an accurate and fair representation of the sentiments expressed on this measure by the humble and honerable servants and dilligent representatives of their respective constituencies, Senators Nathan and Polnut (listed here by senority of course).
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 12:17:49 AM by Senator Polnut »

Well, is that interpretation an accurate and fair representation of the sentiments expressed on this measure by the humble and honerable servants and dilligent representatives of their respective constituencies, Senators Nathan and Polnut (listed here by senority of course).

My my, nothing catty in that at all.

What it comes down to for me, is that businesses are provided both incentives for ecologically sound behaviour, as well as disincentives for practices that are damaging.

I support Senator Marokai's position on reducing the overall tax once it reaches are particular point. The problem then becomes, who do we know when an appropriate amount has been raised, assuming we go down that route.

However, a tax-only strategy doesn't exactly promote ecologically sound practices, I'm not 100% on the best way to incentivise the process... hence why I've been a little quieter on this issue-

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »

That's a fair assessment of what I meant, yes.

I also would like positive as well as negative incentives, if we can think of anything that might work that way.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »

If someone wants to amend this bill, please do so. I don't particularly want to change anything about it myself, but if someone insists on it, propose it, and I probably won't oppose it. But if no one proposes something within 24 hours I'm bringing this to a vote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »

Okay then folks. With no discussion after 24 hours, I'm bringing this to a final vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Aye!
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

Abstain.
Mopsus
MOPolitico