January 2012 Jobs Report
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:52:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  January 2012 Jobs Report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: January 2012 Jobs Report  (Read 2991 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

The verbiage about expecting conditions to warrant low rates is confusing. What we ideally want is a clear statement like: "The Committee wants to see hundreds of thousands of Americans get jobs each and every month, even if transitioning hundreds of thousands of people from idleness to unemployment causes temporary spikes in the price of gasoline, primary commodities, or rental housing."

This sort of thought process is scary. The last thing we need is politicians bringing massive stagflation back to America. Stagnation is bad enough.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »

At least Newt could mount an attack on Obama from a cultural angle (as sad and disturbing as that would be). The economy is all Romney has going for him. Really.
So Obama gets over 60% of the vote?

He only got 53% of the vote when there was:

- "Hope and change"
- A financial crisis to blame on Bush/Republicans
- An old, erratic, unattractive John McCain as his opponent
- Sarah Palin to mock

How in the world is he going to manage anything close to 53% in THIS environment, but especially if another financial crisis hits due to the troubles in Europe? You do realize what Carl's numbers are showing, right? Things are still worse off than they were three years ago when Obama took office. Not just that, but we have an enormous amount of discouraged workers who are not even reflected in the unemployment rate.

Ah, the sweet smell of desperation.

Things are better now then they were four years ago, only a partisan hack would think other wise. The country was losing 2.6 million jobs under the previous administration. Under Obama, we have had 22 months of straight growth.

The country's outlook on 2012 has also changed for the better looking at polls. Even your pal, Mitt has dropped this silly talking point.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »

The "hope and change" of January 2009 is now got any change, Obama?

The difference between Obama and Romney:

Obama: I bless the culture of dependence.
Romney: "God bless the USA."

Fixed.  There should be a law against using quotations around phrases no sane individual would ever utter. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

I really hope Politico is getting paid for this. Otherwise, it's a pretty sad thing to witness.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »

At least Newt could mount an attack on Obama from a cultural angle (as sad and disturbing as that would be). The economy is all Romney has going for him. Really.

- "Hope and change"
- Sarah Palin to mock

How in the world is he going to manage anything close to 53% in THIS environment, but especially if another financial crisis hits due to the troubles in Europe? You do realize what Carl's numbers are showing, right? Things are still worse off than they were three years ago when Obama took office. Not just that, but we have an enormous amount of discouraged workers who are not even reflected in the unemployment rate. The real unemployment rate that America is feeling is well into the double digits.
We are talking about Newt Gingrich here...
And guess what kind of stories would media run if he tries to be the culture warrior.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

This report is even better than it looks. Including revisions to the previous two months, and the benchmark adjustment of previous reports to payroll data, total payrolls are 468,000 higher than the amount thought a month ago.

If even Beet is impressed...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »

The "hope and change" of January 2009 is now got any change, Obama?

The difference between Obama and Romney:

Obama: I bless the culture of dependence.
Romney: "God bless the USA."

Fixed.  There should be a law against using quotations around phrases no sane individual would ever utter. 

Truth hurts, huh?

Obama is nothing more than a fan of the nanny state, and somebody who wishes they were the leader of a legit Big Brother government.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »

- "Hope and change"
- Sarah Palin to mock

How in the world is he going to manage anything close to 53% in THIS environment, but especially if another financial crisis hits due to the troubles in Europe? You do realize what Carl's numbers are showing, right? Things are still worse off than they were three years ago when Obama took office. Not just that, but we have an enormous amount of discouraged workers who are not even reflected in the unemployment rate. The real unemployment rate that America is feeling is well into the double digits.

Oh yeah. I missed that part. Yeah, Gingrich would probably lose about 58-40 or so. I am not going to go there because I already have numerous times.

Romney/Obama will either be 49-49 one way or the other, or a 54-44 win for Romney.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

- "Hope and change"
- Sarah Palin to mock

Oh yeah. I missed that part. Yeah, Gingrich would probably lose about 58-40 or so. I am not going to go there because I already have numerous times.

Romney/Obama will either be 49-49 one way or the other, or a 54-44 win for Romney.
But not 53-45 Romney, or 50-48 Obama?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »

- "Hope and change"
- Sarah Palin to mock

Obviously the figures are an approximation. However, although I think Obama could obtain a plurality, I do not think he has any chance of obtaining a majority against Romney.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

- "Hope and change"
- Sarah Palin to mock

Obviously the figures are an approximation. However, although I think Obama could obtain a plurality, I do not think he has any chance of obtaining a majority against Romney.
Even if unemployment drops below 7%(assuming we keep dropping .2 each month, under the most optimistic expectations)?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:47 PM »

- "Hope and change"
- Sarah Palin to mock

Even if unemployment drops below 7%(assuming we keep dropping .2 each month, under the most optimistic expectations)?

Yes. The rate drop has been completely driven by discouraged workers.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »

Cite?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

Cite?
he's trolling
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »

politicos gonna politic
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2012, 10:22:50 PM by Politico »

Cite?

Look at Carl's post. There are literally millions more discouraged workers today compared to three years ago. The participation rate has gone down two percentage points over the past three years, or roughly 3.3%. Not how you want to get the unemployment rate to come down. Gallup also has their underemployment figure well over 15%, too.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

Politico,

You have to understand that facts are irrelevant to Obama supporters.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

Politico,

Yeah, you have to wonder if they're going to think they got sucked into a wormhole on Tuesday, November 6. They really have NO IDEA what is going to happen. It's going to be hilarious.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »

Politico,

Yeah, you have to wonder if they're going to think they got sucked into a wormhole on Tuesday, November 6. They really have NO IDEA what is going to happen. It's going to be hilarious.

To be fair, nobody has any idea what is going to happen on that day.  This race is so fluid, and so volatile, that it could change on a whim.  We're likely to see several lead changes through the next 9 months.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

The Republicans have to be pretty sad that there's actually some good economic news.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 12:52:26 AM »

Politico,

Everyone will have a pretty good idea what will happen by November 1st, polling is pretty decent politico, by that time it should be pretty easy to call the race one way or another correctly if you don't live under a rock.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »

Politico,

Will you be sticking around the forum if your homeboy loses?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 02:46:37 AM »

Politico,

Will you be sticking around the forum if your homeboy loses?

$10,000 bet?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:19 AM »

What exactly does Mitt Romney have to run on if the economy keeps this up?

Belief in America™

I believe in America, I don't believe in Mitt Romney.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »

What exactly does Mitt Romney have to run on if the economy keeps this up?

Belief in America™

I believe in America, I don't believe in Mitt Romney.

Why do you hate freedom?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies