Romney pledges to launch an armada of galleons if elected. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:30:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney pledges to launch an armada of galleons if elected. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney pledges to launch an armada of galleons if elected.  (Read 2379 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: January 28, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »

Obama stands in a position of strength on foreign policy (Bin Laden, Libya, Iraq ending, tough stand on piracy etc.).  This issue has long been a GOP winner.  For decades the perception is that D's are hopelessly weak and therefore Mitt is pulling out anything out to try to rekindle this.

It is a simplistic attack, however, the large expected decrease in the number of fighters and the aging strategic bomber fleet are issues to analyze. I think there will be a big shift toward relatively inexpensive UCAVS so the US will have to be prudent to maintain the technological and strategic edge.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »

Obama stands in a position of strength on foreign policy (Bin Laden, Libya, Iraq ending, tough stand on piracy etc.).  This issue has long been a GOP winner.  For decades the perception is that D's are hopelessly weak and therefore Mitt is pulling out anything out to try to rekindle this.

It is a simplistic attack, however, the large expected decrease in the number of fighters and the aging strategic bomber fleet are issues to analyze. I think there will be a big shift toward relatively inexpensive UCAVS so the US will have to be prudent to maintain the technological and strategic edge.

Yes my assumption was it was just the usual recycled meme of "Dem's weak.  Me strong."  I just don't know why a man who allegedly made his money analyzing the value of things would make such an imbecilic comparison for two branches of our armed forces.  Sarah Palin could have done that.  Romney is better than this.

You and other posters in this thread have brought up some good and very serious points.  You are correct.  We do have a lot of aging hardware in our military as evidenced by the F-15 that broke up in mid flight.  We really need to evaluate our military.  Well first our military needs some down time.  Then we need to take inventory.  Then we need to figure out what our future missions are going to be and retool for them.  This is a very serious matter.

And as others have said we need to figure out how we are going to pay for it.  We can't just say we are going to purchase more super carriers, cut taxes on the rich, and magically balance the budget.  This is my fundamental problem with Romney.  If if you think Obama is doing a bad job with the economy is there any evidence that Romney is going to do a better job?  Tax cuts for the rich and more military spending has been tried since the 1980s.  It's the reason we are in such bad shape now.

This can't be true because it is Obama who is the one who tells people and promises them what they want to believe.... ha.

The fact is there are a lot of people in this country who get an inordinate satisfaction about being the toughest guy/nation on the block and being able to kick a$$.  For them the often extravagant military spending is an end itself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies