AZ-08 special election: Primary 4/17, General 6/12 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:32:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-08 special election: Primary 4/17, General 6/12 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-08 special election: Primary 4/17, General 6/12  (Read 18110 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »

Alas, I assume that Kelly has it in lockdown for the Pubs.  I think the odds are about 3-2 that the Dems will hold the seat. Even if Kelly won the special, he might have trouble holding the seat in November since it will be a couple of points more Dem, thanks to the "independent" commission drawing a Dem gerrymander.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2012, 10:07:04 AM by Torie »

The Pubs keep running social conservatives of mediocre talent in a CD that needs someone considerably more supple.  Kelly's 59% disapproval tells the tale, even if the poll has too many Dems in it. I am surprised by the margin though. I had this CD tilt Dem for the special, and lean Dem for the General. I guess Kelly is even more of a beta than I thought. It looks like it needs to be moved to likely Dem for both elections - maybe safe for the General.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »

The Pubs keep running social conservatives of mediocre talent in a CD that needs someone considerably more supple.  Kelly's 59% disapproval tells the tale, even if the poll has too many Dems in it. I am surprised by the margin though. I had this CD tilt Dem for the special, and lean Dem for the General. I guess Kelly is even more of a beta than I thought. It looks like it needs to be moved to likely Dem for both elections - maybe safe for the General.

Kelly got 49% in this district just 2 years ago, and more importantly, in this election more Republicans have voted than Democrats. I believe 5% more last time I checked.

Registration in the new AZ-02 is only 34.7 R, 34.2 D, 31.1 I. The new district, of course (your favorite phrase), is very similar to the old one.

The new district is 3 points more Dem actually. AZ has a quite skillful Dem gerrymander.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »

Yes, of course, its very brave of them to do so. It's certainly easier for accurate pollsters to poll less than more.

Of course, as a result of Amendment 1, Walker, and Kelly, PPP has now made Nate Silver's House Effect list.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/statistical-noise-in-election-polls/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

How much did PPP overstate Barber's margin?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies