Did Obama just win Indiana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Did Obama just win Indiana?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Obama just win Indiana?  (Read 4034 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

Does anybody else think the "right-to-work" debacle unfolding in Indiana just sealed the deal in that state?

I cannot imagine why Indiana would go Republican now.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »

No.
billbillerson
Eversole
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:55:41 PM »

I guess you can always deceive yourselves into thinking the "right-to-work" garbage helps the GOP.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »

Does anybody else think the "right-to-work" debacle unfolding in Indiana just sealed the deal in that state?

I cannot imagine why Indiana would go Republican now.

But according to you no states can go Republican without voter fraud. Sadly with the way the country's going your probably going to be right soon enough.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »

I do agree that the extremist anti-worker rhetoric and policy from the GOP in the midwest is a net negative for them during the presidential election, and it certainly seals the deal in Wisconsin and makes Ohio that much easier for the President.  However I'm not convinced it will tip the scales in Indiana.  We'll see - but I do think the tendency to poo-poo bandit's point here is in error - this stuff isn't helpful for the bad guys.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »

I don't know if it sealed the deal, but I think Obama just became increasingly likely to keep the state, now.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »

Eh, it moves it to toss-up or tilt R, I'd say. I was inclined to think of it as between lean and likely R before.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

Indiana isn't a state like Ohio, Michigan or Wisconsin. Before Obama, Democrats won it only 4 times in 20th Century (one with Republicans split and a favourite son at ticket (1912) and three gigantical landslides (2 FDR and LBJ). Then, to win Indiana again, Obama will have a hard time. Although with bad scenarium to Romney in Ohio, I can see state in a more tossup situation than expected. Obama can pull a win against Romney if there's a strong backlash between moderate Republicans after Lugar's teabaggering and right-to-work contaminates even more bad climate at state politics. If state goes competitive, I can see Democrats with good chances not only to take Senate chair, like taking Gubernatorial Mansion too.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:30:36 PM »

I don't know how much it will effect the election, but it surely won't boost Republican chances like they believe it will. The attitude of invincibility is what could lose Indiana for Republicans, they seem to think they can't lose anywhere at all.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »

If Obama wins IN, he will when it on Election Night, not 10 monts out.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »

I don't know how much it will effect the election, but it surely won't boost Republican chances like they believe it will. The attitude of invincibility is what could lose Indiana for Republicans, they seem to think they can't lose anywhere at all.

There is a lot more at stake in 2012the than we realize. Both parties are going all in, in a way we've never before witnessed.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »

Indiana isn't a particularly union state.  IIRC, they benefitted from largely non-union Japanese car manufacturers setting up shop there, as opposed to the surrounding union-friendly states.  IN is not WI and certainly not MI or OH.  (I do think SB 5 did a good job of killing OH for the GOP in 2012.)
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »

At beast it makes the state very pink (or Atlas sky blue) but at this point I think Obama has better odds in AZ than IN.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »

I still can't believe he won Indiana last time. That was pretty surreal when they called it for him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »

Indiana isn't a particularly union state.  IIRC, they benefitted from largely non-union Japanese car manufacturers setting up shop there, as opposed to the surrounding union-friendly states.  IN is not WI and certainly not MI or OH.  (I do think SB 5 did a good job of killing OH for the GOP in 2012.)

The tip-off is Ohio. Ohio has been decided by less than 5% of the last five Presidential elections. It goes wider than that only in electoral blowouts.

In 2008 Ohio went for Obama by about 4.5% and Indiana went for Obama by 1% in an election that verged on a blowout. President Obama was up by 6% (against Santorum), 7% (against Romney), and 10% (against Gingrich and Paul).

Indiana of course went unusually well for President Obama in 2008 for any Democrat because (1) he was from a neighboring state, (2) he got much media attention in Indiana, (3) he campaigned extensively in Indiana, and (4) the economic meltdown hit Indiana with a triple whammy in the RV industry with the evaporation of consumer credit, the sudden meltdown of consumer demand for big-ticket items (RVs), and  of course the disintegration of consumer confidence. Kerry lost Indiana by 20% while losing Ohio by 3%; Gore lost the state by 15% in the closest election in American history; Clinton lost the state twice by about 6% in decisive wins nationwide, both times winning all states surrounding Indiana; Carter lost it by 7% in a bare national win in 1976; JFK lost it by 10%.

It's hard to predict whether a state will go back to old ways or whether something is changing. Nothing except its past suggests that Indiana is a solid R state. The same can be said about Virginia, and Virginia is understood to be a swing state.  

Unions are much of the core support of the Democratic Party in Indiana,  and they will be going after any state legislator who voted for the Right-to-Work (for much less) legislation. The state legislature so gerrymandered the state's legislative districts that the Democrats could win statewide yet hold only two Congressional seats in the Indiana delegation. In the event that the Republicans tea-bag Dick Lugar into political retirement, a US Senate seat goes up for grabs.  

Question: will Indiana Democrats do what it takes to have any modicum of political success in Indiana?

If Obama wins IN, he will when it on Election Night, not 10 monts out.

True. And President Obama could still win the state's eleven electoral votes and lose all else.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »

Obama doesn't carry Indiana outside of a landslide of 2008 proportions or greater (Yes, I do consider 2008 a landslide).
Scabr
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »

Obama doesn't carry Indiana outside of a landslide of 2008 proportions or greater (Yes, I do consider 2008 a landslide).

2008 wasn't a landslide. If you want to talk landslide try 1984 or 1932. Silent Joe will lose badly to either Lugar (who will be tea partied) or Mourdock. If it's Romney then Indiana will be up for grabs because Evangelicals aren't quite liking the idea of voting for a Morman.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies