U.S. State Government Adopting Parliamentary System
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:10:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  U.S. State Government Adopting Parliamentary System
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. State Government Adopting Parliamentary System  (Read 2185 times)
beneficii
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »

What if say California were to adopt a (republican) parliamentary system?  Like say, where the governor is elected, but he/she is powerless and just appoints a cabinet from the majority party or coalition in the legislature, and dissolves the legislature on the advice of the state's prime minister and calls for new elections?  And of course where the legislature would have a maximum amount of time it could serve?

I wonder if that would be constitutional.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »

What if say California were to adopt a (republican) parliamentary system?  Like say, where the governor is elected, but he/she is powerless and just appoints a cabinet from the majority party or coalition in the legislature, and dissolves the legislature on the advice of the state's prime minister and calls for new elections?  And of course where the legislature would have a maximum amount of time it could serve?

Looking at history, it seems that South Carolina had something of a parliamentary system leading up to the civil war, in which the legislature appointed the governor, the cabinet, the judges, the presidential electors, everybody.  Still, that was so long ago, I'm not sure the constitutionality would still hold up today.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2011, 10:25:12 AM by J. J. »

I think it would be.  The requirement is a "republican form of government," and you could have one with a weak executive.  Considering the variation in power of governors, currently, it would not be a stretch.
WillK

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »

Sure.   Why not?  You wrote that it would be "(republican)".

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »

Sure.   Why not?  You wrote that it would be "(republican)".

Sorry corrected it.  It would not be a stretch.

There are some "weak Governors" out there, whose executive powers are curtailed.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »

Yes, it would be constitutional due to it being a republican system. Besides, there are already plenty of weak governors out there. In Texas, for example, the lieutenant governorship is a better position than the governorship when it comes to pushing programs through the legislature. In Indiana, the legislature can reassign statutory power from the governor to other department heads, rendering the governor essentially powerless. So it's not that much a stretch, really.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »

I wish the US would adopt that as a whole.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »

This seems like something Nebraska or Vermont would try. It's always been an idea of mine to have a "State of Plymouth", a surviving Plymouth Colony, that would have all kinds of pusedo-English idiosyncrasies : a state parliament, a Lord Governor, Law Lords, a multi-party system, ministers, all re-adapted for a republic, of course.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »

What about state monarchy?  An emperor/king/queen who is not elected but is allowed to veto or pass legislation, with no other powers?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

What about state monarchy?  An emperor/king/queen who is not elected but is allowed to veto or pass legislation, with no other powers?

Explicitly forbidden by the U.S. Constitution not just once, but twice.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies