Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:02:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting  (Read 85592 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »

No one has to vote for me if they do not wish to, that is rather the beauty of democracy. Wink

But, I quite simply want this to be fun (I know I keep saying that, but I can't say it enough).  Why not have a six candidate race?  With IRV it'll sure be fun. Wink
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »

No one has to vote for me if they do not wish to, that is rather the beauty of democracy. Wink

But, I quite simply want this to be fun (I know I keep saying that, but I can't say it enough).  Why not have a six candidate race?  With IRV it'll sure be fun. Wink

I agree, I just hope people realise how important preference are going to be in this one...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2012, 01:26:52 AM »

I agree, I just hope people realise how important preference are going to be in this one...
^^^This.

I was telling Napoleon earlier - preferencing will decide who our next President/Vice President is. I'm certain of it. I'm actually not sure if anyone will even crack 30% after the first round.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2012, 01:49:29 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2012, 02:02:13 AM by Nathan »

I'm rescinding my No vote and I urge everyone to throw their support behind Barnes's candidacy for President of the Republic of Atlasia.

Voting is now concluded. Because of the various voting changes I'm declaring the first question unresolved and moot due to Barnes's decision to run. The order of preference hashed out in the second question goes a little something like this:

1. Barnes
2. EarlAW
3. Polnut
4. Duke
5. ZuWo
6. 20RP12

If anybody has objections to this, based on the merits of the scope of the voting, please let me know within the next few hours. Otherwise this will be the Labor Party's official recommendation for preferencing in the Presidential race (though depending on the situation we will not penalize in any form tactical voting otherwise than this to prevent the Presidency falling into the hands of the Right).

I'd also like to take this time to urge that Xahar or Antonio or both consider a run for Pacific Senator. We're the largest party in that region and bgwah is retiring so this is probably our best chance in this cycle to build up a strong Senatorial presence.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »

I thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. This has been a very hectic day, mainly thanks to me. Tongue
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »

Changing my vote to YES since this IRV.
1. Barnes
2. EarlAW
3. Polnut
4. Duke
5. ZuWo
6. 20RP12
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »

Well, if Barnes wants to run, so be it. Smiley I hope this won't alter our good relationship with our left-wing brother parties.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »

Barnes for President! I'll be willing to be your running mate if you so wish Cheesy
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

Let's talk party leadership.

Do we want me to be Chairman in any permanent capacity? What other offices do we think we need?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »

Bump

Guys, we still have really important business to discuss.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »

Bump

Guys, we still have really important business to discuss.

Whoops, sorry everyone. Smiley

I think we should have at least a Chairman, Deputy Chairman, and a Whip.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »

Sorry I've been away; I've had Model UN stuff and whatnot. Incidentally, a number of my friends were at a Model UN conference at the University of Chicago this past weekend. Assume that everything Nathan said applies to me also, because he knows what he's doing.

I don't want too much bureaucracy with regard to organization; all that's necessary is a Leader and Deputy Leader. I still don't understand what a Whip would possibly do; if I'm not mistaken, that's an RPP invention.

I have no desire to run for Senate at this point. I would be all for Antonio.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »

Sorry I've been away; I've had Model UN stuff and whatnot. Incidentally, a number of my friends were at a Model UN conference at the University of Chicago this past weekend. Assume that everything Nathan said applies to me also, because he knows what he's doing.

I don't want too much bureaucracy with regard to organization; all that's necessary is a Leader and Deputy Leader. I still don't understand what a Whip would possibly do; if I'm not mistaken, that's an RPP invention.

Model UN sounds quite exciting; hope you had fun. Smiley

To be honest, I've never seen a Whip's position (in regards to Atlasian parties) clearly defined. It can easily be filled by the Chairman or Deputy.

Just to get things moving, I move that Nathan be officially declared Chairman by unanimous consent.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »

Model UN sounds quite exciting; hope you had fun. Smiley

To be honest, I've never seen a Whip's position (in regards to Atlasian parties) clearly defined. It can easily be filled by the Chairman or Deputy.

Just to get things moving, I move that Nathan be officially declared Chairman by unanimous consent.

Seconded.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »

I don't think there would be any objections to that.

And I did have fun, Barnes. Thanks!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »

We need a platform and fast.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »

If it might help you, this is the rough draft I proposed when I founded the SDC :

Here is the idea for a basic platform :
- We support an active involvement of the State in the economy, in order to establish a fair repartition of wealth, to protect the neediest citizens against destitution and to guarantee everybody a universal access to basic services like health and school.
- We support tough regulations on businesses, in order to avoid corporate abuses of power and behaviours detrimental to workers or consumers.
- We support strict gender, racial, religious equality, to be enforced through means that keep the society united. We refuse to split the national community into sub-communities and commit to treat equally every citizen.
- We support a person's freedom to do everything that doesn't harm himself or another person. We believe that the government's job isn't to impose a moral code, even if such moral code is supported by a majority. We commit to protect religious freedom, and also the freedom not to believe.
- We support environmental legislation that will help Atlasia contributing to the reduction of global warming and ensure for every citizen a better quality of life.
- We support a Human Rights diplomacy, based on the idea that every world citizen yearns to live free. We refuse developing friendships with dictators in the name of selfish national interests. We also refuse neoconservative theories, and believe that Atlasia's job is not to uniterally implement regime changes.

It's very brief and vague, but it could serve as a base for further developments.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »

That, plus the education plank we discussed earlier, is helpful, thanks.

There is nothing wrong with the harm principle, but some might fear it as a slippery slope to libertarianism or neoliberalism. Thoughts, anybody?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »

That's why I said "himself or another person". This might plainly justify legislating on matters like drugs or prostitution for example. I exactly wanted to make sure we avoid falling into the libertarian locig.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »

All right, good.

Later tonight I'll see if I can flesh it out a little. If I can't, I'd like to propose a motion to only temporarily adjourn the convention for the election and return to Chicago afterwards to continue to decide these important matters (with the stipulation that it not take too long).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »

So what is going on?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »

I think we should adjourn for the election and then return to continue policy discussions.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2012, 07:03:26 PM by Northeast Speaker Scott »

Just out of curiosity, are you guys endorsing in regional elections?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »

We are/were going to. But this is like herding cats.

Guys, come back. We should decide on our answer to Scott's question.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »

We are/were going to. But this is like herding cats.

Guys, come back. We should decide on our answer to Scott's question.
Sorry I don't have much experience in this game, so i'll probably just end up voting along the party-lines.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies