Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:09:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting  (Read 85215 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »

I thought the convention was adjourned until elections ?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »

I guess it is. I guess we won't have any endorsements or recommended preferencing other than that for President.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »

I just misread the thread title as BRANES FOR PRESIDENT.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:41 AM »

Go vote! Not sure if many people are actually subbed to this thread, and what effect it will have.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »

Voted for Barnes as #1 and Wash as #2.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »

Come on people ! If all the party members vote for Barnes he has a good chance at winning !
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »

Hey everyone!

School has honestly kept me bogged down, but, I did win two awards for Outstanding Attorney at the Mock Trial Competition! Grin

All I ask now of our party is to go and vote.  I ask for unity with all left wing candidates - if we achieve that, we can truly help Atlasia! Smiley
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »

This election is close and we might actually win it!.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2012, 01:39:13 AM »

I thank all of you so very much for putting your faith in me, and even though we didn't win, we sure gave the other two a run for their money!

I know our party is only going up from here!

On that note, I think it would be best if we opened up a forum some where to discuss our platform and have that ratified ASAP.  Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »

Hi.

I joined the Party.

I know than given the lateness, I'm probably not eligible to the end of that convention, but I still want to signal to the Party than I joined Him.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »

MaxQue, you can attend the convention, it's fine.

Let's start discussing platform planks. I'd like to start with education: What do we think of it? Where should we go with it?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2012, 01:40:24 AM by Barnes »

I believe our platform should be something like this:

Education is the stepping stone for success for every Atlaisan.  We believe that is the right of every legal resident to receive a free education provided by the state.  The goal of education is that it will be student centered to allow for the optimal assimilation of knowledge.  The educational curriculum should be administered from an objective standpoint: making the student understand why something happened.  For example: Why something happened in history, not just that it did happen; or why to use a certain mathematical formula, and not just because it solves the equation.

By the time a student reaches the secondary level (High School), courses should be designed to meet their specific career decision and to allow them to accrue college credit in public schools.  It is the long term goal of the party to establish a region-based network to publicly fund state-run universities, thus eliminating income as a factor in furthering one's knowledge.

I also have this proposal for high school education; I'll what y'all think.

When a student is entering the eight grade, they shall choose one of three pathways for post secondary education:
  • Scholarly: The student declares an academic major and enters a "Scholarly Academy" to take classes designed around that major - each class being rewarded with a college credit if the student makes an A (92% or above).  In their first semester students must take one "core class" for Mathematics, the social sciences, English, and the natural sciences; once they pass all four, they may choose to take an examination that (if they pass) will state they are competent in a certain subject, thus allowing them to exempt from taking furhter classes in that field and devoting more time to their major.
  • Primary: The same as a regular high school in the US.  International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement classes still available.
  • Techinal: If the student declares they wish to pursue a technical career, they may enroll in a "Technical Academy", structured in many ways like the "Scholarly Academy."  The student must pass a competency test in all four core classes in their first year or be demoted to a primary school.  At a technical school, students are trained in their trade by members of the community who are experts.  By their third year, they may begin to enroll in internship programs and receive credit going into a technical college.
Also, remove the ability (if it even exists in Atlasia) to drop out of secondary school.

I would like may aboce proposal to be added to the platform as well, but I wanted to get y'all's input, also.  Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:52 AM »

I fully support this plank.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2012, 05:47:23 AM »

Three things.

1. It would be good to correct the few spelling mistakes still in the plank.

3. I really don't like "Primary". UK and UN papers use that word for elementary schools and it would be appreciated to not cause confusion to foreigners coming here with their family for work and  immigrants.

2. Transfert and conversion.
Would a student failing in Scholarly would return in "Primary"?
Can someone leave Scholarly or Technical to go to Primary?
What if the person discover than they hate the technical career they study?

Can someone with a Scholarly go to a technical school after?
Can someone with a Technical go to university after?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »

I would submit that we might change 'Primary' to 'Basic', 'Standard', 'Fundamental', or 'Comprehensive', according to taste.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »

Three things.

1. It would be good to correct the few spelling mistakes still in the plank.

3. I really don't like "Primary". UK and UN papers use that word for elementary schools and it would be appreciated to not cause confusion to foreigners coming here with their family for work and  immigrants.

I have no problems changing the name; I just picked it because it was the only term I could think of. Grin

I would submit that we might change 'Primary' to 'Basic', 'Standard', 'Fundamental', or 'Comprehensive', according to taste.

I would support "Comprehensive."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was thinking that a student's grades should be examined at the end of each semester, and if their overall average falls below an 85, they are transferred to "Primary."  Thoughts?

I'm not entirely sure about transferring to "Primary."  What are y'all's thoughts?  I don't mean to "trap" a student in a school, but there would have to be a cut-off grade to ensure a proper education.  Smiley

If a student wants to change their career options, they should very easily be allowed to do so.  I was thinking also of letting Technical students pursue more than one career.  Is that agreeable?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ideally, each of the three school options should prepare students to enter a university or college of their choice, so the answer is yes.  Should stronger language be used?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »

As the American here, I feel that there should be one larger school with access to all three programs; everyone should know some principles of science, history, etc., but extra emphasis can be put on career pursuits. In addition, it improves socialization between the smarts and the dumbs; though we may feel better at home with our intellectual equals, we need to learn to cope with those different from us (trust me, I find it rather awkward to talk to the "average person").

I'm not saying I like the American system; it needs change and greater flexibility (and those goddamn standardized tests...GOD I hate those), but I feel there should only be a very broad "primary" school. Plus, there are people who may excel in one subject but be mediocre in another. It seems unfair to deny them the chance to take, say, a normal math class and an AP history class.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »

I disagree, will explain later, but I don't think that students should be divided by 9th grade. I am thinking of using the current Community College system and allowing people to diverge starting 11th grade into Technical or traditional 4 or 2 year degrees and going to their community colleges. Make Elementary school 1-6th grades, and middle school 7th-10th.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »

I disagree, will explain later, but I don't think that students should be divided by 9th grade. I am thinking of using the current Community College system and allowing people to diverge starting 11th grade into Technical or traditional 4 or 2 year degrees and going to their community colleges. Make Elementary school 1-6th grades, and middle school 7th-10th.

I would support divergence at 11th grade. Quite frankly I wouldn't want my 8th-grade self making decisions about his future on his own.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »

I would support divergence at 11th grade. Quite frankly I wouldn't want my 8th-grade self making decisions about his future on his own.
This is my main reason, and another reason because the "smarts" need to interact with "dumbs" for sometime when it becomes apparent(probably happens around 4 or 5th grade, by 9th and 10th it's really apparent which road is everyone heading towards, and it's still the part of development where people are defining themselves). I know I am actually speaking out of my ass, since I haven't taken much more than psychological classes, but the first reason is pretty important imo.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »

This is my main reason, and another reason because the "smarts" need to interact with "dumbs" for sometime when it becomes apparent(probably happens around 4 or 5th grade, by 9th and 10th it's really apparent which road is everyone heading towards, and it's still the part of development where people are defining themselves). I know I am actually speaking out of my ass, since I haven't taken much more than psychological classes, but the first reason is pretty important imo.
I'm fine with moving the date to the end of 10th grade, however, I insist on still choosing three different paths.  In this case, continuing at the same school or moving to Scholarly or Technical.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »

I'm fine with moving the date to the end of 10th grade, however, I insist on still choosing three different paths.  In this case, continuing at the same school or moving to Scholarly or Technical.
I think I'm fine with 3 paths, but i would have them set up somewhat different, and outside of Technical it would be ambiguous like it is right now(AP vs Honors vs Normal classes vs basic-skill learning classes). I'll explain more later
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »

I don't think we should take outright different paths to other schools; that seems too rigid.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »

I don't see the purpose of this, to be honest.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »

the Communist Party of Atlasia (Marxist-Lenininst-Tweedist) says NO to the opportunist bourgeois parliamentarism of the Labor Party
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies