Hot or Not: The "46 States to Go" Signs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:37:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hot or Not: The "46 States to Go" Signs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did you think they were a good move or not?
Hot

Not

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Hot or Not: The "46 States to Go" Signs  (Read 2459 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »

If you ask me, they looked like something from an SNL parody of Gingrich. Rather unbecoming and, quite frankly, the sign of a sore loser.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »

In the next few days your guy and his supporters are going to try and end the primary process after only four states have voted and less than 5% of delegates have been assigned, just like they tried to do after Mitt won New Hampshire. The American primary system is screwed up for a number of reasons, but none more so than the fact that the media and the parties push relentlessly to end the democratic process as soon as possible, before the vast majority of the country gets their say.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2012, 10:36:14 PM by Politico »

In the next few days your guy and his supporters are going to try and end the primary process after only four states have voted and less than 5% of delegates have been assigned, just like they tried to do after Mitt won New Hampshire. The American primary system is screwed up for a number of reasons, but none more so than the fact that the media and the parties push relentlessly to end the democratic process as soon as possible, before the vast majority of the country gets their say.

Hypothetical: Romney loses South Carolina, and comes out to a crowd of people waving "47 states to go" signs. What would you say then?

You just want this primary to drag on because it only helps Obama. It's OK to admit it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »

Typical Gingrich. I'm just happy Mittens socked it to him.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »

Neither.  I don't think it matters much, since it's just a sign.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »

The same thing. I think all fifty states should get the chance to vote, or at least every state should get the chance to vote until someone has won a majority of the delegates. The 2008 Democratic primary was a very good thing; it ended the dumb idea from 2000 and 2004 that things have to be done with as quickly as possible, and whoever wins the early states should be crowned the nominee immediately.

And the primary wouldn't be helping Obama if Romney and Gingrich weren't running relentlessly negative, scorched-earth campaigns against each other. Long, drawn-out primaries clearly can help candidates, as 2008 showed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »

Not a good sign, but in some ways, better than the one Mitt has in your sig, Politico.  I believe in America, but I don't believe in Mitt Romney.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »

I thought for a second this was reference to the 46 states that had stronger job growth than Massachusetts during Romney's time as governor.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »

Hypothetical: Romney loses South Carolina, and comes out to a crowd of people waving "47 states to go" signs. What would you say then?

It's equally fair to ask what you would've said then...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »

The nice thing about this field is that Gingrich, Santorum and Paul have nothing to gain by dropping out.  Huntsman, Perry, and Bachmann all had political careers to save.  Romney dropped out in 2008 and McCain in 2000 for the same reasons.

These three guys are on their last rodeo.  They aren't even outspending their fundraising.  None of them even have VP or cabinet aspirations. They'll ride this to the end.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:25:24 AM »

My favorite part about "46 States to Go" is that Newt won't even be on the ballot in all 46.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 01:25:35 AM »

If you ask me, they looked like something from an SNL parody of Gingrich. Rather unbecoming and, quite frankly, the sign of a sore loser.

And, much of the tripe that you have posted here reads like a very bad parody.

In 2008, Hilliary Clinton and Barack Obama traded primary wins all the way to the end. So far, the national numbers have not moved significantly. Nationally, the race is very close. The only thing Romney has going for him is the money to slander opponents in a concentrated area; and the hope of herding the Republican electorate with the bandwagon fallacy. No one really likes him. His negatives are sky high. No one really trusts him after all his flip-flops. And, he doesn't really have any answers to why he held Swiss bank accounts, or transported his dog on the roof of his car.

Frankly, if I were a Romney supporter, I'd appeal to the bandwagon fallacy. He can't run on his record, and, any "stand" he takes on the issues will be taken skeptically given his trackrecord of flip-flopping whenever expedient. His "More Reagan and thou!" stance isn't going to pass the laugh test, let alone the smell test, when it is examined.

After South Carolina the establishment went into panic mode at the thought of Newt being the nominee. After Florida it needs to go to full panic mode.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 02:11:16 AM »

My favorite part about "46 States to Go" is that Newt won't even be on the ballot in all 46.
They should of taken the time to figure the 'actual' number, but people get the drift.
Scabr
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »

That's all Romney has to offer to voters, the "inevitable" factor. His ratings among independents are nerely as bad as Newt's, and he doesn't have any sort of reliable conservative record that Newt has to back his posturing up.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »

Took one from last night to put up on my front door.... love it
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

While these individual state primaries make for some humor, I'd honestly rather see a national primary and a more serious political discourse.

I suppose it will be some time before we reach that point though Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »

Luke-warm.  The phrase is cute, but there are only three stars.  It'd be hot if there were five stars.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies