What makes you Dem/Repub/Indep?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What makes you Dem/Repub/Indep?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: What makes you Dem/Repub/Indep?  (Read 43490 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 04:02:40 AM »

I generally agree with the GOP and like their track record.  I'm fairly close, ond most thing to the GOP than I am to Democratic Party.  I could be comfortable with the right wing of the Democratic Party.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 06:33:36 AM »

In real life, I am a registered Republican. I will be at least until George W Bush leaves office in 2009.

Bush was, in fact, the sole reason why I even registered GOP. Back in 1999/2000, I found his instinctive, but not doctrinaire, emphasis on traditional values most appealing (unlike empty-suit Elizabeth Dole and the bitter, mentally unstable John McCain). Now, it's his recognition that the Religion of Peace is the worst enemy to face civilization since Stalin. Other things such as free trade, Social Security reform, and lower taxes, are vitally important, but secondary, to the evil of international terror. Just kill the bastards!

Moreover, I have never thought much of so-called "fiscal conservatism." That always sounded more like an excuse to jack up rates and taxes to defray the costs of maintaining the welfare state. I'm glad that the modern GOP has eliminated "fiscal conservatism" from its political ideology.

I don't think much of the Democratic Party at all. It is unsalvageable, Joe Lieberman notwithstanding. They really did "Jump The Shark" with this election...bloated and bloviating Michael Moore, Dan Rather, Whoopi Goldberg, Herself (D-NY), etc. 

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 07:44:59 AM »

I vote against the people the religious vote for.  Simple.

I still find it amazing that reasonable people could stay in the GOP, tainted as it is by hate and intolerance.   
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 09:03:07 AM »

im pretty much an anarcho-capitalist.  the republicans are slightly less repulsive than the democrats.

but i think i have more of a passion for social justice than most republicans have.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 09:08:56 AM »

A lot of religious people vote Democratic as well
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 01:34:32 PM »

Economically, I'm "new liberal" and socially, I'm moderate. I suppose when it comes to defence/foreign policy, I'm a 'Hawk'

I support "new liberal" economics because they seek to address the social injustices of laissez-faire capitalism. On social issues, I'm pro-gay civil unions but not marriage; I'm anti-abortion on demand but support it in cases where the psychological and physical well-being of the woman is at risk and I'm moderately pro-guns

I'm a Democrat; partly because of my Georgia ancestry and also because I feel the party has been responsible for most social progress (as acheived by FDR 'New Deal', HST 'Fair Deal' and LBJ 'Great Society').

I consider myself a moderate Democrat

Dave
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2005, 02:00:25 PM »

Economically, I'm closest to the Republican philosophy. I feel that the individual is better able to manage one's money than the federal government and that a competitive free market is the optimal economic system.

Socially, I am pro-life, against the legalization of most drugs, favor the death penalty in some cases, and am against gay marriage. Generally, I fit in with the Republicans.

Foreign policy wise, I lean toward the "hawks" most of the time. The U.S. should do whatever it has to do to protect its citizens, regardless of world opinion.

So, in summary, I guess I would be considered a mainstream Republican in today's political spectrum.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 02:21:20 PM »

A lot of religious people vote Democratic as well

Yes, alas politics is a sorry business of compromise. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »

Basically, I have two reasons

1. The republicans' stance on certain social issues, such as stem-cell research, abortion, and gay marriage

2. I think the Democrats are the best for the middle class, and the republicans tend to still cater to big business
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2005, 03:34:59 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2005, 03:38:51 PM by Senator Nym90 »

I had a long thread about this a few months back. Here it is, for those who may be interested.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=6426.0

For those who don't want to read pages upon pages, I'll sum it up.

The Republican party is controlled by the wealthy and to a somewhat lesser extent the "religious right". Everything that the party leaders do is to the betterment of this unholy alliance, not what's best for America.

The Democrats, for all their flaws, are the only party that stands up for tolerance, social justice, and economic opportunity for all.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 03:35:53 PM »

I still find it amazing that reasonable people could stay in the GOP, tainted as it is by hate and intolerance.   

I don't know who you're talking about, but give em a break...you only jumped ship a couple months ago.

For everyone one of the reasonable people that leaves, the GOP moves further and further right. Personally, I think an even distribution of reasonable people between the 2 parties is the best solution, not a high concentration in one party and low in the other.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »

What does reasonable mean? People that agree with you?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 04:19:57 PM »

What does reasonable mean? People that agree with you?

Yeah, people who agree with me on individual freedoms.  People who mind their own business and have respect for others privacy - like Bullmoose, WalterMitty, Htmldon - and Chaffee/Snowe/Collins/Specter.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2005, 04:20:48 PM »

And like me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2005, 04:21:57 PM »

No, you're religious right.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2005, 04:24:29 PM »

I don't know who you're talking about, but give em a break...you only jumped ship a couple months ago.

For everyone one of the reasonable people that leaves, the GOP moves further and further right. Personally, I think an even distribution of reasonable people between the 2 parties is the best solution, not a high concentration in one party and low in the other.

I'm sorry Bullmoose - I have a lot of respect for the vestiges of the decent GOP.  People like Chaffee, Snowe, Collins, and Specter are of course better than most Democrats.  Still, I think it a mistake to believe you can influence the religious party from such a small minority position.  Besides, I just feel cleaner being disassociated from those haters.  You should try it, its a great relief.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2005, 04:37:06 PM »

You said respect for people's private lives. Well, I don't care about anyone's private life.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2005, 04:46:04 PM »

You said respect for people's private lives. Well, I don't care about anyone's private life.

Sure you do - you're an advocate of oppressing homosexuals and pregnant women, for a start.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2005, 04:55:48 PM »

yawn
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2005, 06:45:44 PM »

I am a Republican, because the Republican party is the only party to stand up to those bloody murderous harlots~yes, those women who support and or have had abortions!
That hellish practice will end once our beloved President is able to put Scalia or Thomas in the driver's seat of the Supreme Court, and another Ultra-Conservative S.C.J. \

Glory, Glory, Halleluiah!  What a day that will be!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »

I am a Republican, because the Republican party is the only party to stand up to those bloody murderous harlots~yes, those women who support and or have had abortions!
That hellish practice will end once our beloved President is able to put Scalia or Thomas in the driver's seat of the Supreme Court, and another Ultra-Conservative S.C.J. \

Hear, Hear
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »

This is why I am a Democrat:

Republicans turn issues into good vs. evil. They pretend that they are ordained by God on this earth and that anyone who disagrees with them is a sinner. And then, instead of pointing out the ridiculousness of people who say stuff like this, the Republicans embrace them as a voting block. They act like God cares about our politics. They support themselves and defend themselves by basically saying "God said to do it!" This scares me.

I dislike the far-left too, but the difference I see is that the far-left would probably never act on what they say, while the far-right has brainswashed itself into thinking it is doing what God wants.

There is no greater danger to American politics than ignoring extremism.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »

I'm a Republican because I want to:
--abolish Social Security and Medicare;
--cut the size of the federal government in half;
--abolish federal judicial review of the Bill of Rights as it relates to the States;
--greatly increase the size of the State governments;
--keep our armed forces second to none;
--get federal government out of almost every domestic affair;
--and adopt a fair and simple tax.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »

In real life, I would be an independent, however since PA has a closed primary system, and I do want to vote in primaries, I am a Democrat because of my slight lean to the left.

I feel that the Republican party (and unfortunetly the Democrats too to a lesser extent) fail to realize that there are major problems going on in the country and the world (with issues like poverty, AIDS, the environment and genocide) and choose to do little about them.

I have strange opinions on social issues, as  I am pro-life (for abortion and death penalty), pro-gay marriage, pro-funding for religious charities, anti-school prayer, pro-Patriot Act and pro-gun control.

From a foreign policy standpoint, I strongly agree with the war in Afghanistan and strongly disagree with the war in Iraq.  I feel after the War in Afghanstian we should have turned our attention to more immediate threats such as North Korea and Iran, and spent more time trying to help peace processes in conflicts such as Israel-Palestine and India-Palestine.

Economically, I am a staunch believer in progresive taxation, as I feel putting money into the hands of the poor and middle class will not only help those geniunely in need, but this money will more likely be spent, rather than just thrown in the bank.  I believe that everyone has the right to an education, health care and a retirement, and if somebody chooses to use a private provider, that's their choice, but the money should not get a tax deduction (I don't believe in school vouchers).

In addition, although I am a Democrat, my favorite government official happens to be a Republican (Chris Shays).
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2005, 11:15:59 PM »

What do you think happens to money when it gets put in a bank?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies