Obama's Catholic hospital decision (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:56:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's Catholic hospital decision (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama's Catholic hospital decision  (Read 7893 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
« edited: February 02, 2012, 12:03:25 PM by With Man Gone, Where There Be Hope for Gorilla? »

You want to fire up the base? I guarantee this will be in every sermon across the nation on Sunday morning and we will vote for the Republican nominee- whoever it is. If Romney wins, I do not like the man but I will vote for him proudly after this decision!

Hmmm, I have a tough time believing I'll hear about this on Sunday. I'll let you all know.

You seem to be under the delusion that most American Catholics agree with their church on birth control, when it's absolutely overwhelming in the other other direction.

Overly dramatic much? Religion does not dictate what the law should be, it's as simple as that.
^^^^^^^^^
But most Republican are Christians first and American last. Why do they hate America?

Hey now, so am I. That's why I won't say the Pledge of Allegiance, which most Republicans certainly wouldn't approve of.

BTW if I remember what Sebelius said on The Daily Show, the fines employers pay over not offering insurance would be used to fund the exchanges that their employees can then use.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:36:48 AM »

There was no reason at all as to why this needed to be done. Sebelius and Obama did it just because they could. No one is going to stop them. They just argue that religious institutions are not exampt from the law. Well they wrote the f***ing law on purpose the screw the Church over. The Obama administration could very easily have given the Church an exemption. They didn't seem to have any trouble with exempting the Amish from the healthcare bill since they don't believe in buying insurance on religious grounds.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever vote for that man. But then again it's been that way for a long time...

Uh, you do know Sebelius is Catholic right?

Anyway some time I'll see if I can find The Daily Show interview, she and Jon Stewart basically discussed this on employers that would pay fines and not provide their employees insurance and how this could fund the exchanges that would.

BRTD, from a political perspective no one cares what they talk about at your church.  You just don't have the #'s to matter.  Even if many Catholics or nominal Catholics could not be bothered by this, it still matters politically.  If only 10%, you are still talking about millions of votes and in a swing demographic.  This was spoken about from the pulpit and was in the church bulletins:

We're actually bigger than many Catholic parishes, I'd estimate we have around 300-400 attendees each week at our three services based on dimensions of the room...but anyway my point is moreso that not every church will be talking about this despite what he said. Most at mine would not even be bothered obviously (I'm sure there are many people at my church against abortion because of evangelical backgrounds and many Bethel U students, but as noted this doesn't deal with abortion.) And yes it'll piss off some Catholics...right wing Catholics who won't be voting for Obama anyway. One of his advisors was even quoted as saying as such in the article. Believe me, you're not going to rally American Catholics against someone in defense of the church's stance on birth control.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2012, 03:14:04 PM by With Man Gone, Where There Be Hope for Gorilla? »

You want to fire up the base? I guarantee this will be in every sermon across the nation on Sunday morning and we will vote for the Republican nominee- whoever it is. If Romney wins, I do not like the man but I will vote for him proudly after this decision!

Nope! The title was "Loving God and Your Neighbors" and went over Acts 10 and showing hospitality and kindness to the people actually around you in your life. Something the Catholic Church should heed actually...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »

True there is no reason for them to talk about it but:

And how many of those people employed aren't even Catholic?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »

As someone who has shopped at a Muslim-owned liquor store before I'm having a very difficult time seeing why I should care.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »

There needs to be a campaign making it very clear to people how a bunch of old men in funny hats are causing your premiums to rise, and how Obama fought to stop that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies