What makes you Dem/Repub/Indep? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:49:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What makes you Dem/Repub/Indep? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What makes you Dem/Repub/Indep?  (Read 43582 times)
J-Mann
United States

« on: January 06, 2005, 02:40:25 AM »

In America, Your symbol would be an (I), for irrelevant.   Being an independent is like abstaining from the political process.

I certainly wouldn't call 1/3rd of the voting population irrelevant.  Independents are often the uninformed, easily swayed segment of the population, but I don't think that one should have to definitively choose one party or the other.  If being independent or unaffiliated floats your boat, so be it.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:20:30 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2005, 03:23:18 AM by J-Mann »

Even though no one asked, here's my answer Wink

Despite the green avatar, I only play an independent on the forum; I’ve been a registered Republican for over four years.  Bush got my vote twice, and I’ve voted for Roberts and Brownback (our two Republican Senators) and Jerry Moran (my US Rep and a Republican) three times.  I’m not above voting for Democrats, though; I’ve worked on a couple of Democratic campaigns and will probably vote for Kathleen Sebelius in 2006.  But Kansas Democrats are typically pretty far removed from the “liberals” that put the stereotypical face on the national Democratic Party.

I break up US politics into three basic areas: social, economic, and international. 

Socially, I’m pretty conservative.  I’m very pro-life and despite the near-futility of pressing the issue, I still favor a pro-life candidate over one who is pro-choice.  I favor harsh penalties (including death) for criminals and think that rehabilitation is useless in many circumstances.  I’m in favor of the War on Drugs and think drugs should continue to be illegal; also, strict enforcement of our alcohol laws should be adhered to.  I don’t like affirmative action (which could be an economic issue, also, I suppose).  I like the structure of organized religion and the idea of federal funding for faith-based charities.  Anyone who has kept up with my posts over the last few months has probably figured out that I’m quite religious, as well.  Still, I’ve got some more liberal aspects to my social beliefs: I’m not out-and-out pro-gay rights, but I can’t advocate discrimination of homosexuality and have written a lot in opposition to Kansas’ attempt to “ban” gay marriage through a constitutional amendment.  I also strictly hold to the separation of Church and state.  I don’t believe in wild tobacco regulation, either; that’s traditionally a conservative position, but it’s actually liberal if you think about it.  Feel free to ask me about positions that I’ve left off, but the political compass puts me as moderately conservative on social issues.

When it comes to international relations, I’m an absolute hawk.  I can see the liberal point of view on many international issues, but I do not accept it.  I think the UN is defunct and corrupt; France is one of my few objects of hatred.  I’m fully in favor of the US expanding and consolidating its power throughout the world, because I think we really do have the greatest system of government and the greatest people in the world.  I’m very into “American exceptionalism”.  I embrace neoconservative idealism on the global scale.  Militarily, we need to stay prepared.  Three to four percent of GDP spent our military is about right; perhaps it should be a bit higher.  Sic vis pacem, para bellum.  We need to stay at the cutting edge of technological breakthroughs to keep ahead of other nations, both militarily and economically.  With strength comes alliances, with alliances come balance, and with balance comes peace.

Economically, you could probably say I’m moderate-to-liberal.  The unbridled free market can end up screwing a lot of people, and I’ve got no problem with limited government intervention in many areas of economic interest.  Basic public health is a good idea, in my opinion.  Trust-busting to ensure fair competition is fine.  Tax cuts are okay so long as they don’t go too far; anymore, it’s simply become a political issue for Republicans to win on.  Kansas Republicans screwed up our economy by cutting state income taxes too much, with the burden falling on rural counties to pick up the slack.  I favor government funding of the arts and of history museums.  Public education is a good thing and should be fully and adequately funded.

So there it is; that’s why I’m a Republican, although I’m one of a different stripe.  A lot of Republicans are more socially liberal than they are economically, but I’m a populist Republican in the old sense of the ideology.  I’m atavistic – a throwback, if you will.  I cling to older things, both materialistic and idealistic.  It’s evident in my political beliefs.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 11:21:54 PM »

Economically, I am a staunch believer in progresive taxation, as I feel putting money into the hands of the poor and middle class will not only help those geniunely in need, but this money will more likely be spent, rather than just thrown in the bank.  I believe that everyone has the right to an education, health care and a retirement, and if somebody chooses to use a private provider, that's their choice, but the money should not get a tax deduction (I don't believe in school vouchers).

I agree with you on most of this, except for the "putting money in the bank" part.  If the poor and the middle class want to save money in a bank, they should go for it.  It's being redistributed through loans, etc. anyway and used in other segments of the economy.  But I don't want to take you out of context either - I think your overall meaning is that you'd rather have the poor and middle class inject their money into the economy than not use it.  Putting it in banks is injecting it into the economy.  It only does them no good if the government has it.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 11:24:52 PM »

I'm a Republican because I want to:
--abolish Social Security and Medicare;
--cut the size of the federal government in half;
--abolish federal judicial review of the Bill of Rights as it relates to the States;
--greatly increase the size of the State governments;
--keep our armed forces second to none;
--get federal government out of almost every domestic affair;
--and adopt a fair and simple tax.

The Republican party stands for none of these-save the armed forces part.  The rest they pay lip service to to get votes.  I am a Republican but you have to realize the hypocrisy within ones own party.

Voting Republican helps move the country in that direction, though.

I think that ideologically the Republicans stand for more of those than just the armed forces part, but they certainly can't (and won't) be done on a whim.  And while Republicans advocate keeping the federal government out of economic affairs, they take a different line when it comes to social issues.  But as for the rest of them...the Rs would move us more in that direction; slowly, very slowly.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:28:50 PM »

When I receive my paycheck, I put in the bank, and when I go to the ATM to take it out, i haven't lost any money because of taxes.

Dude...read my above post.  That's not all a bank does.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:12:46 AM »

The Republican party shouldn't and won't abolish Social Security or Medicare.

I'm hoping we get some Supreme Court justices who actually care about the Constitution, so that those programs can be struck down as blatantly unconstitutional, which they are.

So in that instance, what do you do to repay the people who have payed in for 40 years but haven't reached retirement age to receive any of their money yet, like my father?  Do you just tell them, "Tough sh**t?"  No matter how hawkish you may be, Philip, you can't think that's right.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 04:52:30 AM »

WMS - that was perfectly clear to me.  I'm also a populist (a little further in each direction than you), and except for marijuana legalization, I think you and I match up on just about everything. 

And I hope you don't mind if I use your quote - "How you treat those who are weakest is the test of your ultimate character" - that is fantastic and quite true.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies