American counterparts of French Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:18:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  American counterparts of French Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American counterparts of French Presidents  (Read 5155 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »

Give us Paul Deschanel!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »

Roosevelt was in no way on the right of the political spectrum.

You know, de Gaulle was very annoyed when someone tried to classify him as either right- or left-wing. As well as he rejected such classification of gaullism.

While it's true gaullist movement (and by gaullism movement I mean political parties, starting with RPF) had many right-wingers, and with Pompidou succession it became genuinely centre-right force, there was a significant number of left-wingers around de Gaulle. Just to name Andre Marlaux, Rene Capitant and, by some measure, Jacques Chaban-Delmas. Even pre-Algerie francaise Soustelle.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2012, 02:26:11 PM by The Count »

Because of his historical role as well as his "idea of France", de Gaulle was a political exception. He did not believe in political ideologies, as we use to define. You may call him a nationalist, but not in any negative meaning of this term. He displayed some right-wing elements, as well as some left-wing elements. He was, personally, a traditionalist and "sentimental monarchist", but firmly stand on a republican and democratic ground and, according to all accounts, he was also a very open-minded and tolerant individual.

"Gaullism", under the general, was an absolute commitment to France and her grandeur. So you may try to define it as believing in a public service and putting it above everything.

...also, give us Paul Deschanel, damn it!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »

It's really impossible to compare 3rd/4th Republic Presidents with American ones, considering how different their functions are. However, if we have to look for a pathetic failure as pathetic as Deschanel (in the fashion "what the f**k is he doing ?!?"), only John Tyler comes to my mind.

I can't do better than that, sorry.

No alternative proposals ?

Oh, I missed that, sorry.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »

Anyway, I generally agree with Antonio's analysis.

As of Giscard, it's funny, since, unlike "Jimmy Who", he was literally born into a political establishment, but indeed became President as an underdog. He was merely a leader of a junior coalition party and I doubt he'd win without pompidouist deserting Chaban. And, true, he lacked a firm political base.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

Your description of Sarkozy makes him sound very much like Nixon.

Oh come on now, Xahar. After all, Nixon was actually an accomplished man.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 03:12:49 PM by Hell is in New Jersey »

Was Nixon really hated by congressional democrats before the Watergate ? Hell, he basically governed like a democrat, on domestic issues at least.

That's not really true, despite the perception. He didn't win the whole South by adopting the principles of Hubert Humphrey's Democratic Party.

Well, I think most of this can be explained by who his opponent was and by his rhetoric. Of course Nixon wasn't as left-wing as Humphrey but it seems to me that some of his policies (minimum wage, developing Affirmative Action, trying to pass a public health care) were pretty close to a left-wing platform, even for that time.

At the same time, Nixon administration opposed busing and he appointed conservative justices, which was pretty appealing to the South. Not to mention his ideological policy ("silent majority").

Nixon liked to think of himself as a modern Disraeli: the one who maintains conservative rethorics and basic principles, while being able, unlike an official left, to pass modern initiatives.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »

Ah, if we're talking about American counterparts to other French politicians...

EXCESSIVE HYPERBOLE ALERT

=

And...

=

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies