Canadian by-elections, 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:45:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2012  (Read 86825 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »

Poll by poll results of the Fall by-elections have been posted (a few days ago) on the Elections Canada site: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rep/off/ovr_2012b&document=index&lang=e

Krago has sent me some maps, I will post them later.

Excellent! Really looking forward to seeing those, particularly the Calgary and Victoria ones.

Victoria is quite.... bizarre. As to be expected in an NDP vs Green race, I guess.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #851 on: February 28, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »

Poll by poll results of the Fall by-elections have been posted (a few days ago) on the Elections Canada site: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rep/off/ovr_2012b&document=index&lang=e

Excellent! Really looking forward to seeing those, particularly the Calgary and Victoria ones.

Victoria is quite.... bizarre. As to be expected in an NDP vs Green race, I guess.

Yeah, the relative closeness of those two is the reason I am interested in them. So no real discernable patterns in Victoria, just randomness?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #852 on: February 28, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »

Yeah, the relative closeness of those two is the reason I am interested in them. So no real discernable patterns in Victoria, just randomness?

There's always patterns. If I were more knowledgeable about the city, I could have more to say. Obviously the Oak Bay area is more wealthy and therefore more right wing, but neither the Greens nor the NDP did well there (well, the Greens won Oak Bay, I think, but had lower margins than in the areas they won in Victoria).

Basically, the wealthy areas were 3 way races between the Greens, Liberals and Tories while the less wealthy areas were 2 way races between the NDP and Greens. But beyond that, I'm not knowledgeable enough to discern any patterns.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #853 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2013, 06:16:33 PM by Hatman »

Here's Victoria. I'll upload the others later.

Compare to 2011:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #854 on: February 28, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »

Due to mass vote splitting, the NDP actually won some polls that they had lost last time, probably with a much lower share of the vote.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #855 on: February 28, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »

Due to mass vote splitting, the NDP actually won some polls that they had lost last time, probably with a much lower share of the vote.

I assume due to vote splitting, I also see a poll won by the Tories, which they didn't win in 2011 (on the water, immediately West of the Parliament).
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #856 on: March 02, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »

This is obviously just very speculative guessing, but I wonder whether the reason the city is so un-polarized is that the Green vote skews both younger and more educated/upper-middle-class, which cancel each other out geographically. Meaning: in the more affluent professional areas on the south shore and the east by Oak Bay, the Liberal and Tory vote swung Green but there is a base of older public-sector/academic NDP voters, while in the cheaper areas inland and northwest towards Esquimalt the less well-off long-term residents vote NDP but the Greens won the students and other young renters.
adma
« Reply #857 on: March 03, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »

Not unlike the fed-prov results in Ontario at the height of the "NDP-Green" split in the late '00's (esp. in campus towns like Guelph, Waterloo, Kingston, etc)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #858 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

I'll make a median age map of Victoria to see if there's any trends...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #859 on: March 04, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Here's a median age map

If anything, the younger areas were more likely to vote NDP.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #860 on: March 14, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »

Peter Penashue has resigned and will contest the Labrador by-election.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #861 on: March 14, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

Good to see he's doing the right thing, even though it was a campaign volunteer, and not himself, who did the wrong thing.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #862 on: March 14, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »

Good to see he's doing the right thing, even though it was a campaign volunteer, and not himself, who did the wrong thing.

I HIGHLY doubt this was an "error" made by a volunteer (who happens to be well respected and experienced, CBC politics just debunk that).
He did wrong, took freebies and corporate donations... finally stepped up though cause he had to, legally.

Was a dogfight between the Liberals and the Tories last time; i'm going with three-way fight (due to the high level of support for the NDP in NFLD).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #863 on: March 14, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »

PNP reporting that there are more donations TBR. CPC saying he's paid the Receiver-General 30k.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #864 on: March 14, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »

Wrong thread guys, this is for the 2012 by-elections.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies