Canadian by-elections, 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:41:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2012  (Read 86872 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: February 15, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »

I'm certainly getting very excited over constituency polling for a by-election. Roll Eyes
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

Well, this is really off-topic, but I'm always in downtown Ottawa on weekdays if anybody, randomly, decides to visit Bytown for whatever reason.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »

the NDP now carry the heavy-weight candidate card, will it make the difference?

The chair of the local school board is not a particularly noteworthy candidate. This person doesn't even have a wikipedia page about her.

Don't destroy their fantasies.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

Looking bad Sad
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »

This kind of reminds me of those QC by-elections in 2001 or 2002 where the ADQ swept basically everything and went from like 10-15% to winning with 50ish%.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »

OK, congrats NDP. Anything which gives a black eye to Tim Hudak is fine by me, even if this is terrible.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »

Nice job, Tim Hudak!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »

Random question: does Canada have the same "if you're in line when polls closed then you get to vote" standard as U.S. elections? I'm aware that line-ups are rarely longer than 15 or 20 minutes so it's not really as much of an issue.

I worked during the last federal and provincial elections and I don't recall that it came up, but I think we would have let everybody in line vote.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »

Random question: does Canada have the same "if you're in line when polls closed then you get to vote" standard as U.S. elections? I'm aware that line-ups are rarely longer than 15 or 20 minutes so it's not really as much of an issue.

I think so. I've never seen it happen though. Whenever I've scrutineered, there is barely anyone around when the polls close. But then again, polls close late in Ontario to accommodate the west. (compare Durham is closing at 9:30 local time and Calgary Centre is at 7:30 local time).

Things are different in the UK, right? I remember huge issues in their last election.

To those who already scrutineered, does lanes are common, or quite rare?

It really depends on the time of day. When people get off work in the evenings or at lunch, or in the morning before they go to work; there's a good chance that there will be a lineup. In October, we had a pretty big lineup starting at around 5:30-6pm which lasted 30 minutes after a really, really dead afternoon. It always stays a bit busy after 7pm until the polls closes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies