Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:15:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain  (Read 5467 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »

The obvious solution is for the British to sell the island (for free while buying out the settlers) to the Tehuelche who then would prevent all Argentine access to the Islands and declare them an independent state. Obvious solution really.

I would be more in favor of the indigenous people of Argentina kicking the whites out of Argentina and relegating them to the Falklands.

Kicking indigenous people out of the country and relegating them to some island that has nothing to do with them, sounds pretty whack.

That, of course, would be the ideal solution. But do we really want Western Europe and North America to be full of Argentine refugees? Most Spaniards find them near insufferable as it is...
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »

My solution would be slightly different. Get everyone out of the islands and then nuke the friggin things. Maybe if they are rendered uninhabitable for 100 years we'll get lucky and the issue will be put to rest Grin

Considering the Tehuelches and the Mapuches got almost 10.000 hectares of land given by the Santa Cruz government a few months ago, I doubt they'd be interested in moving to the Falklands Tongue

And no, the other solution of the whites leaving isn't to my satisfaction either since I have no interest of going either to the islands or to Spain (primarily because they dub every damn movie and it annoys me greatly). And North America? Ugh, no thanks.

Though I would support evicting everyone form the islands, making some kind of concentration camp and then imprision every politician and sports journalist we have. That would be cool too Cheesy
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »

My solution would be slightly different. Get everyone out of the islands and then nuke the friggin things. Maybe if they are rendered uninhabitable for 100 years we'll get lucky and the issue will be put to rest Grin

Considering the Tehuelches and the Mapuches got almost 10.000 hectares of land given by the Santa Cruz government a few months ago, I doubt they'd be interested in moving to the Falklands Tongue

And no, the other solution of the whites leaving isn't to my satisfaction either since I have no interest of going either to the islands or to Spain (primarily because they dub every damn movie and it annoys me greatly). And North America? Ugh, no thanks.

Though I would support evicting everyone form the islands, making some kind of concentration camp and then imprision every politician and sports journalist we have. That would be cool too Cheesy

That, of course, is a most excellent point. Perhaps there is some use for prison-camp after all (though I suggest that is what we should use South Georgia for...)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »

Most Spaniards find them near insufferable as it is...

Most Spaniards? Most people, would be more precise Smiley)) Though, I guess, we could do something to accomodate the folks from outside the BA: it's the porteņos whom everyone hates Smiley))
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »

In other news (well, similar news) earlier today CFK called the governing party and the opposition leaders to join her in the Pink house because she was going to give an important speech about the Islands.
Some controversy happened during the day because she refused to divulge what the speech was going to be about.

Well, she just finished giving it and apparently she's declassifying the "Rattenbach report" which as far as I know was a report made by General Rattenbach shortly after the war about all the stuff that went wrong in the conflict.
The report was commissioned by Reynaldo Bignone, the military dictator that succeeded Galtieri. rattenbach was expected to do a report that highlighted some flaws but that could be used as a propaganda tool by the government by saying "yeah, we made mistakes, but we were close" or some sh**t like that.
Rattenbach apparently didn't give a crap and he proceded to write a highly critical report that not only talked about all the mistakes made, but also held the heads of the dictatorship and several military officers as directly responsible for the screw up that was the war and even hints that Galtieri and some others should be tried and could get the death penalty. I think It also calls the war and Insane military adventure.

Of course this wasn't what the military junta had in mind so they basically sealed the report and marginalized Rattenbach. They probably would have killed him or something, but this guy wasn't just "some general", he was the most senior retired general in the country at the time and one of the most prestigious. In fact he wrote this report at the age of 89 years (he died in 1983 at the age of 90).

I heard that some parts of the report were modified by the military way back in 1982-83 to alleviate some of the responsibility for mistakes made by officers.

Anyway, should be an interesting read, but frankly I'm gonna wait till the issue of the Falklands fades a bit since I'm sick of it right now Tongue
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »

The last empire to have "bossed them around" was Spain.

!?!!!
My history classes on the XIX and XX centuries were way different. Either historiography has changed since, or you're missing the big picture here.
Jacobtm

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

The last empire to have "bossed them around" was Spain.

!?!!!
My history classes on the XIX and XX centuries were way different. Either historiography has changed since, or you're missing the big picture here.

I take it in Brazil no one has to explain to anyone else what the American Empire is, or what role the IMF and World Bank play in it.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »

I have a different definition of "empire" and "bossing around" from the one given in Brazilian schools, I guess Smiley)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:56 AM »

I have a different definition of "empire" and "bossing around" from the one given in Brazilian schools, I guess Smiley)

British banking and commercial practices left Argentina a de facto dependent with severely compromised sovereignty in the 19th century, and one could argue the same applies for the IMF in the 20th.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

British banking and commercial practices left Argentina a de facto dependent with severely compromised sovereignty in the 19th century, and one could argue the same applies for the IMF in the 20th.

And one could argue both to be baloney.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »

Sure. And be heavily hackish.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »

The Falklanders.. fancy themselves Britons. Argentina has never controlled the Falklands, and has no legitimate claim. Argentina, now, has decided to go and act in a threatening manner towards the Falklands and, with their history, Britain is wholly justified in acting in sending whatever forces they deem appropriate.

I mean, their claim is basically "they are far, far away, and we are very close so it is ours". Not the most solid reasoning.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »

My two months or so in Argentina have basically convinced me that the cradle to grave propaganda the argentineans get about the Malvinas means there will never be any resoultion unless they become Argentinean. I'm also more convinced than ever that they shouldn't be Tongue
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »

Falklands always have, and always will have the Falklands.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »

Sure. And be heavily hackish.

that's in the eye of the beholder
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »

You got it all wrong people, clearly Argentina should be given back to the Natives, but all the White Argentinians should be deported to the Falklands (which would thus have enough inhabitants to be granted independence.)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »

You got it all wrong people, clearly Argentina should be given back to the Natives, but all the White Argentinians should be deported to the Falklands (which would thus have enough inhabitants to be granted independence.)

Sure. But, as I do not believe there are any Natives left from those originally around the Buenos Aires, once its current population is transferred to the Malvinas I suggest giving that spot to the current Falkland population, renaming the place Port Stanley. Of course, the new residents of Port Stanley would vote to become British.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies