Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain  (Read 5522 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:08 AM »

As a Latin American, I would like to express a wholehearted and most sincere support for the British government and the people of the Falklands on this issue.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2012, 08:41:48 PM by ag »

The last empire to have "bossed them around" was Spain. And, actually, if you think about it, had that empire not planted a fairly trivial number of colonists halfway accross the world, Argentina, as we know it, would not have existed. In fact, if you think about it again, the ancestors of many, if not most, Argentinians have, probably, spent even less time in that part of the world than the ancestors of most Falklanders: the bulk of that country's population are fairly late arrivals by any standards.

The people of the Falklands deserve as much the right of self-determination as the people of Argentina. And they have chosen to exercise that right by staying a dependent territory of the United Kingdom. There is no reason to believe that the UK would not have let them go free, had they asked for that. Likewise there is no reason for the islands to be Argentinian - no more reason, than for Buenos Aires to be British, that is.

And, BTW, Canada does not seem to object to St. Pierre and Miquelon being French, does it?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »

Most Spaniards find them near insufferable as it is...

Most Spaniards? Most people, would be more precise Smiley)) Though, I guess, we could do something to accomodate the folks from outside the BA: it's the porteņos whom everyone hates Smiley))
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »

I have a different definition of "empire" and "bossing around" from the one given in Brazilian schools, I guess Smiley)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

I have a different definition of "empire" and "bossing around" from the one given in Brazilian schools, I guess Smiley)

British banking and commercial practices left Argentina a de facto dependent with severely compromised sovereignty in the 19th century, and one could argue the same applies for the IMF in the 20th.

And one could argue both to be baloney.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »

British banking and commercial practices left Argentina a de facto dependent with severely compromised sovereignty in the 19th century, and one could argue the same applies for the IMF in the 20th.

And one could argue both to be baloney.

Sure. And be heavily hackish.

that's in the eye of the beholder
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »

You got it all wrong people, clearly Argentina should be given back to the Natives, but all the White Argentinians should be deported to the Falklands (which would thus have enough inhabitants to be granted independence.)

Sure. But, as I do not believe there are any Natives left from those originally around the Buenos Aires, once its current population is transferred to the Malvinas I suggest giving that spot to the current Falkland population, renaming the place Port Stanley. Of course, the new residents of Port Stanley would vote to become British.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies