Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:03:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latin American nations take a look at sanctioning Great Britain  (Read 5510 times)
Jacobtm

« on: February 05, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/05/world/americas/venezuela-argentina-dispute/index.html

''It's time for Latin America to come up with sanctions against this confused power intent on imperialism and colonialism in the 21st century, I think we should take more concrete actions,'' said Ecuador's President Rafael Correa.

He was referring to the refusal of Great Britain to accept 40 UN resolutions calling for dialogue between London and Buenos Aires, which Argentina had accepted but the UK hadn't.

''Why the asymmetry? If a Latin American country had disobeyed a UN resolution, how many sanctions would be leveled against us?'' asked Correa.

''Argentina won't be alone this time if the British Empire decides to attack it militarily,'' said the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, confirming that his country isn't a major power but ''we have a few weapons, and the will to combat any imperialist agression''.
Jacobtm

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »

The thing is I can't see any reason Argentina "deserves" the Falklands, or even the surrounding waters.

Planting 3,000 colonists on an island nowhere near Great Britain doesn't in any way mean Great Britain ''deserves'' the Falklands either.

Argentinians deserve the Falklands the same way we'd reject France controlling Long Island. They don't want the British Empire in their back yard, claiming rights over the waters in that area. They've had enough of empires bossing them around.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »

We'll give it back when the American Empire gives Japan the Marianas and Cuba Guantanamo.

Both of those things should happen.

Can you imagine if Cuba had a city in Florida where they tortured political prisoners?
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »

The obvious solution is for the British to sell the island (for free while buying out the settlers) to the Tehuelche who then would prevent all Argentine access to the Islands and declare them an independent state. Obvious solution really.

I would be more in favor of the indigenous people of Argentina kicking the whites out of Argentina and relegating them to the Falklands.

Kicking indigenous people out of the country and relegating them to some island that has nothing to do with them, sounds pretty whack.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

The last empire to have "bossed them around" was Spain.

!?!!!
My history classes on the XIX and XX centuries were way different. Either historiography has changed since, or you're missing the big picture here.

I take it in Brazil no one has to explain to anyone else what the American Empire is, or what role the IMF and World Bank play in it.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies